Avon, Mary Kay, Estée Lauder Continue Animal Testing in China

Without notifying their customers, Avon, Mary Kay, and Estée Lauder—which have been on PETA’s list of companies that don’t test cosmetics on animals for decades—have been quietly paying for poisoning tests on animals at the behest of the Chinese government in order to market their products in China. Because they no longer qualify as companies that don’t test, PETA says that Avon, Mary Kay, and Estée Lauder have now been downgraded to PETA’s “do test” list.

Avon banned tests on animals in 1989. Mary Kay eliminated animal tests the same year after the company was lampooned by cartoonist Berkeley Breathed in his Bloom County strip in a series called “Night of the Mary Kay Commandos.” Estée Lauder eliminated animal tests the following year. These companies’ bans on the use of animals for product testing began a new marketing era for consumer products, and dozens of other companies soon prohibited all tests on animals and began marketing their products as cruelty-free.

“Avon, Estée Lauder, and Mary Kay have regressed a generation: Their products are once again being dripped into rabbits’ eyes and smeared onto animals’ abraded skin,” says PETA Vice President of Laboratory Investigations Kathy Guillermo in a Rush PR press release. “Fortunately, consumers don’t have to backslide with them—we can still choose to purchase products from the more than 1,000 companies on PETA’s list of companies that do not test on animals.”

If you want to know if the products you purchase were developed using animal testing, visit http://www.idausa.org/facts/crueltyfree.html for a list of cruelty free companies.

Comments

1. Christal Estrella says on  February 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Fuck those brands.

2. I am very disappointed

3. wow this is still going on?

4. shame on them,sick their profits!!

5. Jennifer says on  February 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Why would you even consider animal testing?????? Put that mess on death-row inmates instead…the animals have done NOTHING WRONG!

6. Thank you for providing a link to cruelty free companies!

7. Test on Deathrow inmates,not Animals!

8. Very true Trish! That’s how they get around being listed as animal testers. :-( Liars….

9. Regressed twenty years here. :(

10. Just buy HUMAN NATURE PRODUCTS!!! … NO ANIMAL TESTING HERE… All herbal and it helps the farmers and their families who plant and harvest the ingredients…

11. DO NOT LET THIS GO ON STOP USING THESE PRODUCTS ….AND PROCTOR AND GAMBLE STILL TESTS!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THAT FACE AND TELL ME IT IS OK

• Because P&G and Johnson & Johnson still test on animals, I switched to cleaners by Method, Mrs. Meyers and Babyganics (which I love)! Also, I bought laundry detergent from a company called Biokleen and guess what? It cleans BETTER than the P&G detergent I was using! And no icky chemicals on my body!

12. This crap is SOOOO friggin unessessary ..way to many companies not doing this . Nuetragina and kiss my face a re great products and so reasonable …Please people dont buy from any company that tests and torturse animals :(

• Anonymous says on  April 14, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Nutrogena is considered an animal tester. Please check PETA’s list of companies that don’t test on animals.

• Neutrogena is owned by a large pharmaceutical company (Johnson & Johnson) that does test on animals. Please don’t buy Neutrogena.

13. Um no, how about NOT TESTING ON ANY LIVING ANIMAL…seriously people.

14. Thanks for the info, Posted on my FB page including the link you provided.

15. When I was a hairdresser..There was a big push…Hairdresser and makeup artist were more then will to do testing on themselves

16. Why do they do this when it is not necessary and cruel?? Shame on them and we should all boycott these in humane companies!!!

17. Sharing – Thanks for the info.

18. Testing on animals is wrong, and no longer necessary so why do companies keep doing this? Most cosmetic companies that are animal testing free will say so on the package. So please read before you buy.

19. I agree with Ann Jenkins & Karlena Wolhart

20. I’ve heard Merle Norman does not!!!!!!

21. Boycotting is an action to take.

22. I had no idea! Bye bye Mary Kay!

• I am a Mary Kay consultant and I contacted the company about this. Here is the reply I received back from Mary Kay headquarters:

Mary Kay is committed to the elimination of animal testing! Mary Kay’s policy has always been consistent – nothing has changed: We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to do so on our behalf, except when absolutely required by law.

Regulations on cosmetics constantly change, but Mary Kay has never wavered from our commitment to use alternative testing methods. There is only one country where we operate, among more than 35 around the world, that by law under certain circumstances requires cosmetics to be tested on animals–China. When Mary Kay Inc. learned of requirements by regulatory agencies in China, we were obliged to follow the law, as we do in every country where we operate.

