Service Dog Owner Assaulted by McDonald’s Manager

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a McDonald’s manager who punched a customer in the face for bringing a service dog into the restaurant.

Security footage shows off-duty manager Tiffany Denise Allen approaching customer and service dog owner Jennifer Schwenker, who was with her two autistic children in a Marietta, GA McDonald’s the time of the incident. Allen told Schwenker that she and her service dog were not welcome in the restaurant. When Schwenker pointed out that she had a legal right to bring the dog into the establishment Allen became enraged, eventually following Schwenker into the bathroom and berating her.

Jennifer Schwenker said she became concerned for her safety at that point and decided to leave the restaurant. She did, but she spilled a drink on the way out, enraging Allen. Allen followed her into the parking lot and punched her in the face before she could leave the property.

Cobb County officials have issued a warrant for Tiffany Denise Allen for battery, simple assault fear and disorderly conduct. Surveillance camera footage shows McDonald’s employees trying unsuccessfully to restrain their co-worker prior to the assault.

1. Pam says on  07/22/2011 at 11:01 am

2. Barbara says on  07/22/2011 at 11:02 am

that is outrageous, hope that person gets fired & sued!

3. Isaac says on  07/22/2011 at 11:02 am

OMG, what is the matter with people? I much prefer dogs most of the time. Hope the Service Dog Owner is all right and her kids not terribly traumatized. OMG again!

4. Christina says on  07/22/2011 at 11:03 am

omg.. what the hell?!

5. Justin says on  07/22/2011 at 11:03 am

“unacceptable” doesn’t begin to cover it.

6. Carol says on  07/22/2011 at 11:03 am

Has the whole world gone crazy?

7. Grateful says on  07/22/2011 at 11:03 am

8. sue mc donalds… make millions

9. Wow Im glad theres a warrant out for her arrest! shes disgusting!

10. and that is terrible

11. unacceptable is an understatement

12. What is with people?

13. Donna says on  07/22/2011 at 11:05 am

This is unbelievable!!!

14. Tim says on  07/22/2011 at 11:05 am

Okay, I’ve seen more people in McDonald’s who were nastier than any dog could ever be. Coughing and hacking and just being gross in general. How come these filth-mongers don’t get a punch in the face?

• Tim (also) says on  10/08/2011 at 11:55 pm

You’re allot like me, after seeing where a guy with epilepsy became a female and when one of the two females that assaulted her because of her boyfriend with her at a McD’s had flirted with a nice looking white girl. Then after she went into the bathroom and these two followed her there and made that their excuse for dragging that man out of the lades bathroom by hair and kicking her after she began to have a seizure. The manager of McD’s did a terrible job while another person working did nothing to stop it cause he spent all energy to film it.

15. This woman has some serious issues!!! Hope they throw the book at her!

16. Deby says on  07/22/2011 at 11:06 am

I think it’s due to people not being educated about the rights of those with disabilities. But to punch a customer…that’s beyond ignorance of the law! Good grief!!

17. where is the service dog?

18. Justin says on  07/22/2011 at 11:06 am

I’ve seen more sense and compassion from a Mc’d’s employee with downs syndrome than this “manager” displayed. Multiple employee’s couldn’t restrain this chick??? really?

19. Anne says on  07/22/2011 at 11:06 am

As a service dog owner, I have encountered ignorance many times regarding my Leader dog, but this is outrageous !

• Lonna Goodell says on  07/24/2011 at 12:19 am

I’m also a service dog owner and I can’t believe how many ignorant people I run into because they are so uneducated about the laws regarding any kind of service dog. My service dog doesn’t do what a (Guide Dog) for the blind does nor does my service dog do what a (Hearing Alert) dog does for the deaf. However, my service dog is labeled as a Psychiatric Service Dog.

20. Franky says on  07/22/2011 at 11:07 am

i hope that wench gets jail and mcdonalds gets their ass sued off service dogs are allowed everywhere poor lady and poor kids

• Lance says on  07/22/2011 at 1:50 pm

While horrifying and completely unacceptable – she was off-duty… McDonald’s had nothing to do with this. All a lawsuit will do is increase everyone else’s prices.

• Mary says on  07/22/2011 at 10:43 pm

that is true—and she is a person with some huge problems. I think MacDonalds will do what they can to make u for this.

21. Jodi says on  07/22/2011 at 11:07 am

that just made me sick ~ that’s horrible!!! That poor mom ~ I just want to go cry for her.. =(

22. Jeanne says on  07/22/2011 at 11:08 am

The crazy just doesn’t stop! Especially where McDonalds is concerned. Did anyone see the video of customers and employees that attacked someone because the person was a transgendered person? They actually beat this person to the point of hospitalization.

23. William says on  07/22/2011 at 11:08 am

Lack of training, compassion, & common sense of the manager.

24. Sarah says on  07/22/2011 at 11:09 am

Seriously? I mean… Seriously!?!

25. So wrong on so many levels. Service animals are accepted at many establishments. And what kind of professional person deals with difficult situations by punching a customer in face? Go to jail, go directly to jail and do not pass go or collect $200!

