Non-Surgical Neutering: Chemical Castration for Dogs

A new non-surgical method of sterilization for male dogs promises results similar to surgical procedures, while leaving testicles (and perhaps your dog’s pride) intact.

According to Ark Sciences,the Zinc Neutering process renders dogs sterile without disrupting the endocrine function of the testes.

“What is Zinc Neutering? Zinc Gluconate (What is Zinc Gluconate? ) neutralized with L-Arginine (What is L-Arginine?) is the first compound ever to be approved by the FDA as safe for sterilization. It uses Zinc Gluconate (a trace element) and Arginine (an amino acid), both of which are essential for the body. In fact, they are health supplements that millions of us use every day.

A specific concentration of Zinc Gluconate neutralized with Arginine creates permanent sterilization with no adverse reactions needing medical treatment nearly 99% of the time (see the question on side effects below for other minor reactions). The mechanism is so targeted and precise that in an FDA study, it virtually stopped spermatogenesis in 99.6% of young dogs 3-10 months old, rendering them sterile, while maintaining the endocrine function of the testes.”

After the injection, the Zinc Gluconate solution diffuses in all directions from the center of the testis. The specific concentration of Zinc (a gentle spermicide) used in our formula destroys spermatozoa in all stages of maturation in the seminiferous tubules and in the epididymis. The seminiferous tubules, which were replete with spermatozoa, are now emptied and collapse.

Given the reduced (or nearly non-existent) recovery period and the potential for reduced cost, this looks rather promising – provided that there are no long-term side effects of consequence.

style="display:inline-block;width:600px;height:300px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6679173923296158"
data-ad-slot="6887907140">

Related posts

April 3, 2012 3:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathy

Bobby Tonarely what do you know about this?
    Do I have two candidates?

• April 3, 2012 3:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julee

No. If it’s strong enough to sterilize a dog… it’s strong enough to have side effects on the rest of the body.

April 3, 2012 4:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Holly

no I don’t think so…like Julee said other side effects and what about testicular cancer. and pride-they have no idea what those things are for I’m sure. my boy was neutered at 7 months-he’s fine

April 3, 2012 4:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jenn

Dogs don’t have pride… people do.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

April 3, 2012 4:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura Lynne

would this procedure allow previously disqualified animals from competition since the “jewels” are still there?

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 3, 2012 4:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cyd

all of my boys are already done, but for future reference….

April 3, 2012 4:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tammy

If there were NO side effects, I ABSOLUTELY try this!! No surgery means much less stress on the animal.

April 3, 2012 4:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Heather

It would be a good alternative for older dogs that ya don’t want to put under for the surgery.

• April 3, 2012 4:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sherri

• April 3, 2012 4:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julieann

I question whether it stops some of the other things that neutering stops like prostate and testicular cancer and the hormone induced “male” behaviors like marking, protection of territory, etc. I would need to know a lot more before making this decision. I like the idea for those people that are so attached to the testicles that they won’t neuter and won’t stop the breeding of those dogs I just am not sure if it is right for rescue or me personally.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 3, 2012 4:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Litany

Amen Jenn. I would stay with traditional.

• April 3, 2012 4:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    LaKeshia

I’ve heard from a vet that there have been instances of horrible necrosis resulting from this – some cases so horrible that the dog had to be euthanized. Maybe a promising idea but it sounds like it needs a lot more improvement before it would be anything I’d be comfortable with.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 3, 2012 4:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathy

hell no. we try not to over vaccinate our dogs against real diseases…I wouldn’t go putting this crap in their body. besides, I saw some pushers of this procedure at a rescue conference and got the same slimy feeling as if I’d met the ambulance-chasing lawyers. Hard to get past the dollar signs in their eyes.

April 8, 2013 7:34 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

Actually, it’s cheaper than traditional neutering. Many vets don’t want to switch because its less “profitable”.

April 3, 2012 4:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Deb

Possibly. What I like best about it is it keeps endocrine unction, which is all important for the overall health of the dog. I’d prefer that it was tried on human males first though, before subjecting my dog to it. ;-) .

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 24, 2012 4:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

You are a detestable human being.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

• April 3, 2012 4:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Liz

Neutering reduces the risk of certain cancers as well as reducing the roaming and other undesirable behaviors which can put a dog at risk. Animals that have been fixed lead longer lives !!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 2

April 11, 2012 5:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Amazing that we can train our dogs to lead blind people, walk off leash, sniff out pot, and not get on the furniture but can’t stop an intact male from what? Humping? Jumping a wall? Jacking off? What is so undesirable about an intact male’s behavior? I have and know many performance dogs who can herd cattle, retrieve ducks, walk politely on a leash when attending a dog show with 1500 other intact dogs, give a flying disc exhibition, stay in a fenced yard, visit hospital patients.