But, rest assured, our commitment to the elimination of animal testing has never changed or wavered. We are working very closely with the Chinese government to demonstrate that alternative testing methods ensure safe and effective products. For more than two decades Mary Kay has been a global leader in helping to develop alternative testing methods for product safety. We are committed to the elimination of animal testing.

Thank you for contacting us.

The company is working hard to eliminate animal testing in China and I think Mary Kay should be commended for their efforts.

• Anonymous says on  May 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I am also a Mary Kay consultant and have had to call the company concerning this same issue. Im proud to announce that after talking with headquarters, I felt alot more Assured and felt positive about passing the message on that MK does not participate in animal testing. This Country has evolved enough to not have to do that sort of testing. I Love and respect Mary Kay and all that we stand for. We were built on the Golden Rule and we will always have that foundation.

23. Elizabeth says on  February 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

This makes me sooo angry and so sad.

24. Thank you so much for posting this…am cross-posting!

25. Grrrrrrrr………

26. I will not buy from these companies….

27. Nancy, you may be disappointed but looks like others are grateful for the info. We have a right to know the history of products we buy xx

28. PLEASE CROSSPOST, will email this to my friends as well. These companies will also be on my do not buy list.

29. I didn’t. Know this was even still. Going. On if i know a company is testing. I won’t. Be using. Their. Products so cruel

30. I did find another list that they are NOT on… http://www.leapingbunny.org/shopsearch.php#m

31. PETA actually posted this about a week ago. I’m extremely disappointed as I used all 3 assuming they were on the safe list. I have yet to see a response from any of them.

32. This doesn’t seem like a very complete list of companies that don’t do animal testing.

33. I would rather go WITHOUT makeup!!

34. Thank you so much for posting this list. I have been an Avon user for several years because of their cruelty free policy. I was very upset to find out a few weeks ago that they had gone back to their wicked ways and have been trying to find an alternative. Thanks!

35. I also recommend “liking” these three cosmetic companies, then posting comments about their betrayal of customers who have patronized them because of their cruelty-free products, all in the name of big bucks in the Asian marketplace.

36. I love animals so please dont support the companies above.

37. BeautiControl has never tested on animals.

38. So glad to see Arbonne on the list . Love their stuff.

39. Obviously I’m not an advocate of animal testing, but show me a “product” anywhere on the consumer shelves that hasn’t been in some form?? Do you stop using a product because initially an ingredient was tested & is now wide spread? Or are you all just stopping at the “right here, right now” mentality too? Something to consider.

40. :(

41. ;0

42. BASTARDS !!!

43. Shared

44. Not only do the test makeup they also test prescription medication on animals to one of the meds my husband takes they have tested it on animals I dont see the point they should test meds on people to c how its going to work ir the effects not animals I think it is sicking to test anything on any animal

45. oh no

46. I stopped using Mary Kay and Avon products 2 years ago when I heard that they were reconsidering this practice. I won’t even have any vendor tables at events I plan. Disgusts me to no end.

47. “At the request of the Chinese government”. SERIOUSLY!? These companies caved to a country with so little regard for the welfare of animals? Will NEVER purchase their products again.

48. Fail. This is very wrong. Shut them down. Don’t buy products from them.

49. this is going to sound nasty, but China does not care about what they do to other countries and we are suppose to care about them.

50. How would they like it, if we tested products on them :@ poor animals <3<3

51. This is really disappointing to hear. There has to be another way…

52. Its cuz its China and they dont care about animals other than the money they can make,,

53. it’s awful how many products we use daily that are tested on animals.. I hate that.. but I do try hard to not buy them.. and to call the companies to complain to them that IF they continue to use animals .. when they don’t need to. I will post it on Facebook and tweet about their sorry ass out dated practices.. sorry for cussing.. just very peeeved about this..

54. oooh, this just pisses me off so much….. I want to scream vulgar words at people that support or work for these Companies and labs. M***er F*****s should be shot.

55. колко тъжно гледа,а клко е хубаво.

56. Amanda Carson says on  February 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm

So very sad.

57. Thank you for this because I purposely bought Mary Kay since they didn’t test!!! I will not purchase until they stop.

