Vespa Gets Her Wheels

After losing my previous dog to a heart condition, I decided there was no better way to demonstrate my belief that all animals are worthy of love than to open my heart and home to one with special needs.

I adopted Vespa from Chihuahua Rescue and Transport, an exceptionally well-run organization that makes sure its dogs find loving forever homes. Instead of front legs, Vespa was born with little “chicken wings” that allow her to crawl or hop, but only on soft surfaces such as grass or carpet.

I wanted her world to be bigger than that, so I researched front wheels for dogs. (She was not a candidate for prosthesis). Missing front limbs are a much bigger challenge than missing or injured back limbs, as it turns out.

I tracked down OrthoPets, a group out of Denver that specializes in making animals more mobile. Vespa and I flew to Denver, where the pros there made a mold of her chest and attached her perfectly fitted “vest” to wheels.

Back home, I worked with her to stretch out her legs and help her learn to run. And the door to that bigger world opened for my sweet Vespa.

-Brenda Jones

1. Oh, that is just brilliant! I LOVE, LOVE LOVE IT! :)

2. Anonymous says on  01/11/2012 at 9:43 pm

If I was a religious person I would say that you must be an angel Brenda!,
    If you’ re not an angel, you are an absolute amazing human being!!!thank you for existing!

3. Mindy says on  01/11/2012 at 11:42 pm

THIS is completely awesome-she’s such a happy little baby, and now she can really take off! The joy on her little face is amazing-God bless you both!

4. Ice Pony Girl says on  01/12/2012 at 9:40 am

Vespa is beautiful! Love…love those big ears!! So happy that she has a furever home with you. Thank you for allowing Vespa into your home and heart.

5. Kristie says on  01/12/2012 at 9:41 am

Brenda you have the heart of an angel! As an owner of several adopted, abused and neglected golden retrievers, I can testify to what love can do for our precious pets. They are our babies and we will do anything for them. Bless you!

6. Anonymous says on  01/12/2012 at 10:59 am

Well Brenda your dog started rejected and missing 2 front legs and with your adoption and great heart he ended up with 5 legs and ready for the para Olympics “Small dog” category dog race. I loved your story, there is a dog for every “Good” human.
    Congrats and bless you

7. Tracey says on  01/12/2012 at 11:48 am

Oh how wonderful. I know she will have a long and happy life. I loved seeing her go.

8. Chhris says on  01/12/2012 at 1:16 pm

This is wonderful!

9. Ahh, what a great story! I am a little tearful today at this and Duke’s tale. Thank you for posting!

10. Anonymous says on  04/12/2012 at 11:36 pm

I’d love to see more video of this joyful little beast!

11. Valerio says on  03/29/2015 at 7:23 pm

Hello Brenda, I was born a puppy of Yorkshire in the same situation. In Italy’m not finding any center that can deliver wheels for my little “Hope”. Could you tell me where to buy this accessory. Thank You