If surgery is the answer to behavior then I suppose we could also do lots of other “ectomies” for undesirable behavior: remove vocal chords for undesirable barking, toenails for undesirable digging, rear legs for undesirable jumping, teeth for undesirable chewing, penis for undesirable urination, and visual cortex for undesirable chasing of squirrels.

Dog: Man’s Best Friend. You are born and we might hack your tail off, hack your dewclaws off and perhaps remove half your ears. We breed you hairy so that, once a month, you can spend half a day in a noisy, steamy room with 20 other yappy caged dogs and wait your turn to be scrubbed and plucked and de-matted and clipped while it is demanded that you stay still. And, if electrical collars weren’t bad enough, we’ll just chop off your nuts to control your “undesirable” behavior.

I work in an animal shelter and vehemently support birth control in dogs. If hacking off testicles prevents cancer that may or MAY NOT EVER happen and thwarts undesirable behavior then euthanizing pit bulls would prevent pit bull attacks, no?

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

April 24, 2012 4:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Great post! These people sicken me. It’s funny how it’s always the women too who don’t even think twice about emasculating the animals they supposedly “love”.

If you want a female dog, get one. If you want a passive, fluffy pet that doesn’t behave like a dog – get a cat.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

April 3, 2012 4:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kirsten

I left a really long comment on the story itself. They aren’t yet sure of the possible long-term side effects and I wasn’t sure if it would protect against testicular cancer, prostate issues, wandering behavior, aggressive behavior, etc. like normal neutering does seeing as how the amount of testosterone is not affected and the testicles are still present. Personally, I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable going this route right now, but I think it could be extremely useful for mass neutering efforts for stray animals and for people who are afraid of neutering “changing their animal”, blah blah blah. My boys are both neutered and they don’t miss their balls in the least bit, haha.

April 3, 2012 4:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bethany

I don’t see a “100% effective” in there!

April 3, 2012 4:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Storm

Nice one Laura …lets all worry just about that huh

April 3, 2012 4:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

A chemical? Is this painful to the dog? What is the rate of a bad reaction?

April 3, 2012 4:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cait

I love my dogs’ “pouches”.. if neuticals weren’t so darn expensive, I would have gotten them… I like the appearance of an intact male, but I agree with Julieann – I don’t think this would stop/prevent the other problems produced by the male hormones produced by the testes :( I do like any less invasive method of neutering, but I’m not sure this is *it*…

April 24, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

You sound a bit too attracted to your animals genitalia.

Additionally, a male animal’s penis and testicles are not your “play thing” to be admired. You talk about them as if they are irrelevant to the animal and as if it’s morally fine for you to decide whether they are disposable or not.

Disgusting.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 3, 2012 4:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda-Sunny

Nope. Wouldn’t stop testicular cancer. I’ll keep doing it the old fashioned way.

April 3, 2012 4:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joel

@Deb, OWWW!!!!

April 3, 2012 4:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jennifer

I really do not think the dogs have the image concious ego that humans have. When my siberian mix lost an eye after a fight, the vet offered us a glass eye. I said, “I really don’t think he cares.” My vet replied, “I don’t think he does either.” I would rather surgery and be done with it than chemical flooding through his system to do gods only know what.

April 3, 2012 4:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Paula

Obviously it wouldn’t stop cancer and for my own dogs I am happy for them to be done the traditional way.. But as someone who has met many bonehead males in my life and even more since my involvement in rescue.. For those idiots out there who want their dogs to still have nuts, if for no reason other than appearances I think it is a fantastic idea..

It can be an ongoing battle convincing some that it is the best thing for the dog and the fight to stop morons breeding will go on forever.. I believe it will help in some way if we can sterilize and ensure we make a dent in all those unwanted pups.. While there maybe side effects the people who I see this being an option for wouldn’t sterilize otherwise so their dogs would still be at risk.. And because there are those sorts of people out there I know a vet who will do a vasectomy type operation on the males when requested.. At least it contributes to slowing down the cycle!!

April 3, 2012 4:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karin

April 24, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Castration IS the easy way out – and who’s to decide what’s best for the dog? You?

