New Laws Require Dogs to Be Restrained in Vehicles

Earlier this week USA Today published an article on new state laws requiring pets to be restrained when riding in vehicles. No doubt, last year’s pet travel survey by AAA and Kurgo is part of the reason. The results of the survey were distressing:

• 56% of respondents had driven with their dog in a vehicle at least once per month over the past year.
    • Only 16% of owners who had driven with their pet used some form of restraint for the dog in the vehicle.

According to the American Pet Products Association, there are 78 million dogs in US households. So, if 56% of those 78 million dogs are going for a ride at least once a month … that’s 43,680,000 dogs traveling in vehicles. And, only 16% are buckled up? That means 36,691,200 dogs’ lives are being put at risk every month.

Dog in Car

But it gets better … more than four out of five people (83%) responding to the survey agreed that having an unrestrained dog in a moving car can be dangerous. That seems to be the impetus for laws being applied to pets in vehicles.

Arizona, Connecticut and Maine – distracted-driving laws can be used to charge drivers with pets on their laps.

Hawaii – explicitly forbids drivers from holding a pet on their lap.

New Jersey - a NJSPCA officer can stop a driver they believe is improperly transporting an animal. Tickets range from $250 to $1,000 per offense, and a driver can face a disorderly person’s offense under animal-cruelty laws.

Rhode Island – Democratic State Rep. Peter Palumbo has proposed legislation that would make having a dog in your lap a distracted-driving violation.

Ty and Buster in Kurgo

We're Ready to Roll!

The goal of these states is not to save the lives of our pets … though it will be a nice side effect. The main focus of the legislation is to protect humans lives – the pet owners’ and everyone else on the road. Unrestrained pets can become a distraction. Distractions cause accidents. In a collision at 50 mph, an unrestrained 10-pound dog will hit you with about 500 pounds of force – more than enough to do serious damage to you and the dog. Just imagine the kind of force a dog Buster’s size would inflict!

We have laws that require us to wear seat belts and ensure our children are properly restrained in the car. There are laws to protect us from drunk drivers and people who text, apply make-up, or talking on the phone while driving. Is the requirement that we buckle up our pets really too much to ask?

What do you think? Would you support a pet restraint law in your state?

Planning a pet friendly trip of your own? We’ll make it easy:
Pet Friendly Hotels | Pet Friendly Destinations | Pet Friendly Activities

• June 7, 2012 10:03 amPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

Well, crap. I hope they don’t pass that here. I take all of the seats out of my van for the greyhounds to just lay down. That will be a royal pain in the a$$ if they do that.

June 7, 2012 8:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Michelle I agree with you 100%. government needs to quit legislating every area of our lives and stop making laws that most people can’t possibly abide by like this stupid proposal.

June 8, 2012 7:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
        Anonymous

Is also to protect the dogs in case of an accident where they can fly out of the car. I treat my dog as i treat my child
        So why not for them to be protected too!

June 28, 2013 10:19 pmPosted 1 year ago
        Anonymous

To require that every dog be restrained is a bit much but I think it should be illegal to have them on your lap or in the bed of a pick up. I tried it once & found it difficult to use the steering wheel properly & saw that it could definitely cause an accident. My 15 pound dog lays quietly on the passenger seat & even before I learned of this law I planned on getting a restraint cuz I don’t want him getting hurt if I stop short.

June 7, 2012 10:39 amPosted 2 years ago
    SarahKate

Distracted driving causes so many horrible accidents and deaths! The people who are against properly safe methods of transporting animals are probably the same ones who think children shouldn’t be required to be in safety seats too. It’s the old “my property I can do what I want with it” “I’m American don’t mess with my freedom” attitudes.

I just wish that the laws and law enforcement would pay more serious attention to the terrible problem so widespread of dogs left in cars on even warm days much less hot days. It can’t be that people don’t know by now what can happen to a live creature stuck in a car that quickly becomes a lethal oven even eventually in outdoor temperatures as low as 72 degrees if it’s sitting in the sun – there’s just too much publicity about the problem, and if they know and are doing it anyway it’s deliberate cruelty. But it’s far easier for law enforcement to glance over at a car at a stoplight (for example) and peek to see if the dog is crated or in a dog seat belt and write a fast ticket that gains the city or county immediate revenue than it is to respond to an urgent call about a dog in distress in a hot car, break open the car, cite the owner if one shows up, arrange for transport of the dog to emergency vet care and the car to be towed, then piles and piles AND PILES of paperwork to be completed. Doggone that kind of stuff just gets too much in the way of coffee and donut time.