58. I only purchase products that say “no animal testing”. If it doesn’t say it, I don’t buy it.

59. Thank for letting us know, no way I will be supporting those companies!!!

60. Can’t ‘Like’ But sharing!

61. Christine says on  February 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

2012 and we still test on animals… I cannot find the words to express how sad and sick to my stomach this makes me. :(

62. I am a Mary Kay consultant and just sent a strongly worded message to the company. I will quit Mary Kay if this continues! When I started 4 years ago, they said they did no animal testing. I am awaiting a response and will update on this.

• Here is the response I got from Mary Kay after contacting the company:

Thank you for contacting us.

So Mary Kay is committed to changing the way China conducts animal testing. I think the company should be commended for their work.

63. Cosmetics are just that – something to cover the natural. It’s time to appreciate natural beauty. Put cosmetic companies out of business.

64. I quit buy AVON they said. FINISHED PRODUCT NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS…. So that means ALL THE CHEMICALS USED TO MALE THE PRODUCT ARE TESTED ON ANIMALS READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY That is how you can be tricked I DO KOT AND NEVER WILL BUY THEM ALSO HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS SRE ALSO TESTED ON ANIMALS CUSTOMER BEWATE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST PLEASE

65. BEWARE. Not bewate

66. Thanks for notifying us.

67. Boycott time….

68. There are many good products that are cruelty free…I have stopped using many that still test on animals as soon as I found out they did.

69. Who could hate furry angels that much to inflict tortuous testing/pain for only greed, greed, greed ??? PAW-LESE, BOYCOTT these companies and Chinese products!!!

70. Heck, the Chinese probably do this to their own people when it comes to food even. No compassion in that country. Just human rights violations and greed. Starting to sound more and more like America!

71. I don’t use any of those, thankfully! Thanks for providing a place to check who does NOT test on animals!

72. There was a post on FB earlier that stated that Mary Kay conducted animal testing on their products. I sent a very strongly worded message to them stating this was NOT acceptable to me. They replied very quickly to my email with the following message:

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for contacting us.

Mary Kay Customer Operations

So, your conscience can rest at ease knowing that our company is committed to NO animal testing and is working with the Chinese to eliminate their gov’t policies. Hurray for Mary Kay!

• Ashley says on  March 4, 2012 at 6:49 am

I was an Avon rep and I got a similar response from them. To me it sounds like b.s. If they cared at all about remaining cruelty free they would have waited for China to change, but they are just too greedy. I have stopped selling Avon because they have gone back to testing on animals, plain and simple. They were sneaky about it to by not letting any of their reps know. I had to find out about it on the peta site.

73. Catherine says on  February 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

It seems odd to me that most of the products listed here are almost unknown to me. I rarely believe things like this on the internet, so ill be doing some checking. Why isn’t the Shaklee Company listed? No animal testing and GREEN. Their products work better than most, too. Thanks for posting.

74. I’ve been copying the link on Estee Lauder’s website and Avon’s! Let everyone see it!! Greedy a-holes!

75. It’s sad that people do this.! I’m an independent consultant with Arbonne international which is a Swiss health and wellness company that IS Vegan certified and Never tested on animals!! Those of you boycotting should really check out these products!

76. Anonymous says on  March 19, 2012 at 3:08 am

thank goodness I dont use any of those companies products.. I was surprised at Estee Lauder tho… hmmm I wonder why they would even consider doing that,

77. Aww shit my makeup is Avon! defiantly not buying that stuff any more.

78. Anonymous says on  June 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I just became a Mary Kay Beauty consultant and to read about this i’m very disappointed in the company.

79. Well crap! I love Mary Kay’s lipgloss and a lot of Avon products, but I refuse to use any products that test on animals! (Hence why I don’t use tide detergent!) Down With Animal Testing!

80. Anonymous says on  March 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

HOW ABOUT NOT SELLING YOUR PRODUCTS TO THE CHINEASE, CHINA IS A HORRENDOUSLY CRUEL COUNTRY ANYWAY WHERE ANIMALS ARE CONCERNED. I WOULD NEVER SELL ANY OF MY PRODUCTS TO CHINA OR ANY OTHER CRUEL COUBTRY LIKE THEM IF I MANUFACTURED THEM.

I READ THE OTHER DAY THAT APPARENTLY ALL ANIMAL TESTING ON COSMETICS HAS BEEN BANNED BUT THIS IS EUROPE ONLY. ANIMAL TESTING IS BARBARIC AND TOTALLY UNECCESARY.