Maybe IT would have a different preference between cancer and emasculation than you’d think.

April 3, 2012 4:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christine

I’ll stick with the old fashioned way thank you very much.

April 3, 2012 4:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bailey

i think it sounds promising. i would want to make 100% sure that there are no long term problems.

April 3, 2012 4:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debbie

I wish they could do it for my dog, I do not like the thought of major surgery for him

April 3, 2012 4:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kelly

I think it’s an awesome alternative for guys who want to keep their male dogs “manhood” in tact…these “chemicals” are natural….it’s Zinc and amino acids….it’s not unsafe! This is not a new procedure either. It has been used in the past but was taken off the market because it was not “species” specific and could be used on humans. Which honestly I think is a freaking good thing! The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

April 3, 2012 4:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Marilyn

I called my vet & they probably won’t do it for a year. I have 2 males that are not neutered.

April 3, 2012 4:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cindy

So how will you know if that male dog carrying his testicles is able to breed, or is chemically altered? Will you be able to show the purebred dogs, even if they are neutered in this fashion? I would rather know at a glance, that a male dog is neutered. Therefore – “off with them”!

April 3, 2012 4:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Paula

Sorry julieann hadn’t read all your post first.. You think like me!!! I actually had a male like that.. Still have but he knows better now.. Our first dog.. Ra ra ra not cutting my dogs nuts ra ra ra.. Our dogs broke out one day our desexed girl came home that night .. Max did not.. A friend found him about 3kms from home in a major park about 5 days into us searching for him.. I had ranted for those 5 days about how if he was desexed he would have come home when Tammy did.. When he came home Danny said we better get him desexed.. I was up and out the door with him the next morning before he woke and changed his mind.. And he quickly realised Max was still Max the dog he always was.. Never even questioned another dog being desexed and now he will encourage it!!!

April 3, 2012 4:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura Lynne

@Storm Christina It is not my only question, but it IS one that hadn’t already been asked, since this is a concern and typical excuse why purebreed owners hesitate to neuter their pets…but thanks for the snotty response. Appreciate it.

April 4, 2012 11:39 amPosted 2 years ago
      Lisa

It was a very good question Laura. :)

• April 3, 2012 4:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rebecca

I’m pretty sure they actually do use something similar on humans. I was reading about vasectomy alternatives not long ago and found something like this. Article said the gel or chemical used shreds the sperm on its way out so it is completly dead when it gets released. This way the dogs may still have pretty strong sex drives though, right?

• April 3, 2012 4:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michayla

My vet actually looked into using this on my Malamute. He has Mega Esophagus and cannot be put under anesthesia. She said it would not help with any of the problems that neutering can help. He ended up not being able to have it done because he is too large.

• April 3, 2012 4:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debra

NEVER!!!…NO WAY!!!…there will DEFINITELY be HEALTH TRADEOFFS down the line!!!

• April 3, 2012 4:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathryn

I doubt there would be no side effects. Personally I’d prefer the added benefit of no hormones. I just can’t see much medical benefit to a chemical treatment.

April 3, 2012 4:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Connie

Laura, I agree with you – this would REMOVE the “I can’t neuter my dog – I show him” response and might be a huge step toward reducing the over-population crisis. On the other hand, it would not be directly beneficial to the animal as traditional neutering is, because it does not remove the possibility of testicular cancers – a real problem with intact males. Since the neuter “surgery” is minimally invasive anyway, I do not believe I’d go the chemical route if in the future I were to adopt a male dog. Too many unknowns on future health problems for my way of thinking.

April 3, 2012 4:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cheryl

Too early to say on this one

April 3, 2012 4:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kristen

If there are no ill term side effects… AND if my dog showed behavior issues because of being intact… I would definitely do it. My American Bulldog has sub-aortic stenosis. Cardiologist does not recommend anesthesia for anything, let alone castration. At almost 3 years old, his condition is worsening. Most dogs don’t live past 4 with his severity. If this type of sterilization would calm him down so his heart would work less hard in certain situations, sign us up!

April 3, 2012 4:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    DaWn

hmmmmm… chemicals scare me!

• April 3, 2012 4:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susan

Deb Moulton sounds like a nitwit! You better keep those “jewels” away from unspayed bitches.

• April 3, 2012 4:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Leslie

Do dogs have ‘pride’ or is this a human projection?

