Pedigree Dog Food Recall Announced

Today, Mars Petcare US announced a voluntary recall of a limited range of three varieties of PEDIGREE® weight management canned dog food products due to a potential choking risk.

Affected product may contain small pieces of blue plastic, which entered the food during the production process. The source of the plastic has been identified and the issue resolved. We encourage consumers who have purchased affected product to discard the food or return it to the retailer for a full refund or exchange. While a small number of consumers have reported finding the plastic pieces, we have not received any reports of injury or illness associated with the affected product. The lot codes indicated below should not be sold or consumed.

Affected product was distributed to retail customers throughout the United States. Mars Petcare US is working with all of our distributors and retail customers to ensure that the recalled products are no longer sold and are removed from inventory.

Recalled Pet Food

Only cans of PEDIGREE® weight management canned dog food varieties with the production codes shown below are included in this voluntary recall. Each product will have a lot code printed on the end of the can that begins with 209, 210, 211 or 212 and a Best Before date that falls between 2/24/2014 and 3/23/2014.

Related posts

June 30, 2012 5:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judi

Thank-you..I don’t use but WILL share!!!

• June 30, 2012 5:19 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sharon

good job my dog doesent eat that shit

• June 30, 2012 5:19 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Scott

thanks for posting this!

June 30, 2012 5:19 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Emma

shared x

June 30, 2012 5:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Toby

My old bull terrier came from the breeder on that shit. We got her off it after a 24 hour fast and just put her on a new food.

June 30, 2012 5:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Holly

pedigree is full of BIPRODUCTS anyway. Who wants to feed thier dog a food that is junk compared to a wholesome natural or premium NONBIPRODUCT food. these animals are our friends and family members try switching from pedigree altogether!

June 30, 2012 5:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cleo

swallowed in one piece, it’s definatly a choking risk. ;)

June 30, 2012 5:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Holly

I cook up some eggs and rice as a treat but feed my jack russell Nutro, its alot healthier than pedigree. Blue and Avacado brands are great ones too!

June 30, 2012 5:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Terry

so true Holly

June 30, 2012 5:25 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mila

Linda, tienes perro?

June 30, 2012 5:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carl

Try “blue”, dogs might like it.

• June 30, 2012 5:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I cook my dog my ouw food of chicken, rice or oats egss and either carrots or peas. I mix it with blue dry dog food. So tired of dog food recalls. Lets get real and take a stand.

June 30, 2012 5:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carl

Try “Blue”, dogs might like it.

June 30, 2012 5:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    June

This food is junk..lol

June 30, 2012 5:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    John

I feed my dogs unprocessed food 100% pure protein I feed them raw and my dogs have never looked better its cheaper then kibble as well. Why not feed your dog what it was suppose to eat what its teeth was designed to eat?

June 30, 2012 5:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pouya

canned food is not good .. especially for smaller dogs with sensitive stomachs … Our little Maltese enjoys his Royal Canin Gastrointestinal … costs a lot but who cares … dogs come before us :)

June 30, 2012 9:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Kim

Actually, canned food IS good, if the RIGHT food is given. ESPECIALLY for the smaller breed dogs prone to urinary problems. I happen to do a mixture of dry and soft because shih tzu’s are prone to urinary problems and stones. (Add’s more water to the diet)

July 3, 2012 12:49 amPosted 2 years ago
        donna

Canned dog food is a carcinogenic- will never feed ANY of my pets canned food, having owned all breeds over the years, found home made is the best food for any dog.

June 30, 2012 5:28 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angela

Would never feed my dog that crap. Full of a bunch of nastiness…like by products of dead animal carcasses. I feed my babies EVO…and I can pronounce every ingredient on the label. That kinda cheap food will make even the tiniest dog poop land mines! The dogs are probably choking on it cuz it tastes like crap!

June 30, 2012 5:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Annette

krass

June 30, 2012 5:31 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jaye

That’s just great. It’s what I feed my dog. Guess we will be changing his diet.

• June 30, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Warren

weight managment, feed em plastic, low cal high fibre shit…. As If, Pasta and Mince for my kids.

June 30, 2012 5:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amy

glad i never fed them that crap.

June 30, 2012 5:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    ChaCha

So glad I got smart about dog food….I don’t ever feed them crap food like Pedigree. Cook allot for them… they are going on 15 years.

• June 30, 2012 5:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nate

No one who loves their dog should be feeding them this crap anyway. Do a little research before you say you love your dog!

June 30, 2012 5:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shonda

Thanks for posting!

June 30, 2012 5:34 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cathy

I tried Blue but my baby doesn’t like it. Now back to Nutro.

