Recall Alert: Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Following today’s expanded pet food recall by Diamond Pet Foods, the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) is issuing a health alert urging consumers to use caution when handling pet foods.

Diamond Pet Food issued a recall on April 10, 2012 for a limited number of dry dog food bags. That recall was expanded today to include certain lots of its Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul dog food. Laboratory analysis completed by ODA’s Consumer Protection Laboratory showed the pet food tested positive for Salmonella contamination.

Salmonella is an organism that can cause illness in a person who eats a food item contaminated with it. Symptoms of infection may include fever and gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting or abdominal pain. The illness primarily impacts young children, frail and elderly people and those with weakened immune systems. Most healthy adults and children rarely become seriously ill. Anyone exhibiting signs of a Salmonella infection should contact a healthcare provider.

“People typically contract a Salmonella infection by ingesting food or water that has been contaminated,” said Dr. Beverly Byrum, ODA Laboratory Director. “In this case, however, an infection can occur by putting objects or fingers that have touched a contaminated product, such as pet food, into the mouth or by touching a pet or, in extreme cases, a person, that is infected.”

Pets that have consumed food contaminated with Salmonella may also become ill. Signs of an infection in a pet include decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may also become lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and may vomit. If your pet is exhibiting any of these signs, contact your veterinarian.

“It is important to note that healthy pets can also be carriers of Salmonella, even if they are not exhibiting signs of illness, and they can still infect other animals or humans,” said Dr. Byrum.

Consumers who believe their pet has consumed the recalled product should limit contact with the animal by humans and other animals, and be sure to thoroughly wash any hands or objects that come in contact with the animal.

Update: specifics regarding lots/formulas are as follows:

We encourage consumers who have purchased Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food with the specific production codes and best before dates to discard the product. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused our customers and their dogs.  No dog illnesses have been reported.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula – dry dog food:

35 lb – CLF0102B31XCW,    Best by Date 27/JAN/2013

35 lb – CLF0102B31XCW,    Best by Date 28/JAN/2013

35 lb – CLF0102B32XWR,    Best by Date 28/JAN/2013

6 lb – CLF0102B3XALW,     Best by Date 28/JAN/2013

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods and was distributed in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia, who may have further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels. The company is working directly with distributors and retailers who carry these products to remove them from the supply chain.

Concerned customers can receive additional information by calling 800-442-0402.

April 26, 2012 5:29 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Elizabeth

make everything by scratch

April 26, 2012 5:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Corrine

I make my own dog food and am looking for a real good recipe for healthy low calorie treats.

April 26, 2012 9:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I just roast some kind of meat in water and slice and cut in small cubes and freeze and use that as treats: they usually do not gain weight w/meat and the pieces are so small and frozen – they still think it’s the greatest treat: Remember, the treat does not have to be big to satisfy them.

April 26, 2012 5:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Helen

thank you for sharing. i did too so hopefully no pets will be harmed.

April 26, 2012 5:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Barbara Jean

As far as I know, the Fromm’s brand I feed my dogs has NEVER been recalled. Of course, I don’t feed them anything I can pick up at a big box store, either.

• April 26, 2012 5:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Horst

Dogs should not eat soup, anyway! Soup is for people witout teeth. Dogs need beef! Real beef!

• April 26, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Matt

^^^ Top-2 comments: and quit your day job while you’re at it… Barely have enough time to cook fresh food for myself, and my pup loves his Beneful dry food

April 26, 2012 8:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Pennie

Matt check you label for beneful. Some varietys have Animal Digest (AKA Road Kill) Propylene Glycol (in soap) and sugar. Also as with people food coloring is also not good for dogs.

April 29, 2012 10:20 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Beneful is horrible food. Full of cheap fillers and by-products…yuch! Anything you can buy in a grocery store is garbage.

April 26, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Riki

Wow. That’s what we use. Thanks for sharing.

April 26, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

and yet another good reason to feed fresh…..

• April 26, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Connie

thanks for the update, so many over the past few years.

April 26, 2012 5:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Stephanie

I became sick from the Diamond…..I have never heard of a Dog Chow recall………and this is what I will feed my dogs from now on. My lasy dog lived 16 years on it.

April 29, 2012 10:22 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Purina dog chow is horrible food also. If you see corn or by-products in the ingredients…don’t buy it.

