Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.
You may have already stumbled across this clever and completely accurate list of rules for sharing a home with dogs, but as often as I see it mentioned I never see it attributed to the source. A quick search turned up The Dog Rules: (Damn Near Everything) by William J. Thomas. I’ve not read this, but Thomas sure seems to have life with dogs figured out, and the reviews are promising. I thought it worth a mention with the holidays coming: I never have enough gift ideas for Christmas.
1. The dog is not allowed in the house!
2. Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
3. The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
4. The dog can get on the OLD furniture only.
5. Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to
sleep with the humans on the bed.
6. All right, the dog is allowed on the bed, but ONLY by invitation.
7. The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but NOT under
8. The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation ONLY.
9. The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.