Dog News

Waiter Faces Backslash after Scorching Dog with Hot Water

by Katherine

Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.

On December 2015, a Chilean waiter caused third degree burns on 20% of a dog’s body after the man threw boiling water onto a dog in a cruel attempt to kick the dog out of the restaurant.

Photo credit: PerrosPlazaHuem/Twitter
Photo credit: PerrosPlazaHuem/Twitter

The dog named Polaco does have a loving owner, and the woman is distraught over the injuries the restaurant employee caused her dog.

It is customary in Latin American countries to allow house pets to roam the streets freely. Polaco’s owner owns a business not too far away from the restaurant and the dog is a welcomed visitor in many of the area businesses. Other restaurants do offer the dog some food when he steps into their establishments, but on this day, Polaco walked into Ají Seco restaurant where he wasn’t welcomed.

Photo credit: Coniriwi/Twitter
Photo credit: Coniriwi/Twitter

Instead of simply kicking the dog out, the employee grabbed a pot of boiling water and poured it over the unsuspecting dog. Crying in agony Polaco left the restaurant. As soon as his owner found her injured pet she rushed him to a veterinarian.

The news of the animal abuse were made public when various animal lovers Tweeted the incident. The restaurant’s owner offered the pet owner 20,000 Chilean pesos (about $30) to cover the dog’s medical costs, however, the veterinarian treating the pet said the cost will be close to 200,000 Chilean pesos ($300).

Local animal lovers were outraged with the abuse and organized a protest in front of the restaurant days later. The business was forced to close down during the manifestation and faced backslash for the employee’s cruel behavior and the apathy the restaurant owner showed the injured pet.

It is unclear if the restaurant re-opened or if the community continues to frequent and support the business. What is known is that Polaco is receiving medical care and will hopefully make a full recovery.