April 26, 2012 5:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debbie

FDA doesn’t have it listed on their web site yet…how do we find out the lot numbers and dates?

April 26, 2012 5:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jay

Yet another presumed safe brand, last week it was Diamond, before that Iams, before that…We are starting to run out of brands that haven’t had some kind of a recall by now…

April 26, 2012 5:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joe

Wait…. if it’s ok to feed your dog BARF (bones and raw food), which could carry salmonella, how is this an issue?

April 26, 2012 5:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    LaVonda

Elizabeth, how do you make your dog food? Do you have a recipe?

• April 26, 2012 5:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Debbie Stanfield this just broke and thus far, no lots have been identified. Please play it safe and don’t feed until clarification is offered.

• April 26, 2012 5:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sarah

thanks for sharing! ironically, I cooked for my dogs when one of them was very ill. she stabilized and is now happily on a prescription dry food as she was allergic to beef & chicken! cooking for them is a nice idea but you have to find the right food. And have the time. I didn’t even make my own baby food! Life is too busy. (:

• April 26, 2012 5:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

good grief

April 26, 2012 5:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debbie

Thanks for letting us know =)

April 26, 2012 5:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lynne

Joe, it isn’t really unless your dog has a damaged immune system in the first place. I feed ours raw and no one ever gets sick.
    The salmonella stuff is a crock:

April 26, 2012 5:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lauren

@ Matt- No, your dog loves the fat that is sprayed onto krapple to make it more palatable. I’d be embarrassed to admit that I feed my dog Beneful. A raw diet is all I will ever feed my dogs. If you can’t afford or don’t have the time to feed your dog properly, you shouldn’t have a dog.

• April 26, 2012 5:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Maresa

At least they are recalling it. This is good to know, because I feed this to my rats.

• April 26, 2012 5:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Melanie

You should never bash someone because they choose to feed their dog a certain brand of dog food rather than raw food. That’s no reason to tell someone they shouldn’t have a dog.

April 26, 2012 5:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debbie

I’m seriously considering making my dogs food going forward….so done with these recalls

April 26, 2012 5:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joe

Wow Lauren, that’s a bit harsh.

• April 26, 2012 5:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Elena

OMG! I buy these food for my dog.

April 26, 2012 5:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sandra

I feed mine Merrick wet and dry and never had any problems.

• April 26, 2012 5:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Gale Doug

yeah take it easy Lauren apparently you have all the money and time in the world have had many a dog that lived long without a raw diet.

• April 26, 2012 5:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sarah

I’m about to start making my own dog food. It seems almost every brand of dog food has had a recall as of late of some kind. not good. means something is going wrong somewhere that effects all of them

April 26, 2012 5:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pam

ugh

• April 26, 2012 5:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Gema

no quality control

April 26, 2012 6:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lauren

I don’t believe everyone should feed raw. I just think people should do their research before feeding krapple to their dogs. Would you feed your kids McDonalds for every meal for their entire life? There are decent brands out there, just nothing I would personally feed. I see dogs on a daily basis with bald patches, red skin, ear and eye infections, and sores. They are the classic cases of allergies. Miserable dogs that are ripping their own hair out due to discomfort. I know people who have put their dog on long term steroids. I was one of them before I tried raw and I’ve never looked back. People are still feeding chicken jerky from China. What does that tell you about peoples’ attentiveness to their dog’s health?

April 26, 2012 6:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

A statement Thursday said the latest recall includes one production run of the company’s Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food. The company said one bag tested positive for Salmonella, and the recall is being conducted as a precautionary measure. No dog illnesses have been reported.

The product was distributed to customers in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.

The plant is the same one that made mold-contaminated food that killed dozens of dogs nationwide in 2005.

___

The recall covers:

— Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul 35 lb. CLF0102B31XCW 27/JAN/2013, CLF0102B32XWR 28/JAN/2013

— Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula 35 lb. CLF0102B31XCW 28/JAN/2013

— Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul 6lb. CLF0102B3XALW 28/JAN/2013

April 26, 2012 6:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ashley

I’d fed raw if I had an affordable source :/ I’ve looked. I don’t think dumping meat into a bowl would take any more time than it takes to scoop kibble.