June 9, 2012 2:15 amPosted 2 years ago
      mab

Just heard on the radio about a 10 mo. old baby rescued from a locked car in a mall parking lot. When I lived in Carolina 10+ years ago there were many stories in the news about kids left in cars, including some that died in the summer. If some people can forget, or think it will be fine, their children, why would we expect different for their dogs?

June 7, 2012 10:46 amPosted 2 years ago
    Rox

I worked for many years with attorneys representing people badly injured in car accidents-and most of the people causing the accidents were distracted drivers doing incredibly stupid things! Driving a car is a privilege not a constitutionally granted American “right” and to earn that privilege means to transport yourself and your passengers, two- or four-footed, safely while paying attention to others on the road who are or should be doing the same thing – paying attention to the task at hand which is or should be DRIVING SAFELY. Anything that gets in the way of paying attention at the wheel is NOT a good thing. Do the whiners who are against safe driving laws not get that a loose animal (or child for that matter) in a vehicle can become a projectile? DO YOU KNOW WHAT AN ANIMAL THAT GOES THROUGH A WINDSHIELD LOOKS LIKE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF SAID WINDSHIELD??

June 7, 2012 12:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

A claim such as “36 million dogs’ lives are at risk” every month is an outright lie, and a hysterical one at that. That claim automatically assumes that there is a significant accident risk to begin with. Suppose there were only a 1 in 1000 risk of a bad auto accident every time you traveled with your dog. In that case, only 36,000 dogs’ lives would be at risk every month. I think it’s gross and disgusting the way people with an extremist agenda lie and manipulate phony statistics to push through laws that destroy our freedoms. If the claim of 36 million dogs being in jeopardy were true, we’d see a bloodbath of dead dogs on the roads of America, which is obviously not the case at all.

Doesn’t anyone think that it’s a bit funny that New Jersey doesn’t even require a HUMAN in the back seat to wear a seat belt, but a dog has to?

June 8, 2012 7:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Hmmm? Thats Interesting no sit belt for back passengers but yes for dogs….
      I agree with this doggie law is to protect them from bad drivers out there!
      All it matter is that laws are trying to be strict about animals bc all this ignorance abuse to them so lets support so Ignorant ppl can see that animals are not toys and take it more serious!
      For God sake there are sO many animals mistreated everyday! ;'(

• June 7, 2012 7:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shelby

This law was just put into effect in British Columbia, Canada. At first I was a bit annoyed, but now that I have experienced distraction free driving, with each I. Their seatbelt, I am a huge fan. We don’t usually take our dogs in the vehicle in the summer months anyway, as we don’t want to risk their lives to overheating while waiting for us in the vehicle. We used to bring them everywhere and would leave the car running with the air conditioning on, until there were two incidents in our area where the air conditioning failed and the dogs died.

A little bit of safety doesn’t hurt, in fact, in the long run, it does the exact opposite.

June 8, 2012 11:02 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jo

“That which governs least governs best…” This is nonsense power-bullying.

It’s time we people become the decision making process instead of allowing power-grabbing psychopaths dictate all aspects of our lives. As responsible loving pet owners, it’s only common sense that we must ensure the safety of our companion animals in our vehicles and those of others on the road.

We certainly don’t need “big brother” telling us how to conduct our pets inside our private vehicles on the roads….this is an invasion of privacy and rights.

June 8, 2012 3:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Donna A.

Jo,
      This law is NOT for the responsible pet owner. It is for all the ignorant people that think nothing of riding with their dog in the back of a pick up truck unrestrained, riding with their “lap” dog in their lap doing 65 mph down the hwy, letting their dog run free all over the car, distracting the driver, etc…
      If you are already buckling up your pup then what is the problem with this law?
      If children are not allowed to ride unrestrained then why should a pet be? Have you seen a dog that has gone through the windshield to it’s death? It is not a pretty sight.

