Recall Alert: Wellness Complete Health Super5Mix

WellPet LLC announced a voluntary recall of one recipe of Wellness® dry dog food after being notified by Diamond Pet Foods regarding the presence of Salmonella in Diamond’s Gaston, South Carolina facility.

All Wellness products are tested for Salmonella and all lots tested negative prior to shipping to customers. The company is voluntarily recalling the select products below. This voluntary recall is being done out of an abundance of caution as these products were produced at the facility that has been linked to recent recalls of Diamond brand foods due to the threat of Salmonella.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. People who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer.

The products involved in this voluntary recall are:

Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and5 oz. sample bags with best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013.

Best by dates (lot codes) can be found on the back of the bag in the bottom right-hand corner.

No other WellPet recipes, sizes or brands of food are impacted by this voluntary recall.

“As a pet parent myself, I know how important peace of mind is when it comes to the health of our pets, and that is why we require that all of our products undergo testing for Salmonella, among other things,” said Tim Callahan, chief executive officer of WellPet, the maker of Wellness® products. “All of these lots tested negative prior to being released for sale. We are voluntarily taking this additional step to further safeguard our dogs and to put our customers’ minds at ease.”

The majority of Wellness natural products for pets are produced in WellPet’s own modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Mishawaka, Indiana. WellPet no longer purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods.

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, would like replacement product or have additional questions, may call us at (877) 227-9587 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM through 6:00 PM Eastern time and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM Eastern time).

Contacts:Consumer Inquiries: (877) 227-9587

• May 5, 2012 10:16 amPosted 2 years ago
    Valerie

god here we go again !!!!!

• May 5, 2012 10:16 amPosted 2 years ago
    Bart

Wrong picture, that’s not the recalled product

May 5, 2012 10:17 amPosted 2 years ago
    Becky

I’ve got both sitting in my house. Stupid!

• May 5, 2012 10:17 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jacob

I had planned on using this food for an upcoming puppy until I’d noticed the garlic in the ingredients. Here’s another reason I’m glad to have changed my mind.

May 5, 2012 10:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    Abbe

Salmonella is NOT harmful to dogs. People handling the food can become affected but dogs digest salmonella with no issue. Thousands of people feed a raw diet which contains raw chicken which is loaded with salmonella. Perfectly safe for dogs. People handling foods which might have been contaminated by salmonella need to take precaution to disinfect hands and surfaces but your dogs are safe.

• May 5, 2012 10:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    Kate

I feed my dogs Wellness canned food. I am glad it is not on the list and that they test it before selling.

May 5, 2012 10:19 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jolie
  • May 5, 2012 10:20 amPosted 2 years ago
    Dolores

Thats why i cook for my critters!

May 5, 2012 10:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    Carol

Salmonella IS harmful to dogs. It’s bacteria.

• May 5, 2012 10:26 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Bart you’re right – but the images in the article display the formula recalled. This thumbnail is stuck in the FB cache, but if you share from the article it won’t show up. :)

• May 5, 2012 10:26 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Our mom started cooking for us too now with all these recalls

May 5, 2012 10:26 amPosted 2 years ago
    Poppy

And this brand y’s über expensive!!!!

May 5, 2012 10:27 amPosted 2 years ago
    Monet

I switched my dog from NB to Pinnacle a few months ago. They have no history of recalls.

May 5, 2012 10:28 amPosted 2 years ago
    Carol

Symptoms of salmonella in dogs are lethargy, loss of appetite and diarrhea. In more severe cases you may see blood in the dog’s stool accompanied by vomiting and fever.

Read more: How to Treat Salmonella in Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5588323_treat-salmonella-dogs.html#ixzz1u0PExhR6

May 5, 2012 10:34 amPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

Jacob Smith – garlic is actually good for your dogs, just not in large doses. http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/2009/08/09/garlic-safe-or-not/

• May 5, 2012 10:35 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jackke

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING – CANT EVEN TRUST WELLNESS -

• May 5, 2012 10:36 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jackke

W/NOTHING SAFE, WHAT IN GOD’S NAME R WE SUPPOSED 2 FEED OUR DOGS?

May 5, 2012 10:37 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jenn

Just bought Taste of the Wild for my cats and dog yesterday, going today to return it – both have the recall product code.
    My dog have never had anything but ToTW – do I change?

May 5, 2012 10:38 amPosted 2 years ago
    Liz

If you actually READ the article is shows that Wellness is recalling the one specific type of food that it had contracted with Diamond foods to produce. The food had already been tested re salmonella and it was negative but because the salmonella was at the Diamond factory Wellness is recalling the food anyway. Wellness is superb and has been safe through all the other ‘high end’ pet food recalls. I have fed Wellness to my pugs for 8 years and I cannot recommend their products highly enough. The fact that they would do this voluntary recall is just another example of how committed they are to pet safety and health. And no–I am in no way connected to them. I just love the fact that my Babies are happy and healthy on Wellness.

May 5, 2012 10:39 amPosted 2 years ago
    Patte

It’s ridiculous that safe pet foods can’t be manufactured anymore. We may high prices for the foods we think are high-quality and then have to be constantly terrified our dogs are going to get sick from eating it.

• May 5, 2012 10:39 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jacob

Michelle Leiby – I’ve done some research on the subject, but what it boils down to for ME is that I’m not risking a daily dosage of anything toxic, especially with small puppys.

