Hawk Drops Puppy From the Sky

A California family is caring for a miraculous survivor after a hawk dropped a puppy in their back yard. Los Banos resident Elaine Bouschard and her grandson, Taylor Callaway, say they were shocked when they saw a dog fall from the sky.

Now the family has decided to adopt the puppy. Callaway said she plans to add him to her menagerie of pets: cats, dogs, horses – and ironically, a couple of hawks.

“My thought is that when god drops a puppy from the sky, you keep it,” said Bouschard. “I actually think God just dropped me a baby to have for Mother’s day, so this is my baby for Mothers Day!”

The family estimates that the puppy is about three weeks old: he opened his eyes for the first time yesterday.

Comments

1. oh my gosh, i saw a hawk drop a squirrel, but thats one lucky dog.

2. It is a wonder that the little baby made it through the fall.

3. Karen says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

awwww I am glad it dropped the pup

4. unbelievable !

5. Layla says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

OMD!!!

6. Michele says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

Precious angel! Lucky puppy didn’t become dinner for the mean ole Hawk. I’d have to keep that baby!!!

7. Lucky puppy!

8. Christine says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hope baby gets reunited with its momma :-(

• Anonymous says on  May 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hey Christine:

I’m thinking that family isn’t about to look for the owner of the pup. Sad. They can use God all they want about justifying not looking for the rightful owners.

I’ve been waiting for someone to turn my dog in since xmas eve 12/24/11.

• Anonymous says on  May 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Are you talking about your pup or the puppy that fell out of the sky? Please, do use common sense. How can you look for the owner or mother of the puppy if it fell from the sky? The hawk could have flown from anywhere.

9. awww

10. Jessica says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

Aren’t 8 week old puppies up and running around? Sounds more like 8 days…?

• Jill says on  May 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yeah, generally puppies don’t open their eyes until between two and three weeks old I think. He is one very lucky pup! After all, he could have ended up as dinner.

11. That is one lucky lucky dog.

12. awwwww

13. Dustin says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

A gift from above. Literally.

14. Lucky little fella. FAR too young to be away from his mum, though.

15. Elise says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

what?? omg. that is unbelievable. Glad he is ok!! His Mom must be so sad

16. Jessica – I thought the same thing, the baby looks really young. Lucky puppy an lucky lady!

17. Karen says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

ohmygosh

18. Betty says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

They say this puppy is 8 weeks old and just opened his eyes yesterday. Puppies open their eyes around 2 weeks. He’s still suckling. I hope they figure out that he’s still so young that he needs milk. Geez!

19. Tracy says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

yea 4 pup! we have a LOT of crows in our area this year, and we are finding *gag* remains of all kinds of animals in our yard – crows are just as strong and fierce as hawks, clearly hawks are stronger, but crows eat anything they can attack as well

20. Lori says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

Puppies open their eyes between 10-14 days. Glad the pup survived and that it’s got a home!

21. Leslie says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

a woman that owns dogs and thinks a puppy opens its eyes at 8 weeks old?

22. Cheryl says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

puppies open their eyes long before 8 weeks, that baby is 3 weeks old at most..

23. Christine says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

that puppy is only about 2 weeks old…at eight weeks he should be running around and eating on his own….

24. Renee says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

That puppy is nowhere near 8 weeks, if it just opened its eyes for the first time. Did the family try to find the owners before claiming it for their own? I’m glad the puppy is safe and will have a home regardless, but it still needs its mother, if at all possible, and attempts should be made to find where the dog came from!

25. Marie says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

He must be only 2 or 3 weeks old if he is just opening his eyes, not 8 weeks old! What a story!

26. Jennifer says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m glad that pup survived, but that woman doesn’t know much about dogs if she thinks it’s 8 weeks old. Looks more like 8-10 days to me.

27. Elise says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

a new take on babies being delivered by pelicans

28. OMG!!! IM SO HAPPY HE MADE IT!!

29. If the puppy just opened it’s eye’s…I would say It’s about 3 week’s old….not 8 weeks…..

30. Maybe it was just a typo & she meant 8 days old

31. This is why my puppies don’t go outside in the open until they are at least 10 lbs.

32. So god is a hawk? WTF?!

33. I’m guessing they haven’t taken this puppy to the vet?! If so they would know this puppy is A LOT younger than 8 weeks.

