Caring Dachshund Adopts Orphaned Kittens

For the third time in under a year, a loving Dachshund named Duchess has taken in a litter of abandoned kittens.

On Tuesday morning,  the nurturing dog was busy cleaning four new babies at her Ouachita Parish, Louisiana home. Owner Sheila Hutson said Duchess’ litter of kittens needed her after Hutson’s daughter’s cat was killed by a motorist, leaving four miniscule felines motherless.

When Duchess first met the kittens, her motherly instincts immediately kicked in, and she bathed each of them gently. By the very next morning, she was already producing milk.

The Hutsons rescued the seven year old dog from a breeding operation, and say that when they found her, she was near death. “They had bred her till she was almost dead. We’ve had her almost four years now, and we haven’t let her have pups because of what she’s been through,” Hutson said.

Now, the nurturing canine seems to have a unique appreciation for the miracle of life. In fact, her family said her mothering instincts are so strong that when their own cat had a litter of kittens, they had to hide them from Duchess: otherwise, she would find her way to them, sneak one away and bring it to her bed to care for it.

Comments

1. <3

2. Melissa says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

She is a Duchess! Bless her little furball heart! XO sweetie! <3

3. Sweet, but please have Duchess fixed!

• helpful says on  April 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It’s actually dangerous to fix a dog after a certain age. If Duchess had been through so much physical stress the owners might have decided that it was best not to put her through more.

4. :/ wish they’d be more responsible and spay/neuter

• Anonymous says on  April 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Amen sister! Cats & dogs! I can’t believe they allowed an unspayed dog to be adopted in the first place. It’s sweet what the dog did. But the owners need to wake up. Go volunteer at a shelter & see just how many unwanted pets that are euthenized every single day! And they should fricken know better if they rescued an overbred and abused dog in the first place!

• Granny Cat says on  April 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Also, get the cats spayed & neutered as well, then there will be no more litters of kittens. As far as the mother cat getting run over, it wouldn’t have happened if it was in the house. Cats that live in homes & that aren’t allowed to roam around outside live longer & are just as happy. After all she has been through in her sad life, I sure hope sweet little Duchess lives in the house with them & is treated like a loved member of the family.

5. loving doxies…

6. Deborah says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm

This morning on The View Whoppi Goldberg and Elizabeth Hasselbeck stated it was no big deal for Romney to put his dog in a crate and strap him to the roof and drive to Canada. Goldberg compared it to complaining about what color shoes a candidate wore. She stated it is a non issue. I am boycotting this show and think all animal lovers should too.

7. in the original article and video, they mention numerous cat litters too

8. What a sweet little mother! :)

9. Thats a good dog.

10. Monica says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

When I was growing up, my neighbor’s airedale nursed her puppies along with some kittens and a raccoon. She was the best mama dog ever.

11. so cool..what a sweetheart

12. bless her sweet little heart

13. we have a dachshund Phydeaux,he was abandoned at a dumpster in Louisiana.My daughter had him 1st,my son was visiting her and brought him to us in Georgia,he is a loyal and loving dog. <3 dogs :)

14. Vyktar says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:13 pm

she’s addicted to love

15. What a sweet dog, and lucky kitties to have her as a foster mom!

16. We, as humans, should take a lesson about unconditional love! Apparently, Duchess has the right idea 😉

17. This is so sweet.

18. !!!! AWESOME !!!!

19. <3

20. Michele says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

So sweet!

21. a “very good mama”..

22. unconditional love everytime

23. Yvonne says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Jo that is disgusting.. why do some people take something so beautiful and turn it into selfish sex acts.

24. really..there is always that one person that has to say something stupid!! And yes…I also meant Jo Gilbert!

25. Deborah says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yvonne, what? I believe Jo was referring to getting unconditional love, not to anything sexual!

26. Catherine says on  April 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm

perhaps that woman meant: she could use some love and it’s being misread by a few people, I don’t know.

anyhow, Duchess: lovely <3

27. Love it…my dog nurses orphaned kittens from our local shelter too…and even after being spayed she still starts producing for them. <3 We can learn a lot from animals…tolerace and love.

28. Why hasn’t Duchess been spayed and why was the mother cat allowed outside to be run over? SPAY, NEUTER and be responsible pet owners. 800 animals are murdered every hour in the USA only because the have no home and these people are just adding to that by allowing their animals to run free and reproduce. GAH!

29. LOL@ Yvonne and Pia. Way to misread an innocent statement.

30. Marie says on  April 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Awwww sweet thing is that hard on her?

31. Phoenix Michael , you always have something great to say about this breed. Now I understand.

32. We just had a woman on the news here n Tampa that beat her Dachshund puppy with a broom and fractured it’s skull…it;s the cutest little pup…I wanna adopt her but they have 2 keep her a while…the woman…thank God is n jail…they should crack her skull and c how she likes it..all cause it had an accident!!! :((

33. such a beautiful story. <3

34. Wonderful story. Love that Dachshund!

35. I told myself I would unlike this page because of some of the heartbreaking stories then this pops up and I can’t bring myself. And people, lighten up. I can appreciate the act of spaying and neuturing but damn. It’s a feel good story that you are bringing way down. Take it for what it is and quit nit picking it to death. Enough said!

36. *neutering

37. May God bless you always Duchess and her humans!!!

38. Sonja says on  April 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm

my dog Honey did this when our cat Daisy had kittens one time, Honey would get in the box , when we tried to get her out she would growl at us, when the kittens were older and would roam the house, many a times we would have to pull the kitten off Honeys teats , even tho she hasnt had a litter of pups in 5 years, and I know she didnt have any milk, I guess it was mother instinct kicking in. she a good momma dog.

39. i like to see pitbull born and look cute puppy its my favor pitbull 3 1..than all .. but the pitbull big fans..

40. what a loving wee dog

41. Emelia says on  April 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Wow

42. Anonymous says on  April 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm

why won’t they spay/neuter their cat when they know what a great need there is for animals t be rescued? ugh.

43. Tracey says on  April 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Oh Duchess you are so sweet. I hope your little charges get good and loving homes.

44. WisePati says on  April 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

Very sweet! Thanks so much for rescuing her!

Please please get her spayed though if she isn’t! She is a high risk for pyometra and mammary tumors.

And please also get the cats fixed….so many die in shelters each day and in the New Orleans Parish ‘rabies control facilities’ the animals are gassed to death in a horrible way and NO option for adoption! Only rescue!

Please get active in New Orleans to change this holocaust!

Thought New Orleans is a lovely place the the people seem great, I refuse to visit until they step up and change things. Please people! Have a heart!

45. all good from your friends at k9katelynn:) k9katelynn.com

46. Anonymous says on  April 22, 2012 at 12:09 am

Don’t be part of the problem. Spat and neuter.

47. I love dog

48. Amazing how a nice story seems to bring out all the neuter-nazis…really just take the story for what it is and back off.