June 28, 2013 10:51 pmPosted 1 year ago
        Anonymous

I once was driving down the highway when I saw a car on the shoulder & a woman frantic in the middle of the highway. Then I noticed a medium-sized dog laying stiff in the road on its back. I don’t know how it happened, but perhaps the dog had its paws near the window button & accidentally opened it & fell out. It could have happened from the back seat where driver didn’t have enough time to react. Anyway, I was heartbroken for her. I don’t know if the dog survived or not. If nothing else, it’s a case for locking the back windows for your dog!

May 25, 2014 5:27 pmPosted 6 months ago
        Lauren

Actually, look at the penalties for things in NJ…… In Michigan, it’s $25 fine for leaving your pet in a vehicle unattented. In NJ, it’s $250 to $1000.

It’s all about money and that’s basically it. A way to get money from the public and make it as if they have your best interests at heart. Meanwhile, you can go to PA right next door and have lower taxes, lower fines, and a more affordable way of life.

The government doesn’t seem to be able to pay for it’s entitlements so this is what usually ends up coming about. There, it was a $175 fine per document that you didn’t have if you were pulled over. If you didn’t have a license, registration, and insurance card, you got $515 in one shot. If you were in a “safety corridor”, it was doubled.

It’s all about money.

• June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nancy

I do!

• June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jeanette

I’d better get a car seat for my little one!

June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Alison

I don’t own a car, so no. But when I rent a car my pooch is crated.

• June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christie

Yup, law or not I don’t want a flying dog in the car – safest for them

• June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Scott

Stupid!

June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura

Not unless it’s bad weather. Then, I’m a nervous mama and my lab/shep gets seat belted in.

June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda

I did once til she got tangled up and never did after. It’s soo unnatural and bizarre.

June 8, 2012 4:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Robin

I’m being honest, YES I do!

June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joyce

I do 8-)

June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    John

June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lilia

I have both of mine buckled up.. I want them to be just as save as I am in the car.. I love my babies..

February 6, 2014 1:56 pmPosted 10 months ago
      Anonymous

They found none of the doggie seat beats worked in crashes total crap, to make money….If they worked that would be great, but they are selling them just to make money not keep dogs safe!

• June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sarah

we have a harness for one that gets buckled in and a leash that buckles for the other if they are in the back seat. I they are int eh way back of the jeep then they are tethered with leashes to the tie downs int eh back. I will not drive with my dog in the front seat or untethered it is too dangerous

June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nancy

I did when my pup was 20 lbs. Hes 150. Hard to do

June 8, 2012 4:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Barbara

yes! in a car seat with a harness!

June 8, 2012 4:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

good idea, I have a seat belt strap for my puppy dog… does anyone know if it will be law soon in the UK???

• June 8, 2012 4:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    MsStretch

We carry our Min Pins in crates. Terrified of getting into an accident, us being incapacitated and my babies running the streets and getting killed.

June 8, 2012 4:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nancy

I always do…

• June 8, 2012 4:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Katina

We haven’t, but we are going to. What is the best belt?

June 8, 2012 4:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angel

I don’t, because I have a mastiff and a st bernard, so I fold down the 3rd row of seats and I have them lay in the back. When the st bernard was a baby I taught her to lay down when the car was moving, now she knows to automatically, the mastiff is learning the same way.

June 8, 2012 4:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rachel

No, I have three large dogs (70+) and a baby in a carseat. Where am I supposed to put them?

June 8, 2012 4:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

I am totally for restricting dogs from drivers laps and I have also wondered how many dogs under 60lbs have been seriously hurt or killed by airbags. If you don’t put your children in the front seat because of airbags why put a dog or cat?

• June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Chris

I do not. Chase lies down in the back seat or sticks his out of the window in the back seat. The law say its specifically tailored to dogs like the one in the picture who sit on drivers laps and could potentially cause a distraction. If the dog is in the car he’s in the backseat and unless he loses about 45 of his 60 pounds he won’t have enough room to jump out. Plus and this is me just being honest, my dog likes rides in the car, which helps when he needs to go in the car, if I force him down, something that NEVER happens in the house, he’s going to hate the car.

• June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debbie

yes ancol car harness for both of them!!

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anne

No. The strap on the car harness I bought did not seem long enough for my greyhound and it freaked both of us out. I do use a back-seat hammock.

• June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Grace

I am so glad to hear this, I ALWAYS crate my pets when in the car for their safety.