34. Betty says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

They just changed the story and are now saying it’s about 3 weeks old. Apparently our comments hit home! :) Let’s just hope this woman has the sense to get some Esbilac!

35. Aimee says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Wow!

36. Krystal says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:08 am

Poor baby!

37. Renee, I agree this puppy should be with his mommy until it’s strong enough to be on his own (new owner)…but was this baby out in the open? Who leaves newborn puppies outside their house, was mom a street dog?

38. LaDella says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

… 8 days is more likely

39. Jennifer says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

puppies only start to open their eyes at 10 days ..POOR THING@

40. Estrella says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

OMG…..

41. Adrienne says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Amazing story but WTF does God have to do with it??

42. Anna says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

“OH NO!”, said the Pug.

43. Nancy says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

They should name it Sky. Lucky pup!

44. That’s pretty cool :)

45. Deborah says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ohh my, please keep us up dated.

46. Deborah says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

47. Sheral says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

lucky little one … hope it found a forever home

48. Jennifer says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow!!

49. But someone else is MISSING a puppy!! Finding the puppy’s mom may be the best idea.

• Anonymous says on  May 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

And how do you propose to do that???

• Anonymous says on  May 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

get real. It dropped out of the sky. You could never know how far the hawk grabbed the puppy from and what if a stray was the mother? The puppy is in good hands. Leave it at that.

50. Diana says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

oh my,

51. Judith says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

amazing.

52. Jenny says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

read the article- the family said 3 weeks old- it was the reporter that said 8 weeks. we all know reporters don’t always get things right- maybe reading a teleprompter, the 3 looked like an 8, just sayin. The puppy will be fine- this woman looks quite happy to care for it and I have a feeling that puppy will grow up well loved.

53. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Oh guys… The puppy is nibbling a finger like a nipple.

They know it needs a bottle.

It opened it’s eyes, they don’t do that starving.

Relax, its a cool ending.

54. Linda says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

WOW..

55. Susie says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:20 am

I can’t believe I live in a world where people can’t read and comprehend a simple one-paragraph article and then get all up in arms about it. Read, people….don’t just listen. There is no way someone who lives with a bunch of animals would think that was an 8 week old puppy.

56. I would keep him too!! Sweet angel

57. Donna says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

I will never let Bax, Gracie , Isaac or Charlotte out in the back yard alone ever again, especially since there is a hawk flying around Dimondale !!

58. I know Hawks r very eager 2 haul off little pups…I keep Lacey on a leash at all times…she only weighs 5 1/2 lbs…she’s an easy pic 4 a hawk…

59. Katharine says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

If you read the article, especially the last 2 lines before the video, it states 3 weeks. The newscaster obviously made a mistake on the video portion.

60. Barbara says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

what a great story

61. Because the mistake really matters

62. What a little miracle from the sky.

63. Josie says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Wow …

64. Adriana says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

It’s a great story. Cracks me up how people have to focus & CORRECT the age of the puppy or put their 2 cents in regards to animals in general. It’s obviously being well taken care of. Unfortunately, bad things do happen to stray animals. This just shows a silver lining to something that could have been a sad story.

65. Wow

66. Jessica says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:29 am

weird.

67. Aweee:)

68. Becky says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

Oh, my! Hope the puppy heals. Lovely family.

69. Lisa says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

Wonder if owner is looking for this baby! It is always a risk when you leave small animals outside (puppies, kittens or small dogs) with hawks around. :( Thankfully pup seems pretty darn healthy! :)

70. Hawkeye is a much better name… lol

71. @Adriana Osio McGuirk I wish I could like your comment a million more times. Glad this story had a happy ending and lets be real the woman who found the puppy owns many more animals so i’m sure the first thing she did was take it to the vet and they clearly gave her the proper things to care for the puppy. Thank god she saw it when she did and the hawk didnt get a second chance at ending that puppies life.

72. Erica says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Aww, Can I have a puppy from God?

73. a miracle puppy!

74. Diana says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

wow what a story.