April 3, 2012 4:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I don’t understand why it would have any affect on the “male drives” (which lets face it is one of the real reasons Americans neuter) since it does not in humans. As for health trade offs….surgical neutering has many many proven negative effects on a dogs health, so I do not see why this is any worse. IMO we need RESPONSIBLE pet owners not surgery, not chemicals.

April 3, 2012 4:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Krystal

Definitely. Less invasive.

• April 3, 2012 4:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christina

No I would not do this until they have enough research that it will not harm the animals when they can be 100% sure of that then yes but until that day nope.

April 3, 2012 4:25 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Katey

Probably not but then I am not interested in neutering my boys at all. We have all be force fed the risks of having an intact male but not many people realize that neutering has just as many serious risks including added risks for some cancers.

April 3, 2012 4:25 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angela

less surgery and great news for shelters.

April 3, 2012 4:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Krystal

Provided we’re assuming there are no longterm side effects.

• April 3, 2012 4:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jessica

Can we test it on Republicans first?

April 3, 2012 4:28 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cate

Only if it was long term tested and proven to be completely safe and 100% effective.

April 3, 2012 4:28 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

Yes! Good article – thanks :) .

• April 3, 2012 4:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

My dog doesn’t seem to be concerned with pride. He is a happy boy, much happier than he’d be if I’d left him in tact, and my choice to neuter (I don’t care the method, really, as long as it’s humane) is much more responsible. Don’t give people the idea even for a moment (especially the people that leave dogs intact for their supposed “pride”) that there is anything wrong with any humane mentod.

• April 3, 2012 4:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

method.

April 3, 2012 4:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sumi

No, I would not. I’m concerned that if the chemical neuters the dog, what will it do to the rest of his body? I would have to see long term studies.

April 3, 2012 4:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sumi

Plus, neutering is so much easier than spaying. Male dogs seem to recover quickly and well from it. Much faster than spaying.

• April 3, 2012 4:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Noreen

if this is cheaper and easier then i could see this helping lot with the street dog populations around the world…..

April 3, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Brooke

This might be a good option for L/XL dog breed owners who want their dogs to mature before neutering but aren’t confident in their ability of caring for an intact dog

• April 3, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Erika

Sounds good to me. We had some serious trouble dealing with our boy after he was neutered, because he simply WOULD NOT settle down. So he would pop his stitches, requiring us to constantly clean the wound and hope it would heal. It did, but during that time we had so much blood to clean up around the house.

• April 3, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda

I like the idea but I like the hormone removal when “the boys” come off too. Less leg lifting, less tendency to roam are important reasons to neuter. Not to mention the risk of testicular cancer.

April 3, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ellen

It would great for those men who think their own masculinity is tied to their dog’s possession of testicles.

April 24, 2012 4:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Maybe it’s not so much a source of pride for them but a source of sympathy?

April 3, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda

Cheaper for rescues but scarier for owners. Often dogs are stolen for their breeding potential. Missing bits tend to prove that they’ll be no use.
    The more dogs neutered, the fewer dogs die in PTS pounds.

April 3, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tish

I am all for this to be used on rapist, pedophiles, women and child abusers to ensure the safety of my beloved pooches before I would even consider this.

April 3, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sue

Absolutely NOT! With all the other chemicals that are proving to be carcinogenic years, decades even, after initial use, there is NO way I would opt for chemical castration. I would sooner subject my pooch to a day (or maybe 2) of a little physical discomfort by having a reliable, caring vet perform the surgery.

• April 3, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judith

It’s best to keep sharp objects outside of our bodies. I would do it if there were no harmful health effects.

• April 3, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sherry

Yes, this is great! BUT, what’s to keep us from slipping in our husbands/boyfriends food? I’m just sayin!!!

• April 3, 2012 4:52 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kristin

I feel bad making a dog have surgery. i would approve.

April 3, 2012 4:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shanna

i think this would be much better than the current surgical practice

April 3, 2012 5:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Georgia

April 3, 2012 5:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karin

I’ll say it again people. It may seem like a good “quick fix” but it still won’t prevent testicular cancer. If a dog is still intact, it’s not a question of will they get cancer, but WHEN. The traditional surgery is better for their health. If you truly love your dog, wouldn’t you do whatever you can to prevent cancer? Forget the easy way out. Do what’s best for the dog.

• April 3, 2012 5:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

It says it keeps the endocrine functino of the testes….isn’t that function producing Testosterone? If so – then he would still have the urge and still possibly some of the problems that go along with that…..more info needed but better than nothing I suppose.

