Avon, Mary Kay, Estée Lauder Continue Animal Testing in China

Without notifying their customers, Avon, Mary Kay, and Estée Lauder—which have been on PETA’s list of companies that don’t test cosmetics on animals for decades—have been quietly paying for poisoning tests on animals at the behest of the Chinese government in order to market their products in China. Because they no longer qualify as companies that don’t test, PETA says that Avon, Mary Kay, and Estée Lauder have now been downgraded to PETA’s “do test” list.

Avon banned tests on animals in 1989. Mary Kay eliminated animal tests the same year after the company was lampooned by cartoonist Berkeley Breathed in his Bloom County strip in a series called “Night of the Mary Kay Commandos.” Estée Lauder eliminated animal tests the following year. These companies’ bans on the use of animals for product testing began a new marketing era for consumer products, and dozens of other companies soon prohibited all tests on animals and began marketing their products as cruelty-free.

“Avon, Estée Lauder, and Mary Kay have regressed a generation: Their products are once again being dripped into rabbits’ eyes and smeared onto animals’ abraded skin,” says PETA Vice President of Laboratory Investigations Kathy Guillermo in a Rush PR press release. “Fortunately, consumers don’t have to backslide with them—we can still choose to purchase products from the more than 1,000 companies on PETA’s list of companies that do not test on animals.”

If you want to know if the products you purchase were developed using animal testing, visit http://www.idausa.org/facts/crueltyfree.html for a list of cruelty free companies.

February 27, 2012 12:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christal Estrella

Fuck those brands.

• February 27, 2012 12:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Andrea

I am very disappointed

February 27, 2012 12:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shelley

wow this is still going on?

• February 27, 2012 12:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cynthia

shame on them,sick their profits!!

February 27, 2012 12:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jennifer

Why would you even consider animal testing?????? Put that mess on death-row inmates instead…the animals have done NOTHING WRONG!

May 18, 2012 8:39 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I agree. Or better yet, test on the animal abusers like Michael Vick.

• February 27, 2012 12:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Thank you for providing a link to cruelty free companies!

February 27, 2012 12:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ann

Test on Deathrow inmates,not Animals!

February 27, 2012 12:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cathy

Very true Trish! That’s how they get around being listed as animal testers. :-( Liars….

February 27, 2012 12:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Becky

Regressed twenty years here. :(

• February 27, 2012 12:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patty

Just buy HUMAN NATURE PRODUCTS!!! … NO ANIMAL TESTING HERE… All herbal and it helps the farmers and their families who plant and harvest the ingredients…

• February 27, 2012 12:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cyndie

DO NOT LET THIS GO ON STOP USING THESE PRODUCTS ….AND PROCTOR AND GAMBLE STILL TESTS!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THAT FACE AND TELL ME IT IS OK

February 28, 2012 1:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Diane

Because P&G and Johnson & Johnson still test on animals, I switched to cleaners by Method, Mrs. Meyers and Babyganics (which I love)! Also, I bought laundry detergent from a company called Biokleen and guess what? It cleans BETTER than the P&G detergent I was using! And no icky chemicals on my body!

February 27, 2012 12:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Deborah

This crap is SOOOO friggin unessessary ..way to many companies not doing this . Nuetragina and kiss my face a re great products and so reasonable …Please people dont buy from any company that tests and torturse animals :(

April 14, 2012 6:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Nutrogena is considered an animal tester. Please check PETA’s list of companies that don’t test on animals.

• May 8, 2012 9:30 amPosted 2 years ago
      Nanci Miller

Neutrogena is owned by a large pharmaceutical company (Johnson & Johnson) that does test on animals. Please don’t buy Neutrogena.

February 27, 2012 12:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karlena

Um no, how about NOT TESTING ON ANY LIVING ANIMAL…seriously people.

February 27, 2012 12:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bobbi

Thanks for the info, Posted on my FB page including the link you provided.

