The Dogs are Alright: The Vick Dogs Make a Comeback

Next weekend at the NFL’s Pro Bowl, Michael Vick’s comeback season will officially end. Vick returned to professional football after serving time in prison for funding and participating in a brutal dog fighting ring based out of his Virginia home.

Michael Vick got a second chance, leading the Philadelphia Eagles through a winning season and into the playoffs. He will likely be offered a multimillion dollar contract next year as a result.

But what has become of the dogs?

Life With Dogs post end paw print

24 thoughts on “The Dogs are Alright: The Vick Dogs Make a Comeback”

1. If only there was no need for rehabilitation. (sigh)

This is such an inspirational story about what a little love and patience can achieve. Made me cry, but they are happy tears for all these found souls who have been given a second chance.

2. I agree with Tcastle. Vick got a slap on the wrist. People who fight dogs are a special kind of sociopath. Michael Vick didn’t regret anything except getting caught. That same arm that throws that football tortured and killed many dogs…..think about that as we cheer him on.

3. I cannot tell you how livid I am that this is not captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing. Shame on you, PBS!

4. I don’t have a dry eye after watching this video. I am happy the dogs have learned love from their owners and found out the world isn’t a scary place. Vic should have stayed in prison for a lifetime.

• I was crying watching the video, it is so sad what the poor dogs went through. I am so glad that there were people out there willing to help them and had the knowledge to do so. I have to agree that Vic should have stayed in prison I think he got off way to easy. The dogs that dies because of him did not get a second chance why should he?

5. I have a little pit bull with severe head injuries from being beaten by a dogfighter. I live what what these sociopaths can do and my beautiful little girl will never have a normal life. Vick never served a day for abuse – those charges were taken off the table at sentencing. Now he gets a good life and some of his vicktims can never leave a sanctuary because they are so damaged.

How does a man who tortured dogs get to be a national “hero”? I’m so disappointed in our President. I voted for him and never thought he was so clueless. You have to make good decisions as a President and this was the worst. Dogfighting is everywhere and on the rise. What are we as a nation going to do about it?

6. Thank you so much for showing this. I often wondered what happened to the dogs. Pits are one of the most loving, amazing and character-filled breeds. I love them so much. I cannot express the rage and hatred I have for Vick and his ilk. It overwhelms me…I pray he burns.

7. Thank you for showing this video–I ordered The Lost Dogs and read Jim Gorant’s book in one sitting. He did an excellent job of portraying both the suffering of these poor dogs and the total misunderstanding that follows pits, fighting dogs or not. I recommend this book to anyone, no, everyone, as a primer as to the real nature of these wonderful dogs. Pit bulls are one of the most loving, loyal, and big-hearted breeds around, it is just a shame that people are so blinded by all the bad news about them. I agree with the other posters here…the only thing Vick is sorry about is getting caught, and I think he should have to give a large portion of his money to support the care and rehabilitation of any rescued pits, I like the idea of him working in a shelter as a clean-up person pretty well, too! It is my dream to one day open a no-kill shelter/pit bull rescue…and to use the shelter dogs as therapy dogs for autistic children. The fact that several of the dogs rescued from Vick are therapy animals gives me hope that maybe one day it will happen!