26. Ruth Hagenbaugh says on  07/22/2011 at 11:27 am

When will these idiots learn that they can’t keep service dogs from thier businesses? It’s the law! If you don’t like dogs, then don’t work in a business that has to allow service animals in there. I hope she gets the book thrown at her.

27. Sandy Carr says on  07/22/2011 at 12:02 pm

What would Ronald say?

28. ksrake says on  07/22/2011 at 1:40 pm

I called McDonald’s corp office (1-800-244-6227) to file a formal complaint about a manager physically assaulting a customer and tell them they need to train the managers and employees on the American’s with Disabilities Act. The very nice CS rep had not heard about this yet.

29. Jill says on  07/22/2011 at 3:24 pm

Thankfully she was fired when McDonalds district managers were informed of this. I still think they should hang her high for her stupidity.

30. Maria Arellano says on  07/22/2011 at 3:59 pm

Wow, a grown woman behaving like that while holding her baby girl in her arm, just so sad, even she believe the person should not be allowed in with a dog, she should had called the manager on duty to handle her complaint, then the police to see who is right. I heard store employee politely tell people that their pets are not allowed in only service dogs in the store, many more offer a treat if their store is able to let in dogs. If you are in the food service industry you should be made aware of the rules about service dogs. The real shame is the children, including the beautiful lil girl in her mother’s arms witnessing this horrible behavior.

31. Erin says on  07/22/2011 at 4:15 pm

I have worked at McDonalds and the one I worked at had a sign on the front door that said Service Animals ARE allowed. I wonder if it is different at the store where this happened. It just makes me sick to know that employee would go out of her way to insult somebody like she did. So selfish, she had no right doing what she did. My heart goes out to the lady and her sons, and their dog for being discriminated against that day.

• well they immediate fired her. thats the appropriate response
      and erin, i think all mc d’s have that “service animals welcome” sign

• bonnie says on  07/22/2011 at 11:01 pm

It can’t be different at that McDonalds. Allowing service animals is the law, not a McDonalds choice.

• Jacqueline says on  07/23/2011 at 7:54 pm

It is a FEDERAL LAW, so no, it is not different at any McDonald’s or anywhere else. I have run into problems with people in ALABAMA state rest areas over taking my service dog into the bathroom. One woman nearly caused a riot. The attendant wanted to keep me from closing the stall door, and kept screaming at me, until I thought the other people coming in were going to attack her.

Ignorance is NO EXCUSE.

• ksrake says on  07/23/2011 at 11:02 pm

The stupidity and ignorance of the human race deeply saddens me. I DARE anyone to anything to a person with a service dog when I am within earshot. They’ll wish they’ never opened their mouth.

• Maria Arellano says on  07/26/2011 at 3:02 am

I take my greyhound into public bathrooms with me, he not a service dog, but is way more well behaved than most kids, its not like he going to use the toilet without flushing after, some public bathrooms are so nasty from bad human behavior

32. I saw this story on Twitter yesterday, but hadn’t see the video. How sad that in this day and age people don’t have a clue about the special needs of the disabled. The fact that this woman confronted another woman with such aggression in front of both of their children says more about her than I want to know. I hope she learns a valuable lesson from this – and I am not just talking about the McDonald’s altercation either.

33. knuckledragger says on  07/23/2011 at 12:30 pm

That’s what Affirmative Action gets you… time to take the colored help out to the woodshed for a tune-up.

34. wendy98 says on  07/23/2011 at 3:50 pm

The civility of the human race is declining more and more. The dog is cleaner and smarter than a lot of humans. I applaud the woman that walked away, this could have turned out a lot uglier than it was. That took courage and will power. Hope they all weren’t so traumatized they won’t ever go out again.

This other woman, I’m at a loss, how did she get to be manager anyway, her co-workers have more sense and she’s off duty so what business is it of her’s anyway?

35. barbalina says on  07/24/2011 at 9:55 pm

It’s clear to me that this woman was just a bully that saw her chance to bully someone, in fact, 3 someones at once, something she could not resist. Her behavior had very little to do with the dog but was caused by a serious character flaw. If she was a manager there, off-duty or not, she would have had training about service dogs and knew better but thought she could get away with it. Now she has lost a job and is on the run and the baby she is holding could end up in foster care.

36. Mrs. Schwenker most certainly should present a formal complain to McDonald’s -Corporate office 1-800-244-6227- and make sure this agressive behaviour is not repeated. Ignorance is no excuse to disregad the Law!!!

37. Dayna Haines says on  08/01/2011 at 8:53 am

Sue! Sue! Sue! Unfortunately the only way people are going to respect service dogs is if the courts get involved! Go after McDonalds, they have the deeper pockets and an attorney is going to be more likely to take the case. Let the legal system take care of that ignorant employee through assault charges, the evidence is on your side. This could take years, but is so worth it!

38. Alice says on  08/01/2011 at 10:36 am

The manager was off-duty, was not acting on behalf of McDonalds.
    Choosing to sue McD simply because they have ‘deep pockets’ is another sign of stupidity and poor judgement.