February 27, 2012 12:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lynnz

When I was a hairdresser..There was a big push…Hairdresser and makeup artist were more then will to do testing on themselves

February 27, 2012 12:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sara

Why do they do this when it is not necessary and cruel?? Shame on them and we should all boycott these in humane companies!!!

• February 27, 2012 12:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lucy

Sharing – Thanks for the info.

February 27, 2012 12:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Renee

Testing on animals is wrong, and no longer necessary so why do companies keep doing this? Most cosmetic companies that are animal testing free will say so on the package. So please read before you buy.

• February 27, 2012 12:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debi

I agree with Ann Jenkins & Karlena Wolhart

• February 27, 2012 12:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tamera

I’ve heard Merle Norman does not!!!!!!

• February 27, 2012 12:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rita

Boycotting is an action to take.

• February 27, 2012 12:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Klara

I had no idea! Bye bye Mary Kay!

• October 2, 2012 3:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Leslie Heironimus

I am a Mary Kay consultant and I contacted the company about this. Here is the reply I received back from Mary Kay headquarters:

Mary Kay is committed to the elimination of animal testing! Mary Kay’s policy has always been consistent – nothing has changed: We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to do so on our behalf, except when absolutely required by law.

Regulations on cosmetics constantly change, but Mary Kay has never wavered from our commitment to use alternative testing methods. There is only one country where we operate, among more than 35 around the world, that by law under certain circumstances requires cosmetics to be tested on animals–China. When Mary Kay Inc. learned of requirements by regulatory agencies in China, we were obliged to follow the law, as we do in every country where we operate.

But, rest assured, our commitment to the elimination of animal testing has never changed or wavered. We are working very closely with the Chinese government to demonstrate that alternative testing methods ensure safe and effective products. For more than two decades Mary Kay has been a global leader in helping to develop alternative testing methods for product safety. We are committed to the elimination of animal testing.

Thank you for contacting us.

The company is working hard to eliminate animal testing in China and I think Mary Kay should be commended for their efforts.

February 27, 2012 12:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Elizabeth

This makes me sooo angry and so sad.

February 27, 2012 12:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christi

Thank you so much for posting this…am cross-posting!

February 27, 2012 12:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Twila

Grrrrrrrr………

• February 27, 2012 12:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Janet

I will not buy from these companies….

February 27, 2012 12:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jacky

Nancy, you may be disappointed but looks like others are grateful for the info. We have a right to know the history of products we buy xx

• February 27, 2012 12:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patti

PLEASE CROSSPOST, will email this to my friends as well. These companies will also be on my do not buy list.

• February 27, 2012 12:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susan

I didn’t. Know this was even still. Going. On if i know a company is testing. I won’t. Be using. Their. Products so cruel

February 27, 2012 12:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jolie

I did find another list that they are NOT on… http://www.leapingbunny.org/shopsearch.php#m

February 27, 2012 12:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kim

PETA actually posted this about a week ago. I’m extremely disappointed as I used all 3 assuming they were on the safe list. I have yet to see a response from any of them.

• February 27, 2012 12:29 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lorrie

This doesn’t seem like a very complete list of companies that don’t do animal testing.

February 27, 2012 12:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sharon

I would rather go WITHOUT makeup!!

• February 27, 2012 12:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kelly

Thank you so much for posting this list. I have been an Avon user for several years because of their cruelty free policy. I was very upset to find out a few weeks ago that they had gone back to their wicked ways and have been trying to find an alternative. Thanks!

• February 27, 2012 12:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judith

I also recommend “liking” these three cosmetic companies, then posting comments about their betrayal of customers who have patronized them because of their cruelty-free products, all in the name of big bucks in the Asian marketplace.

February 27, 2012 12:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sherry

I love animals so please dont support the companies above.

• February 27, 2012 12:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judy

BeautiControl has never tested on animals.

February 27, 2012 12:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

So glad to see Arbonne on the list . Love their stuff.