• April 3, 2012 5:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Drucilla

growing up my family never neutered and my mom was pretty adamant about dog cleanliness and oversaw all baths to ensure the we washed EVERY part…..so yeah, since getting dogs of my own, those things are coming off!!

April 3, 2012 5:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Wendy

interesting

April 3, 2012 5:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shelley

I have two dogs both fixed. My dogs “pride” was not hurt not that he has no testicles. He’s confident and healthy. He also doesn’t hump people anymore either.

• April 3, 2012 5:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Maresa

I see one positve thing coming from this. If this gets guys to “zeuter” their males dogs, with out them worried about their male dogs loosing his “man hood” then great. How much does it cost???? Is it economical? Yes it looks to be VERY quick, but is this going to stop a male dog from jumping a fence when he smells and in heat bitch, I doubt it? Will this prevent testosterone induced tumors, NO? Male on Male aggression NO? And it’s another chemical introduced into the dogs body. Personally I really don’t want to see those things dangling if I don’t have to.

April 3, 2012 5:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amber

The only person who cares about dog testicles are the men who own the dogs. My male dogs do not miss their balls, trust me. That said, I am all for any castration procedure that is safe for the animal.

April 3, 2012 5:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

The dog has no ‘pride’ about his testicles. The human males do have ‘pride’ about their male dog and his testicles. I see no reason for this procedure. Good grief! Let’s invest time and energy and money to provide veterinary health care for those who cannot afford it! Sheesh!

• April 3, 2012 5:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Maresa

I have 3 pure bred dogs and I DID show my male and I COULDN’T”T neuter him as they have to be intact to show, he is now neutered and a happy boy, never noticed any behavior changes as he was a good boy with his two nutty friends and was the same after with out. Unless they are being shown in veterans class 7yr and older. My first Chinese Crested is a show quality male, but his temperament was not right for the ring or breeding so his breeder petted him out and I love him dear and I couldn’t WAIT to remove his “junk” I don’t have pure bred snobbery. I just had my 18 month old dog neutered, he never once looked down as though “OMD where did they go?” A dog neuter is NOT very invasive as most people think and that video makes it out to be. (now that IF the dog has both testicles and is not cryptorcid) A typical dog neuter takes only minutes to do (I’ve been in a lot of neuter surgeries) From start to finish (from pre-op to suture, it’s probably about 20 mins, IF that) and the younger the dog the quicker the surgery, as the bld vesicles are smaller and less swelling and the dog is fine.

• April 3, 2012 5:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jose

I lost my husky while the vet was neutering him. He suffocated on the operating table because the vet tech forgot to open a valve. So I would prefer this method easily

• April 3, 2012 5:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christina

it seems reasonable i guess

April 3, 2012 5:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Keegan

Lovin all the sexist comments about men here. I thought we were talking about dogs, not humans.

• April 3, 2012 5:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christina

i rescued my dog from a kennel breeder (he has much mental damage from abuse an malnourishment) and I HAD to neuter him because he constantly tried to hump everything that moved then would caue himself to have seizures so I needed to remove them for his health and help cal him.

April 3, 2012 5:51 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Caro

Try it out on all sex offenders and pedifiles first

April 3, 2012 5:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jenny

NEVER. Testosterone from the gonads addles the brain (think, he can only think with one head at a time), and that’s another big reason for me to neuter, as well as to reduce marking (at least in cats). Also, I really don’t like having to see them!

• April 3, 2012 5:55 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ronald

Not sure would go with advice from the vet

April 3, 2012 5:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Opal

I won’t try new procedures & medications if I have a choice, until long term affects or side affects are known. Caro is right. Try it on sex offenders & pedophiles.

April 3, 2012 6:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Erin

We neuter for health and temperament, not just sterilization. It doesn’t look like this procedure would prevent them from maturing sexually… or prevent the issues that can come with it. No thanks.

• April 3, 2012 6:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Maresa

@ Keegan we are not trying to offend men, but when working in the vet field and in rescue work and dealing with male clients and their refusal to neuter their male dogs because it’ll take away their dogs “man hood” it’s VERY VERY common. The do all but walk out of the exam room holding their crotches. You mention neutering and they go “Oh no I could never do that to him” and they cringe at the thought, even with all the information out their on how it improves lives and they’ll have a happier dog in the end, they refuse to neuter. I was explaining my dogs neuter to my neighbor and he DID hold his crotch while I explained it, and that was just the pre-op shave of the scrotum. I’m a vet tech and it’s such a simple procedure. The amazing thing is that these same men will spay a female with out a bat of an eye, but neuter their male, no way!!!!