I just returned from a Missions trip to W Va, and the people who own the Mission building were rude to me and my dog, and refused her entrance into the building. I explained the law, but they did not care about the law. The woman said there is another party with a service dog, and they ‘cooperate by leaving the dog outside’. I left rather than make a bigger scene. I was not sure if the law would cover private enterprises that are open to the public.

• Dayna Haines says on  08/01/2011 at 11:20 am

Wow, a proponent of service dogs throwing around words like stupidity and poor judgement? I’m not going to argue with you, that is not why I posted. I have an opinion, just as you do and calling names is a sign of stupidity and poor judgement :)

• ksrake says on  08/01/2011 at 11:33 am

Although I agree that McDonald’s need to train their employees better, they did immediately fire the off duty manager. My preference would be to go after the off duty manager–knowing she won’t have any money. It’s not a money issue. It’s an issue of legal as well as wrong and right.

As for the Missions trip–I’m assuming you mean Missions as in religious. If so, then shame of those supposed “religious” folks for making things difficult for you. And worse yet, shame on the other party with the service dog that caved. That is precisely WHY those folks thought they could get away with it.

As so for rights in private enterprises, I found an FAQ that says: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

The service animal must be permitted to accompany the individual with a disability to all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. An individual with a service animal may not be segregated from other customers.

So this sounds like you would have been covered. Next time, you might want to call the police. I know that’s hassle, but the longer people can away with turning away service dogs, the ingrained it will become.

At least now that you are back, I would contact those folks and let them know that they violated the ADA.

39. I don”t know for sure which girl is which in this photo, however, the lady with the child in her arms seems to be the one with all the agression (body language wise). If I was the girl in blue and I was being accosted by the lady holding the baby (who seems VERY angry) I’m not sure what I’d do either.

40. debra says on  08/02/2011 at 12:53 pm

I have a service dog and I hope the person who was punched realizes that this is a federal offense and that she takes the time to persue it as such. My dog is a very small, well behaved chihuahua and I have had problems only in restaurants. I carry a copy of the federal laws with me and that usually solves the problem. If not I insist they call the police. By-the-way……..Pearl is cleaner and better behaved than most people I see in the restaurant!

41. dissident agressor says on  08/04/2011 at 8:29 pm

hmmmm im seeing a trend here in low-life mcdonalds employees assualting customers…wonder if it has to do with the type of people they tend to hire??? obviously the dog WASNT the only animal in the resturant at that time. When a dog bites/attacks a human being we put the animal down…same should apply here, not all animals walk on 4 legs and this is obvious by this story. lock the skell up until she learns to act like a human being…IF she can.This, is in part, why I would NEVER take my family to a mcdonalds. It seems that mcdonalds caters to a diffrent “kind” of people…hmmm. this poor woman SHOULD sue the hell out of mcdonalds. Its the only way to effect change…hit em in the wallet. Then maybe they would make better choices in who they hire.

42. Anonymous says on  09/06/2011 at 5:50 pm

Really has anybody had any kind of dealing with management at McDonalds. There quilifications are haveing been employed more tha 10 days.

43. Chicagoray says on  09/06/2011 at 6:08 pm

What freaking disgrace.

On the other hand, If this story involved welfare queens being thrown out of the restaurant for dancing on the countertops like an animals the MSM would be all over it like stink on a monkey.

44. Janie says on  09/13/2011 at 11:40 pm

I had a hemmorhagic stroke 7 years ago that left my right side paralyzed. After many months of therapy I walked but rather crookedly and used my service dog with a body harness & short, square, stiff handle to get up & down from chairs and to lean on when I walked. My right side would just quit listening to my brain without warning & without my dog, I’d fall. I used her for about two years and only a few times was I questioned, always in grocery stores. I’d just say: “she’s a service dog, without whom I’ll probably fall and have to sue your store. You don’t want that. Plus she’ll leave your stock alone, unlike loose kids”. Never was I told to leave.

45. This is terrible! The way she is reacting I would think she has encountered these people before. I have to say this is the first time I’ve heard of a dog for autism. I’m not sure this is a service dog or therapy dog. Either way they should be allowed in the restaurant. I don’t know how many time I’ve seen parents who refuse to keep their kids in check, and this parent has gone as far as getting a dog to help out her autistic children. I think that is great!

46. This is terrible! The way she is reacting I would think she has encountered these people before. I have to say this is the first time I’ve heard of a dog for autism. I’m not sure this is a service dog or therapy dog. Either way they should be allowed in the restaurant. I don’t know how many time I’ve seen parents who refuse to keep their kids in check, and this parent has gone as far as getting a dog to help out her autistic children. I think that is great!

47. Anonymous says on  06/16/2012 at 2:04 pm

i am an 82yr old veteran, with a 13lb service dog, ihave a prescription for her to be with me and always sit on my lap to help with c o p d and other issues, i was told by the manager of the merritt is, fl. moose club that she must be restrained under my chair.–don