February 27, 2012 12:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

Obviously I’m not an advocate of animal testing, but show me a “product” anywhere on the consumer shelves that hasn’t been in some form?? Do you stop using a product because initially an ingredient was tested & is now wide spread? Or are you all just stopping at the “right here, right now” mentality too? Something to consider.

• February 27, 2012 12:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dee

• February 27, 2012 12:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

;0

February 27, 2012 12:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Riki

BASTARDS !!!

February 27, 2012 12:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Colleen

Shared

• February 27, 2012 12:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jodi

Not only do the test makeup they also test prescription medication on animals to one of the meds my husband takes they have tested it on animals I dont see the point they should test meds on people to c how its going to work ir the effects not animals I think it is sicking to test anything on any animal

February 27, 2012 12:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Glenda

oh no

February 27, 2012 12:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Caryn

I stopped using Mary Kay and Avon products 2 years ago when I heard that they were reconsidering this practice. I won’t even have any vendor tables at events I plan. Disgusts me to no end.

• February 27, 2012 12:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cindie

“At the request of the Chinese government”. SERIOUSLY!? These companies caved to a country with so little regard for the welfare of animals? Will NEVER purchase their products again.

February 27, 2012 12:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tim

Fail. This is very wrong. Shut them down. Don’t buy products from them.

• February 27, 2012 12:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judi

this is going to sound nasty, but China does not care about what they do to other countries and we are suppose to care about them.

• February 27, 2012 12:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rosie

How would they like it, if we tested products on them :@ poor animals <3<3

• February 27, 2012 12:57 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathy

This is really disappointing to hear. There has to be another way…

• February 27, 2012 1:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patti

Its cuz its China and they dont care about animals other than the money they can make,,

February 27, 2012 1:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cindy

it’s awful how many products we use daily that are tested on animals.. I hate that.. but I do try hard to not buy them.. and to call the companies to complain to them that IF they continue to use animals .. when they don’t need to. I will post it on Facebook and tweet about their sorry ass out dated practices.. sorry for cussing.. just very peeeved about this..

• February 27, 2012 1:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pauline

oooh, this just pisses me off so much….. I want to scream vulgar words at people that support or work for these Companies and labs. M***er F*****s should be shot.

• February 27, 2012 1:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Krasimira

колко тъжно гледа,а клко е хубаво.

February 27, 2012 1:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda Carson

So very sad.

• February 27, 2012 1:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Aanya

Thank you for this because I purposely bought Mary Kay since they didn’t test!!! I will not purchase until they stop.

February 27, 2012 1:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patty

I only purchase products that say “no animal testing”. If it doesn’t say it, I don’t buy it.

• February 27, 2012 1:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nadia

Thank for letting us know, no way I will be supporting those companies!!!

• February 27, 2012 1:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda J

Can’t ‘Like’ But sharing!

February 27, 2012 1:25 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christine

2012 and we still test on animals… I cannot find the words to express how sad and sick to my stomach this makes me. :(

February 27, 2012 1:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Leslie

I am a Mary Kay consultant and just sent a strongly worded message to the company. I will quit Mary Kay if this continues! When I started 4 years ago, they said they did no animal testing. I am awaiting a response and will update on this.

• October 2, 2012 3:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Leslie Heironimus

Here is the response I got from Mary Kay after contacting the company:

Thank you for contacting us.

So Mary Kay is committed to changing the way China conducts animal testing. I think the company should be commended for their work.

• February 27, 2012 1:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jean

Cosmetics are just that – something to cover the natural. It’s time to appreciate natural beauty. Put cosmetic companies out of business.