April 3, 2012 6:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susan

I had to get my dog neutered when he was 11 due to an enlarged prostate. Neutering also eliminates testicular cancer.

April 3, 2012 6:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Opal

I’m more concerned with female sterilization. I’ve had males & females & know the females go through much worse than males. I don’t think ego is a problem for the pets. Just some of the male owners.

April 3, 2012 6:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Why would you want the endocrine function to remain intact??? males will have the urge to chase females in heat, be prone to testicular and prostate cancer to name a few…

• April 3, 2012 6:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bobbye

Amazing!

• April 3, 2012 6:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

No way – doesn’t rule out testicular cancer!

• April 3, 2012 6:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

The article doesn’t say whether the procedure requires anaesthetic? If not, I would as I have a bulldog – being brachycephalic avoiding anaesthesia and the complications it presents for short nosed pups I would definitely prefer this option

April 3, 2012 6:52 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura S

Remember, everybody, that we all want the same thing for our pets, here; happy, healthy lives! So these online living rooms are great-don’t fight! The procedure sounds VERY promising. I would like for a few years of study and observation to be done before trying it on one of mine. There are ALWAYS risks with ANY procedure-animal or human…CRYSTAL DESPRES-I agree with just about everything you said. I worked in an inner-city shelter for several years (that DID euthanize), and worked as a vet technician for 5 years after that. I think a lot of people just have very idealistic, utopian almost, ideas for their own and other peoples’ dogs…they don’t see things on an EXTREMELY large scale, like we do/did…they’re thinking about how things are in their own homes, and at the dog park, you know? So they don’t know what’s really going on out there in the trenches, so to speak. But you are right, I’m afraid. Thank you for your tireless work!

April 4, 2012 11:35 amPosted 2 years ago
      Crystal

I just get tired of fighting with ppl about how beneficial traditional neutering is to the well being of their dog. I got my dog done at 9 months (waiting list at my vet is long) and he didn’t bat an eye over losing his ‘manhood’ as most ppl call it. I could see he had some discomfort after for a day or 2, but honestly, if we have to get a hysterectomy, we are bed ridden for 6 weeks, and if guys had to do the same procedure…well 10 years in terapy, and they’d be moaning about it forever…(no offence intended) Dogs, just bounce right back within a couple days, and most pet owners can’t keep them quiet enough during the first week so as to keep their sutures intact. Unless you have worked in the larger scale of dog care/ shelters/ rescues, and you KNOW what it is to euthanize 15-20 unwanted animals per day, day after day after day. To most ppl, if it doesn’t happen in front of them it didn’t happen at all…well it DID happen in front of me and let me tell you, emergency surgery cause a pet is intact and has cancer is a lot more costly than regular neutering at a young age, most likely the dog is older and can’t handle anesthesia very good, and unless caught in time is 100% fatal….I won’t post again here as most ppl that don’t want their pets neutered for false reasons can’t be reasoned with and I will not spend my time arguing with IDIOTS\

April 4, 2012 11:40 amPosted 2 years ago
        Anonymous

last post….look at the video…this innovative ‘safer’ procedure was only tested on 270 dogs!!!!! and only recently!!! give me a study of 10,000 dogs over their lifespan, then tell me if it’s safe, then I might consider it, until then I’ll stick to traditional neutering…..and remember even natural products, when used improperly are fatal to animals

April 3, 2012 6:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Penelope

I think there is too much reliance these days on pharmaceuticals. There’s a drug for EVERYTHING! And all those drugs have side effects, for which another drug can be prescribed to (hopefully) counteract. We are on so many drugs these days it is scary! I know there have been many advances over the last 100 years, but I say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I can see why some might choose a chemical option, I would choose surgical castration, and stay away from drugs.

April 3, 2012 7:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Beth

NO WAY! Hate pharmaceutical companys and until the side affects are known wouldnt subject any dog to it…I will stick with tried and true. Chemical castration cannot be without unwanted side affects….

April 3, 2012 7:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diana

It would certainly be desirable for those owners whose own manliness seems to be tied up with their dog’s…

April 3, 2012 7:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cristina

My vet said this is not safe…?

• April 3, 2012 7:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Paul

If this works well and is more affordable, maybe more people will be able to get their dogs neutered. For the lady who said dogs “look better without testicles” please stick with female dogs. Not being mean, just sayin…..

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0