May 5, 2012 10:42 amPosted 2 years ago
    Rebecca

This is so sad!!!

May 5, 2012 10:55 amPosted 2 years ago
    Nicole

I feed my springer Diamond lamb and rice. He loves it and it helped clear up his bad skin. Hope nothing is being recalled for his food.

May 5, 2012 10:59 amPosted 2 years ago
    Sheri

We feed our pets Pedigree and know they are getting essential nutrients safely.

May 7, 2012 3:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Monica

Sheri – I was feeding my boxer Pedigree too, that is what he came with when he came to live with me until I became more informed thanks to the help of a knowledgeable dog food nutritionist.

Read the ingredients!! Corn, grains, everything not very good for your dog! dogs don’t eat grains!

Switch and you will see a DRASTIC change in your dogs coat, eyes, behavior.
      Trust me, I am speaking from experience. And others have said the same thing!

It may be safe, but it isn’t essential nutrients!!!!!!!

May 5, 2012 11:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    Nicky

I just bought Wellness for my dogs for the 1st time…

• May 5, 2012 11:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Sad story for sure, I hope no one else gets sick.

May 5, 2012 11:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    Nicky

@Sheri Pedigree could be the next recalled food. We never know until it’s too late.

May 5, 2012 11:30 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jenny

Glad I don’t feed kibble!! Sheesh, this is ridiculous!

May 5, 2012 11:30 amPosted 2 years ago
    Kris
    May 5, 2012 11:39 amPosted 2 years ago
    Janet

The Wellness recall is for Large Breed Puppy ONLY with date codes best before January 9,10,&11 2013. Canidae is also affected as wells as some SKU’s of Natural Balance. Again according to our distributor this is all precautionary recalls. This was all made in one plant in SC. Hope this helps some of you out. As for TOW look at their website to see if your food is in the recall.

• May 5, 2012 11:43 amPosted 2 years ago
    Christy

Will this EVER end?

May 5, 2012 11:45 amPosted 2 years ago
    Robin
    May 5, 2012 11:46 amPosted 2 years ago
    Robin

For no apparent reason, my dog has been experiencing loose stools for the past two days. Be prepared for a long wait in contacting Diamond.

• May 5, 2012 11:47 amPosted 2 years ago
    Gerda

Liebe Monika, alle Tiere sind spitze.

• May 5, 2012 11:47 amPosted 2 years ago
    Gerda

besonders der Frosch und die Katze.

May 5, 2012 11:50 amPosted 2 years ago
    Elaine

This place should be shut down

• May 5, 2012 11:51 amPosted 2 years ago
    Lee

Pedigree is garbage…sorry but the ingredients are beyond scary.

May 7, 2012 3:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Monica

Your so right Lee. I know this first hand. I was feeding this to my boxer when he came to live with me. His coat was full and gas!!!!!!!! Wow!

I was told by a canine nutritionist that it is one of the worse dog foods out there – people need to read the ingredients list first! Get informed!

Corn and other grains are not good for you dog! You will spend more for a better dog food but it is so worth it.

My friend has a 15 year old yorkie and he switched from Pedigree to Buffalo Blue (not pushing BB but it is one of the better ones) and OMG! You wouldn’t believe the change in him! He said he has more pep and his fur which was thininng because of his age is so much better.

I saw the change in my dog but seeing this in an older dog was far more proof to me than anything!

May 7, 2012 3:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
        Monica

That was suppose to say “his coat was dull” not full! Sorry!

May 5, 2012 11:59 amPosted 2 years ago
    Carol

Mine has a recall. I’m getting a refund. And I am switching to another food not made by Diamond. And yes, Pedigree has so many fillers that are obstructing the bowls of our pets and putting them into renal failure! Purina too.

May 5, 2012 11:59 amPosted 2 years ago
    Catherine

It’s what happens when good companies sell out for money… I’ve seen so many good foods turn to junk over the years. It’s really sad. I’ll stick with my Fromm.

May 5, 2012 12:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carol

Yes, and it is all because of Procter and Gamble! They have made really good food junk and harmful!

May 5, 2012 12:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Katherine

High end dog food producers are literally making a fortune off the promise that their food is healthier, produced carefully & lovingly..then we find that they outsource to mega producers like Diamond Foods. I dumped Wellness after the last fiasco, but Natural Balance..and the others..flat out betrayal.

May 5, 2012 12:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tabitha

I’ve feed my pet salmonella ridden food before I fed it Pedigree!

May 5, 2012 1:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Samantha

We stopped feeding out kitties that about a year ago. Thank goodness!

May 5, 2012 1:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

Most dog food is disgusting! Pedigree and Purina are the worst! It’s saw dust and road kill. Please stop giving your beloved pets this crap either cook for them or go to a raw diet. It’s cheaper with less trips to the vet.

May 5, 2012 1:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

Even though the label says made in the USA – a certain percentage can still be imported and be put in our dogs and cats food. Only a certain percentage of ingredients can still be considered made in the USA – I know this for a fact

May 5, 2012 4:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diana

I feed Acana made by Champion they have their own plant & monitor only FRESH ingredients that go in it

May 5, 2012 4:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diana

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/ List of all recalls so far & Diamond has a lot listed

May 5, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joanne

Wellness??!!!?? I thought they used”human grade?” Thanks for the posting.