• February 27, 2012 1:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda

I quit buy AVON they said. FINISHED PRODUCT NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS…. So that means ALL THE CHEMICALS USED TO MALE THE PRODUCT ARE TESTED ON ANIMALS READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY That is how you can be tricked I DO KOT AND NEVER WILL BUY THEM ALSO HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS SRE ALSO TESTED ON ANIMALS CUSTOMER BEWATE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST PLEASE

• February 27, 2012 1:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda

BEWARE. Not bewate

February 27, 2012 1:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rhonda

Thanks for notifying us.

• February 27, 2012 2:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lynn

Boycott time….

February 27, 2012 2:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Geneva

There are many good products that are cruelty free…I have stopped using many that still test on animals as soon as I found out they did.

February 27, 2012 2:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sharon

Who could hate furry angels that much to inflict tortuous testing/pain for only greed, greed, greed ??? PAW-LESE, BOYCOTT these companies and Chinese products!!!

• February 27, 2012 2:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susie

Heck, the Chinese probably do this to their own people when it comes to food even. No compassion in that country. Just human rights violations and greed. Starting to sound more and more like America!

• February 27, 2012 2:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debra

I don’t use any of those, thankfully! Thanks for providing a place to check who does NOT test on animals!

• February 27, 2012 3:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Leslie Heironimus

There was a post on FB earlier that stated that Mary Kay conducted animal testing on their products. I sent a very strongly worded message to them stating this was NOT acceptable to me. They replied very quickly to my email with the following message:

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for contacting us.

Mary Kay Customer Operations

So, your conscience can rest at ease knowing that our company is committed to NO animal testing and is working with the Chinese to eliminate their gov’t policies. Hurray for Mary Kay!

March 4, 2012 6:49 amPosted 2 years ago
      Ashley

I was an Avon rep and I got a similar response from them. To me it sounds like b.s. If they cared at all about remaining cruelty free they would have waited for China to change, but they are just too greedy. I have stopped selling Avon because they have gone back to testing on animals, plain and simple. They were sneaky about it to by not letting any of their reps know. I had to find out about it on the peta site.

February 27, 2012 6:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Catherine

It seems odd to me that most of the products listed here are almost unknown to me. I rarely believe things like this on the internet, so ill be doing some checking. Why isn’t the Shaklee Company listed? No animal testing and GREEN. Their products work better than most, too. Thanks for posting.

February 27, 2012 7:52 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diane

I’ve been copying the link on Estee Lauder’s website and Avon’s! Let everyone see it!! Greedy a-holes!

February 28, 2012 11:37 amPosted 2 years ago
    katie

It’s sad that people do this.! I’m an independent consultant with Arbonne international which is a Swiss health and wellness company that IS Vegan certified and Never tested on animals!! Those of you boycotting should really check out these products!

March 19, 2012 3:08 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

thank goodness I dont use any of those companies products.. I was surprised at Estee Lauder tho… hmmm I wonder why they would even consider doing that,

March 24, 2012 9:57 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Me

Aww shit my makeup is Avon! defiantly not buying that stuff any more.

June 10, 2012 2:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I just became a Mary Kay Beauty consultant and to read about this i’m very disappointed in the company.

November 7, 2012 9:32 amPosted 2 years ago
    Sam

Well crap! I love Mary Kay’s lipgloss and a lot of Avon products, but I refuse to use any products that test on animals! (Hence why I don’t use tide detergent!) Down With Animal Testing!

March 17, 2013 4:34 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

HOW ABOUT NOT SELLING YOUR PRODUCTS TO THE CHINEASE, CHINA IS A HORRENDOUSLY CRUEL COUNTRY ANYWAY WHERE ANIMALS ARE CONCERNED. I WOULD NEVER SELL ANY OF MY PRODUCTS TO CHINA OR ANY OTHER CRUEL COUBTRY LIKE THEM IF I MANUFACTURED THEM.

I READ THE OTHER DAY THAT APPARENTLY ALL ANIMAL TESTING ON COSMETICS HAS BEEN BANNED BUT THIS IS EUROPE ONLY. ANIMAL TESTING IS BARBARIC AND TOTALLY UNECCESARY.