Tearful Reunion for Family and Dog Believed Dead

Unable to afford emergency care after a freak backyard accident, A California family relinquished their dog to the SPCA to be euthanized nearly two weeks ago. Frank Martinez said he and his wife have been grieving the loss of Kayla since then – and could not believe it when they learned that she was still alive this weekend.

Martinez said Kayla was injured when she fell. “The concrete was wet and she slipped and fell on a spike we used to keep the dog tied to go round and round. It ripped a huge hole in her chest,” said Martinez.

The family rushed Kayla to a vet, and were devastated to learn that they could not afford the charges necessary to treat her. It became clear in a matter of days that she would succumb to her injuries, so they brought her to the Central California SPCA to be euthanized and said a painful goodbye.

“I gave her a huge hug and I told her I was so sorry I was poor and I hoped she could forgive me and then she got off and they took her around the corner, and that was the last I seen of her,” said Martinez.

That was June 20. “It was very hard, very difficult, we were crying constantly. Everywhere I looked, I would imagine her being there,” said Francine Martinez.

On Friday, the SPCA called the family to deliver some very good news. Moved by the heartfelt farewell they had witnessed, employees had decided to take on Kayla as a special case – and they saved her life.

Martinez was speechless. “I was having a heart attack. I was overcome with emotion,” said Martinez.

The relieved family retrieved Kayla this weekend, and cameras were rolling when they were reunited with the dog they thought they had lost.

48 thoughts on “Tearful Reunion for Family and Dog Believed Dead”

1. The human hearts were as big as the dogs heart,lovely people, beautiful dog. Happy lives to all involved!. xx

2. This is a great outcome! I sure hope they get rid of that spike. I really feel dogs should NOT be tied to anything that could hurt them and certainly not tied out very long and preferably not tied out at all.
    Hopefully getting their dog back from the dead will move them to make whatever improvements are necessary to keep her safe from now on.
    Blessings to the folks that pitched in to save this dog. There are some truly good folks out there.

3. My goodness. A war between two sides. Instead of even thinking of these people with the dog, why aren’t we celebrating the good and kind people at the vet clinic???

4. So the moral of the story is to get a dog when you can’t afford even one-off emergency treatment. Keep your dog tied to a dangerous stake outside. And then when you have handed you dog over to be killed, you’ll get a lovely article written about you, and get the dog given back into your care. Yeah a heartwarming tale…not.

• I don’t have a fence and can’t afford a fence so I am considering a zip line so my puppy can enjoy the backyard…am I a bad dog owner too? Maybe everyone who has negatively posted should be happy that the dog in this story and many others have HAPPY, SAFE homes with people that LOVE them — how about spending your time lobbying for lower vet costs????

• I know why you’re anonymous. Well, in that case, you shouldn’t have children because, god knows, they are always having accidents and costing their parents more than they can probably afford. So you better not have kids. And then there is the car… you might have an accident in that and the insurance company might decide not to cover you so you’d better hope you have enough money to cover the other person’s costs. Yeh, you better not have a car, too and your house! freak storm comes up and blows off your roof. Insurance covers minimal but you are going to be left to find a huge amount of money to get things right. You’re right again..better forget the house. In fact, why don’t you just lay down in your coffin and wait?

5. Wonderful news about the dog. HOWEVER the thing that jumped out at me are the black eyes of the wife! Did anyone else notice that?

6. How can you say they love her when they tie her out on a stake and tney take her to the animal shelter to be euthanized?? Does that really make sense people?

• … AND DIDN’T STAY TO BE WITH HER WHEN SHE DIED. I am SO dismayed by folks’ sympathizing w these obviously unqualified pet owners.

• You’re kidding, right? I couldn’t watch that. Sorry if that makes me a bad person in your eyes, but it’s not about you.

• Some shelters in the area where I used to live (south east) would not allow you to stay after you signed your pet over. I don’t know about all shelters obviously, I am just stating what I have heard from animal control officers that lived near me in the south east

7. I would sell my blood to pay the vet bill. NOT KILL MY PET.

IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO CARE FOR A PET DONT HAVE ONE.

Goos on the lovely people that saved his life.

• So what you’re saying is they should’ve just dumped her in a shelter or on the street before this happened, because they can’t afford her? Accidents happen and you can’t always have money for them. Many vets require payment at time of treatment or refuse to treat – AND THEY CAN DO THAT.

• Anonymous…..Not everyone has that luxury of being able to come up with a couple thousand dollars on the drop of a hat. If a vet would allow them to make payments, I’m sure they’d have paid any amount to save their dog. And they did’t just DUMP their dog off at the shelter to be killed. They held the dog, and cried and told him they loved him. Shame on you for being so judgemental. I agree that if you own a dog then you should be ablel to afford the normal everyday costs, but this was an emergency. I don’t like dogs being tethered either. But, if this was just for it to go potty and it normally lived IN the house, that is acceptable. What ISN’T acceptable, is a dog running loose because the owners don’t care. Have a little mercy.