Lucky Lola: Dog Presumed Dead Rises from Ashes

Lola, a longhaired dachshund, was presumed dead after a fire that destroyed her home on Feb. 23rd. Thanks to a car alarm and a large helping of good fortune, and after spending a terrifying month alone in a burned out house, Lola is on her way home.

Boston Globe reporter Brian Ballou tells us the incredible story of a dog who survived a month in the rubble before being reunited with her owner.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

Comments

1. The OP Pack says on  03/23/2011 at 9:39 am

That is incredible. How Lola survived for a month is pretty astounding. Thank goodness for truck alarms.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

2. What a terrific story. So glad a miracle came out of this disaster. Have a long happy life together…

3. Lindy MacDuff says on  03/23/2011 at 1:53 pm

Amazing story. I’m glad all turned out for the better and wish them many happy times ahead.

4. Chris says on  03/23/2011 at 2:35 pm

An amazing story of survival! Poor little thing…just glad this little pup was able to survive somehow.

5. Saw it on the news today! That beautiful little mini doxie had a Strong sense to survive and the will to make it happen!!!

6. another happy story that is wonderful shared

7. Susan says on  03/23/2011 at 2:40 pm

Agree with Abigail……..

8. Wow!

9. Awesome story!! ♥

10. wow!!! awesome!! =)

11. Kelly says on  03/23/2011 at 2:43 pm

I’m glad she got her dog back after such a tragedy. She must be very happy to have her Lola.

12. Debbie says on  03/23/2011 at 2:43 pm

Phoenix 😉

13. What an amazing survival story !

14. thats awesome! great story!

15. Renee Melton says on  03/23/2011 at 2:57 pm

What a heart warming story!

16. Brenda says on  03/23/2011 at 2:57 pm

Amazing story. I’m so glad she survived and is reunited with her owner. <3

17. What a great story – I think Lola must have a guardian angel! Thanks for sharing! :-)

18. Wonderful! Sorry it took a month to save her….

19. Corinne says on  03/23/2011 at 3:16 pm

What a lucky dog,it must have been her day to be found after all that time,may they all live happily together..

20. Maybe three or four beats……my question is was the dog in the house the whole time or is it possible it did wander and used the house as a shelter? If so…even more amazing…I wish everyone that has lost a dog could be so lucky.

21. Debbie says on  03/23/2011 at 3:27 pm

After a day of feeling like so much is hopeless sometimes…..this restores your faith in miracles and hope…..

22. Ditto Debbie

23. Amazing.

24. Yes, amazing.

25. What a GREAT story! So glad Lola is alive and well!

26. I am glad she got her dog back. If it were my lost dog who dissapeared after a fire I would have been checking the house everyday in case the dog returned there. Food and water on the porch, etc…. (Maybe she was?)

27. What an amazing story…. I am so glad she found her dog!!! :)

28. Sara says on  03/24/2011 at 11:20 pm

The dog had to have a water source somehow. No one checked inside the house? It makes me wonder if someone found her and put her in there later. Or she did run away and got back in for shelter/familiarity. I’m glad she was found, it just seems like there must be a lot to the story that can’t be known. Why didn’t the dog ever bark before if the owner had been around there looking?