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jackie

No I don’t ….but there should be serious laws concerning letting your dog ride on your lap…talk about beoing on a cell phone ha what a distraction having a dog on your lap is!!!!!!! Also letting them ride hanging out of the window not only is it dangerous for the pet but dangerous for other drivers on the road in case the pet God forbid jumps out…it is also a distraction

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Helen

I don’t, my two bigger dogs lay down in the back of my suv and my little dog lays on the floor of the passenger seat or in the passenger’s lap. I tried the harness with one of my big dogs but he panicked and broke it.

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Marie Maria

Yes I do! :)

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathy

I always buckle up my furry kids..so much safer and less distracting

June 8, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Stephanie

no because I would be distracted by saving their lives because theyd get tangled & hang themselves in the belts! Ugh*

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Felecia

Yes, yes, yes. Pets can be deadly missiles flying through a car or hitting the back of seats. They can fall out of convertibles or PU with just one quick stomp of the brake, not only killing them, but flying through the windshield of vehicles following behind. They can run from the accident, hurt or scared and be missing for days. They may return to the scene after all humans are gone, and wait until they are noticed or starve to death. Owners who do not contain their dogs in a vehicle, do not really cherish them.

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Stefanie

When you have 4+ large dogs that are in a seatless ride just for them, yes too much to ask.

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

Good lord – no way! I have 2 Saint Bernards, a Mastiff, and a GSP. They all lay on the floor behind the front seats – and stay that way while the car is moving!

• June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Crys

I sure do….my dogs are buckled in or crated.

• June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Yvonne

yes we do

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Candy

I believe these laws are more for the safety of the passengers than the animals.

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Elizabeth

They are still looking for 2 fosters here that someone picked up and then immediately was in a wreck.

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kelly

I am all for it.. but honestly… if they are deemed “luggage or property” under the law.. then we also need to change that. Its dangerous to have a child on your lap.. its dangerous for both!

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Donna

I always strap my Labrador in!

• June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Taylor

always… he has a strap that attaches to his harness and it straps to the seatbelt. super easy and keeps him safe

June 8, 2012 4:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Veronica

my pet is buckled in the car. In our small truck they have little “cubby” areas that they fit neatly into because there’s no seats in the area they go into. I’ve been in two car accidents with my dogs in my car and both times they were buckled in.

June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Hilary

Sometimes we use a dog guard, but on the occasions when we need to park with the dogs in the car, I want them to have access to all parts of the car then. I want to go for harness and seat-belt option, but iut’s hard to find one that really works for the more agile dogs that can wriggle out of harnesses. I have heard recommendations for one particular type, but it is pricey, so we are saving up (and hope I can find out what it’s called again once the funds are available).

June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Reetta

Yes I do, always, for their own safety.

June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Danielle

Our two 120 pound German Shepherds don’t even fit in a seat and driving for 5 hours at a time… Just don’t know how. Plus we already have two cats in carriers as well in the car ride too.

• June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

hes in the boot with a bar up . was in a cage he prefers the cage so may put back in

June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nancy

If you do, it’s the best thing for them. Careful when you choose one. Make sure they can’t become twisted. Get the full harness that has padding or fleece on the chest strap and doesn’t give much room for them to become tangled…. If my memory is correct WV is starting such a law.

• June 8, 2012 4:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cynthia

NO I don’t and NO I won’t …this is beyond ridiculous…all the issues we have in this country and the legislature is working on laws to restrain dogs???…they have nothing better to worry about??? SERIOUSLY???our tax dollars at work…I should have such a job…geez!

June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

yes, I have a harness with a seat belt buckle on it so it clicks right in. keeps her and me safe. I also slip the car seatbelt thru the cat carrier handle and cinch it tight so the carrier doesn’t go flying if I have to hit the brakes.

• June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cj

I can’t stand this crap, use your common sense don’t put your pets on your lap while you are driving. My furkids lay on the back seat or floor. Of course I will be the one to get stopped so NJ can increase their revenue.

June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kimberly

I wish they would focus more on drivers of pickups who put their dog(s) in the bed of the truck…

June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I think its kinda off that theres a 1000.00 fine for a pet not being in a seat beat but only a 65.00 fine for a human.

• June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Catherine

Ever since my car accident last year I do! I was also told by a Paramedic that they often see injuries to drivers/passengers caused by unrestrained pets. So it is beneficial to all to harness Fido in:)

June 8, 2012 4:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

I have a harness that clips into seat belt,best 12 dollars ever paid!