April 26, 2012 6:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Chris

I buy this exact formula for my dogs … And when I called the 1-800 number listed on the announcement, the representative told me there wasn’t such a recall. I even read verbatim from their own website!! She offered to refund my money if I mail in a receipt … I said no thanks, I will just stop buying your food. It’s crazy that even their own representatives don’t know what the hell is going on. Now, I need to throw out what is left of the food I bought and find another brand.

July 15, 2012 1:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

wise up .. not danger to dogs. I had my four dogs on this and all doing beyond great

• April 26, 2012 6:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Chris Brady, sorry to hear that! Specific lots have been disclosed, so there is no questioning the recall….

• April 26, 2012 6:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Donal

it could not be soup for dogs thats crazy.

• April 26, 2012 6:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    James

That would explain my…uh…intestinal issues.Will throw it out right away.PS. I don’t even have a dog!

April 26, 2012 6:19 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jay

I just spoke with one of their reps, very nice lady, they verbally confirmed it does not affect any other batches of this product. The real problem is we now import 70% of our animal protein used in pet foods from China. If you imagine the stuff going into a US rendering plant is disgusting, itry visualizing what goes into the intake stream of a typical Chinese plant. That is what too many major brands of our pet food is made from, it hardly matters whose name is actually on the label.

• April 26, 2012 6:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    James

Now I hear must also get rid of the Chineese treats as well.Damn,I love Chineese food! Whats a man to eat?Bummer.

April 26, 2012 6:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Brandy

Chris – I called their rep as well and was told that the chicken soup food was not affected.. I have no idea what to feed my boys, there is always a problem with something. Amy- Where did you find this information?

April 26, 2012 6:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eleanor

Diamond was involved in the last big recall when dogs died.Corn was the problem. They make other brands, so I’m looking at that too.

April 26, 2012 6:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sue

Sorry James :( hehe

• April 26, 2012 6:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debra

O brother

April 26, 2012 7:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Alyssa

If you’re looking for a safe and healthy alternative to Diamond products, check out Life’s Abundance Holistic Foods. It’s a vet-formulated food that has never been recalled.

• April 26, 2012 7:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Danielle

No offense to anyone… Hills and purina never have recalls. I work in a vet clinic. These foods are lab and feed tested. If you don’t know what that means then you probably don’t know that all of these other crap foods can not claim to be “holistic” or “organic”! No surprise to me. I bought them also in the past.. Great marketing but your pet is the guinea pig.

April 26, 2012 10:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Those pet foods are loaded with corn etc. My dogs itch like crazy and chew at themselves. Finally tried Nutro Ultra 4 yrs. ago and they love it and no more chewing and scratching.

April 26, 2012 7:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sarah

Lauren’s comment really made me angry. how can you call yourself a dog lover and then tell someone they do not deserve to have a dog because they dont feed a raw diet? especially with all the unwanted dogs in shelters it makes me angry. we all love our dogs and we do the very best we can for them. a loving home is most important!!

April 26, 2012 8:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nanci

Amen Sarah….could not have said it any better. :)

April 26, 2012 8:29 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jennifer

Daniella the vet has told me that as well however what about all the corn and byproducts? I thought about going back to Purina.

April 26, 2012 8:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

@ Brandy Bengoa. CBS news online. @ Danielle Amato no offense you are wrong about Hills and purina never having recalls!! They have had MANY. You obvious work for another brainwashed Hills Vet because they are one of the WORST food companies out there! They use many toxic chemicals and piss poor ingredients. Purina is just as bad! As far as many brands saying organic or holistic being bad, I agree with you on that. vets are being blinded by hills in vet school. Vets do not study nutrition in school, it’s shoved down their throats. They DO have recalls and the standards they have are a joke. (I also work for vets)

April 26, 2012 10:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Roslyn

Dogs are carnivores. They have no need for and can’t digest fruits, vegetables and grain. Google David Mech and read his wolf research. Canines are genetically 99% wolf. Prey Model raw and franken prey surpass processed canned, dry, frozen or freeze dried food. Canine nutritional needs 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ(s). And an Omega 3 supplement if meat source is not wild or grass-fed to balance Omega 6 heavy feed-lot meat. Check out yahoo group ‘Rawfeeding’ (over 23,000 members), Rawchat’, and FB ‘Rawfeeding’. Search You Tube for raw feeding clips. Google ‘Natural Rearing’ of dogs. Vet schooling on nutrition is based on info obtained from and influenced by dog food companies. ‘Follow the money trail’

April 27, 2012 6:50 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Thanks for sharing, this is what we feed our dogs.
    it had been recently pulled from the shelves. we were told they were having shipping problems!!!!!!