75. Petra says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

shared-it’s miraculous

76. Kara says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:44 am

This almost happened to my dog when she was a puppy!!! I ran full speed & threw myself over her & the hawk took off!

77. Chris says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:44 am

Quit arguing about the typos, etc… what’s wrong with people? Be thankful that it’s got a second chance. Bickering over stupid, useless BS; get over it!

78. Trudy says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

.. they should name it manna

79. Awesome story.

80. April says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

Talk about puppies from heaven!

81. Natalie says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oh my gosh!!!

82. Cutest story ever.

83. Why aren’t they trying to find the owner? The puppy should be with it’s mother if at all possible.

84. That baby is only about 10-14 days old. I hope she is bottle feeding it a puppy formula every couple of hours and not trying to feed it puppy food.

85. Suzanne says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

If that isn’t fate, I don’t know what is. I would keep a puppy forever if it fell from the sky into my backyard! I’m thinking a stray had her babies somewhere… At least hoping it wasn’t someone who left newborn puppies outside!

86. Sarah says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

Wow, that is a beautiful little miracle. <3

87. Sandy says on  May 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

Sweet! A puppy from God! ♥♥ ♥♥

88. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

omg people THINK YOUR MISSING THE POINT the puppy is safe now !

89. Seriously people get off the age thing. I suppose all of you that are ripping the 3 vs 8 MISTAKE have never made one yourselves. People make mistakes get over it. Plus you all are assuming that they have not taken it to a vet, but you really do not know if they have or not. The point of this story is that a puppy was dropped by a hawk (frankly the hawk I don’t think really cared how old the puppy is) and these people were in the right place to SAVE it. Not only have they saved it, they are keeping it, and loving it rather than dumping it at a shelter or rescue. So the article was changed – that simply means someone was made aware of the mistake and fixed it.
    Yeah for the puppy he has a lvoing caring home!

90. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm

This woman OBVIOUSLY rehabs animals if she has a couple of hawks in her menagerie – so OBVIOUSLY she knows it needs replacer and needs to go to the vet and needs to be fed every couple hours, etc! This is a HAPPY ending and everyone is going all “oooh I hope she knows ….” Get over yourselves and simply accept that this puppy is now safe, happy, content, and well cared for.

91. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm

What would make any of you think there is an owner? If a puppy that young was outside then it stands to reason that it was born outside and no worthwhile owner would allow their family pet to birth outside! Further, hawks can hunt up to a 20-30mi radius – do you have any idea what it would take to canvas that large of a territory to find the owner – if there is one?? No shelter would attempt it, no police force would attempt it – they would ask her if she wants to keep it and if not it would go to a shelter and most likely be destroyed because of how expensive it is to rear a baby. This puppy is far far better off no matter how you look at it to be with this family!!!!

92. Is there an update on the puppy’s welfare?

93. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I love it. Puppies from heaven! I love it when she said, when God drops a pup from the sky, you gotta keep it! Awesome!

94. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I hope somebody checks the local “junkyards” where they suspect the puppy was grabbed from. Dogs do not belong breeding and having puppies in junkyards! Rescue its poor little siblings. Spay and neuter.

95. Anonymous says on  May 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Seriously people who are all getting on about how old the pup was..obviously you dont have anything better to do than to be a big drag down on something that is so wonderful…Lighten up!

96. Joke Puppy says on  May 17, 2012 at 6:12 am

What a “special delivery” ! Hope the little pup survives the trauma of all it’s been through.

97. Anonymous says on  May 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

Just luv it it was meant to be It will be ok

98. Anonymous says on  May 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Article says 3 weeks old not 8 weeks??? They need to find the Mom and reunite this pup with it’s mother.

99. Frank says on  May 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm

So cute.
    I’m sure the owners know what their doing. For anybody criticizing them, think about yourself, if a 2-3 week old puppy fell from the sky, you would probably do the exact same thing, their doing what they can do for the puppy and it doesn’t look like your helping.

And i don’t think it will be reunited with its mother.
    People, please, do use common sense – A puppy has just fallen out of the sky. At least you should be thankful it has a loving family to care for it.

100. Anonymous says on  May 26, 2012 at 10:02 am