June 8, 2012 4:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sooz

I had to struggle to find a workable solution but I agreed with everyone that my miniature dachshund in my lap wasn’t safe, no matter how cute he is and how “loved” I feel. What clinched it for me was hearing from a friend how “explosive” the air bag was, when she rear-ended someone. Max would’ve been killed on the spot. I couldn’t figure out the wire pet barriers, so I have a harness that attaches like a leash to the seatbelt. Our corgi, however, doesn’t ever move from the “pit” behind the driver, on the floor, so I figured he was safe.

June 8, 2012 4:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda

Yep… ever since she jumped out the window after a squirrel!!!

June 22, 2013 10:04 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

my dog did the same thing now he is always restrained. I love him too much to have that happen on a busy street we were lucky no one was on the road at that time.

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Veronika

Our dog always rides in his crate!!

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ann

Mine ALWAYS ride in crates in the car.

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I don’t understand why anyone would think it’s “stupid” to buckle of up their dog. What’s “stupid” about potentially saving their lives and also avoiding harm to others in the car when said dog becomes a moving projectile in an accident? Honestly, many years ago I had “thought” that the idea was a good one, but always told myself “I am only going a few blocks to the park”. Then I heard from someone who had recently lost their beloved lab in a minor (for her) car accident. The poor dog was thrown through the windshield and died on scene. She was traumatized from the event, and from then on, I swore I would not travel any other way.
    It would not cross our minds to allow a child to roam free in car, so why is it ok for dogs? Yes, I get that dogs are not children, and some people do not value the lives of their dogs as I do, and others as well, but that does NOT mean that they do not deserve basic common sense safety. With safety harnesses, dogs can still sit up, lie down, stand, etc. so you are not taking away their “fun.”

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Fran

Let’s put a ban on drinking coffee or tea or eating. Smoking has already been done. Cell phone or texting has been done. Let’s see what else is there? Talking? farting? Giving the finger? Someone will come up with something I am sure.

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nicole

Yes yes absolutely yes. When I adopted my staffy I loved taking her for rides. With all the other excited purchases I made I bought her a seat belt but never used it… Until one day we were driving and a car in the opposite side if the road swerved at us, causing me to break and swerve, and I watched her poor puppy body slam into my glovebox. Everyone was ok but I WILL NEVER put her thru that again. Yes, your shihtzu is cute in your lap, but please buckle your pets!! Keep them alive!

June 8, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Elizabeth

No, but I never let them ride in the front seat. I do slam the flat leash in the door, or secure it to the head rest inside so they have some limited movement.

June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pamela

All pets should be crated or buckled in in the car….even the big ones. Look into harnesses for the big ones please!

June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lydia

I’m ok with pets being safe. But when people are killing and hurting and using kittens as bait to attract sharks not much is being done about that. I think they need to focus more on protecting them with better laws so that people would stop hurting and killing our beautiful animals.

• June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pamela

We bought vehicles that both dogs can ride comfortably in… A Honda Pilot and a Nissan Cube. Having said this, and given the understanding that they ride in the back with the back seats down, here is what we do. The entire back compartment is lined in pillows covered by quilts. There is a barrier that keeps them from coming into the driver’s compartment (reasonably priced at most pet supply stores) that is covered the same way. they are two big greyhounds and in spite of one minor accident that was the other driver’s fault they were fine. I do most vacation driving and i am cautious anytime i am driving. So far so good.

June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nicole

Petco has a cheap one-step belt, its $20.

• June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christina

we crate

June 8, 2012 4:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Greg

Great Idea….

June 8, 2012 4:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Greg

I wish that they would do that here in Wa State

June 8, 2012 4:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judit

I sure do and I’m not ashamed to admit it!! It is the “Easy Rider” and clips right into the back seat.

June 8, 2012 4:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kymberleigh

I sure do, i have a pet smart harness that has a seat belt clip right on it, i wouldnt even think of taking my dog in the car with out it, imagine if i had to hit the breaks fast, the poor dog goes flying and possible gets injured, to me its just common sense….(this is just my opinion)

June 8, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anne

I’d better go to Petsmart and get a dog-seat belt.

• June 8, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jill

Best law ever! In the dog van, my dogs are crated. In my sedan, they are seat-belted.. Always, no excuses!