April 27, 2012 9:50 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I feed my ten year old Diamond Hilistic 30.00 a bag for seniors. And now to gind out it is just bogus actually pisses me off that I was doing my liitle man a favor by thinking I was buying him a better food. Hope it hasn’t been recalled. i guess higher priced doesn’t mean healthier. please tell me if this Diamond senior has been recalled. This makes me sick!

April 27, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    mmttw

I’m guessing not many of you read labels. None of them are perfect, but Chicken Soup products use way more meats, and different types of meats, and way less garbage like by-products (shudder) than any other brand I have found. This is very unfortunate, but at least they recalled this product before even their representatives knew what was happening. I don’t use the light kind, but I do use their regular. Read the labels sometime. Compare them to the other brands. I can’t even tell you how many dog food labels I have read. If there is a better food in MN, I haven’t found it.

My rescue girl came to me with what they thought was Demodex Mange. She had almost no hair, and was being fed a “raw” diet for the last 6 months or better. I mixed some of it with my Chicken Soup food, and she actually rejected the raw in favor of the food. Less than a month later, she had all of her hair back, and was doing swell.

Again, sad that this happened, but a huge believer in their product. There are only 2 stores anywhere near where I live that sell it, and I had to hunt them down. No, I don’t work for them. I just have had really good success with their food, and maybe I resent a little the gal who basically said I was not worthy of my dogs for feeding it to them.

April 27, 2012 7:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    JJ

Thank you mmttw, I totally agree with you. My cats and dogs have benefited from the Chicken Soup products. When I read the label my first comment was they are eating healthier than I and I do eat healthy!!

May 3, 2012 5:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

some of you are pretty dim.this is dog food not soup…that is the brand name.and this is actually a pretty high quality kibble,it is not a grocery store brand like iams or pedigree,its only sold at small pet stores for the most part.and fromm has had recalls,almost every brand has…it has nothing to do with the quality of the food.

May 5, 2012 8:14 amPosted 2 years ago
    Barry

I too have been feeding Chicken Soup tried both adult and light.Am very disappointed in this company that I trusted. Buying food from Diamond is neither ethical moral nor earth friendly. They should be ashamed. Diamond is importing from china, is on record for 14 dog deaths, and already has numerous human illnesses this year and its only April. Four recalls to boot.
    Lets see, where should chicken soup buy their food? Why don’t they buy it from a dog killing people sickening company? After all, thats a fair gamble and Holistic Really not willing to risk Lolas health, mines a different story

May 5, 2012 8:36 amPosted 2 years ago
    Barry

By the way, we have the bad food, and I had all the symptoms last nite. Anyone want a cheap bag of holistic dog food? Back to the search for a quality food at an affordable price

May 6, 2012 1:41 amPosted 2 years ago
    EJMalyn

Was feeding my dogs Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul, in fact, have been for the past couple of years, but now have switched to Blue Buffalo that my Vet recommended, my girls love it and it is not made by Diamond. I am just praying that no one out there ends up with a sick pet.

July 18, 2012 5:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angie

I had switched my dog to this dog food in late 2010 as we had just had a baby and were trying to be more budget conscious. My dog died on the 27th of December and it has always haunted me that it may have been related to the dog food. i had always tried to give him good food like lamb and rice from eaglepack, since this brand was in a petstore I thought it would be ok… Although he was a 13 year old black lab cross he had been so healthy except for one cystic lump that had to be drained from his neck. He would go for a little run and a walk with us everyday. He seemed to just be so drained in December, I made excuses then it was too late. I still feel guilty.

• August 9, 2012 2:21 amPosted 2 years ago
    Proplylene Glycol

I feed my dogs Pedigree..
    Is it good for them?

• February 12, 2013 10:40 amPosted 1 year ago
    deenibeeni

This is a great site for evaluating every food out there. I’ve been feeding my dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul. It’s the least expensive 4-star food, comparable in quality to foods that cost twice as much. Really disappointed about this recall.

Anyway, here’s the site: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Lots of great info there.