June 8, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Hilary

Driving with a dog on your lap is really daft! I have driven with a dog on the front passenger seat, but I wouldn’t do it again, even with a dog as well behaved as the one I had then. It’s one of those things that, with hindsight, you realise what a good idea it WASN’T! Our dogs sit on the back seat, and they stay put there, but harness-and-seatbelt would be wiser.

June 8, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura

I do. On the road that goes by my parents’ house in GA there was a bad accident several years ago. The driver of one car had a small dog that was not restrained. She jumped into the driver’s lap and caused her to veer into the next lane and hit another car head on. Everyone except one passenger in the other car died, even the dog. Ever since then I NEVER travel with a dog unless they are tied in, no matter how well they ride. It only takes one time.

June 8, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

No disrespect intended to anyone, but Teaching a dog to lie down in the car is great, but it does nothing to provide safety in the event of an accident? ” At speeds of approximately 60km/hour an unrestrained pet can become a projectile flying through your car with the force of 20 times its weight. Obviously this is not good for your pet, but it is also extremely unsafe for all the human occupants of the car.”

June 8, 2012 4:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debora

no i do not harness my dogs in, i put them in their crates

• June 8, 2012 4:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mark

CASH grab…thats all it is.

June 8, 2012 4:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mary

I used to, but now with two dogs and a carseat, it’s much harder. I’d have to upsize to a van or SUV.

June 8, 2012 4:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jan

We crate… always.

June 8, 2012 4:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Minxsou

I have an harness for my dog when he sits in the back for his own safety and he has a cosy crate with blanket pillow padding and all when he can lay and rest when we back from long walk in the trunk all for his comfort I wouldn’t want him to,get hurt in case of accident !I have a friend whooshed to keep her 3 little dogs on her lap while driving and they tend to get really exited I told her to get some harnesses for them as I thought she putting her life ,her dogs and others in danger she got some and is much hap

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Gaby

I have a “dog car seat” where he’s buckled up and safe ;D

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Minxsou

Happier and safer driving now !

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda

lisa, chill. Most small dogs lay in the foot area in the backseat. I cannot speak for everyone else, but my dog would flip out and try even harder to get out of a seatbelt than lay down and fall asleep. She’s well trained in staying out from the front, and on the seat. Belts can cause more harm than good. Imagine, car accident. You, fine. Dog, back’s broken from a t bone collision. HMMMMMMMMMM

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Casey R.

I always get buckled up!

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jack

Good old dirty jerz. If it was for the benifit of the animal than great but it’s only to increase revenue.

June 8, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dave

So putting them on the roof rack would be wrong?? JOKING. I tried to with my 65 pound dog. But he would worm out of it and lay down instead.

• June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Becky

What if you strap the crate to the top of the car like Mitt did?

June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eve

YES always!!! My brother in law is a fire fighter and I have heard so many horrific stories of people being killed in accidents with no seat belt…can you imagine how easy it would be for a small dog to fly through a windshield??? I also had a friend who’s dog was killed when thrown out of the back of a truck during an accident.

June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lois

Yes I do buckle up my dogs with harnesses and a seat belts and they are very good about it. I haven’t had to worry about stopping quickly nor have I been distracted by a fussy dog. I make sure humans are buckled in my vehicle and animals are just as important to me.

June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

The title of this article is incredibly misleading. None of the actual laws or proposals mentioned require you to buckle your dog up, just to ensure that the dog is not on the driver’s lap or otherwise distracting the driver. My dog used to ride on the passengers lap or seat while driving, and now that we have two dogs they both ride in the back seat. They are not a distraction in the slightest and sit quietly looking out the window or lay down during car rides. I don’t see how I would have to change a thing. What a bunch of hyperbole!

• June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dawn

Heck ya, pets aren’t any less important than children (or adults)

June 8, 2012 4:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mary

Another issue with front-seat dogs? Your air bag will kill your dog if it goes off in an otherwise minor accident.

June 8, 2012 4:51 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Divina

That’s why we got a minivan. It’s the only thing that allows us to take our three dogs and three kids out safely.

June 8, 2012 4:51 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kathy

Veronika Makuch: Really, in the trunk? That does not seem safe at all. What if you are rear ended? I don’t like thinking of them in the trunk.