July 7, 2012 12:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Have you tried Dr Gary’s Best Breed. Out
      Of Findlay OH. Small trust worthy company.
      Great food

June 30, 2012 5:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nok

my dogs eat home cook food with rice :)

June 30, 2012 5:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shonda

Love reading the posts from pious assholes who call this food “shit”. Just for the record, there are some out there who can’t afford the gourmet dog food du jour & you are making yourself look like a jerk when you insult them.

June 30, 2012 5:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Candy

My dog who is 11, has been eating only Purina Dog Chow since he was a pup. Never had an issue.

June 30, 2012 5:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bleu

our dogs doesnt like pedigree taste so we feed them cesar brand, thats the one they love to eat daily :-)

• June 30, 2012 5:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Debra

…at least they’re being responsible and doing a recall…I found a ‘chunk’ of metal and ‘plastic bits’ in a couple cans of another brand (begins with ‘E’) and after notifying the company about this they simply said I was welcome to “exchange” the cans!…have never trusted, or bought, this product since!

• June 30, 2012 5:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Каспиан

Pedigree dog food is garbage.

• June 30, 2012 5:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michelle

I would never feed this rubbish to my dogs. It’s like feeding McDonald’s to my children!

June 30, 2012 5:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    ChaCha

Shonda… I think we just want what’s best for our dogs and Pedigree and other “cheap” brands are not good for animals at all. So like myself… I will travel about 15-20 just to by the BEST food for them. We have a Petclub about 1 1/2 miles away… only thing I buy there is the cat liter. And I also cook for them.

June 30, 2012 5:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Shonda

And yet more pious buttheads feel the need to chime in and try to make others feel bad about their choices.

• June 30, 2012 5:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Krista

My dogs eat raw, but I would NEVER tell someone they don’t love their pet because of what brand of food they feed it. It’s judgemental and ridiculous. Not to mention it makes EVERY animal advocate look bad.

June 30, 2012 5:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura

My mother cooks for her 2 maltese….my sister and brother and me got fast food lol

June 30, 2012 5:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Steve

its full of crap anyway.

June 30, 2012 5:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
    ChaCha

LOL… ok :)

• June 30, 2012 5:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michele

Dogs in shelters are surviving because of Pedigree type dog foods…it may not be for you and your pup but I think we should ease up a bit…I would rather someone feed there dog pedigree or cheaper dog food then see more post of dogs starved to death…seriously!

June 30, 2012 5:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

Thank-you for posting. My huskies ate 1/2 case of this stuff. Way too many recalls. Back to homeade dog chow for my pups. They have lost a customer…..

• June 30, 2012 5:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Michele

My kids ate McDonalds and survived…honestly…wtf does that have to do with this post about a recall!

• June 30, 2012 6:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Letta

US ONLY according to website.

June 30, 2012 6:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sheleen

All made in China, of course

• June 30, 2012 6:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Darlene

Thank you for the notice of warning.

• June 30, 2012 6:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lucienne

Que mancada essa com a ração(até bem cara) dos cachorros.Até isso pra complicar a vida da genet e dos animais.Realmente a ração NUTRO é a melhor que existe faz anos mas aqui no Brasil é absurdamente cara,impossivel um salario de pessoas normais poder comprar,so se for para cão de politicos!!!

• June 30, 2012 6:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mila

Not the best dog food to feed your best friends even without a recall!

June 30, 2012 6:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susanne

Crappy food anyway. Our pooches deserve better, so do the shelter dogs that have to eat that stuff.

June 30, 2012 9:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Kim

Are you going to supply the shelters with the better quality foods then?

June 30, 2012 6:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carolyn

Thank you for sharing this message. This is what my dogs eat and I just pulled two cans to trash.

• June 30, 2012 6:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Scotia

How are these guys still in business? There are scares & negative comments about the low level of actualt meat content & high levels of mulch almost every year!

• June 30, 2012 6:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anita

Haha my dog used to chew up anything plastic she could find, I doubt there is anything she would choke on!

June 30, 2012 9:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jan

Pedigree does great work for shelter dogs. At least they did a recall. Other companies have not when there have been issues. We all love our animals and do the best we can to take care of them.

June 30, 2012 10:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    SHAE

I also feed my dogs raw. They love it and go after it like they never did processed dog food. They get water from their raw food so don’t drink as much water. Their coats look much better and the vet said on last check up they had the best teeth he’d seen on 3 and 4 yr olds! Dogs are carnivores, feed them what they need!

July 1, 2012 12:07 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Despite their descent from wolves and classification as Carnivora, dogs are variously described in scholarly and other writings as carnivores[139][140] or omnivores.[3][141][142][143] Unlike obligate carnivores, such as the cat family with its shorter small intestine, dogs can adapt to a wide-ranging diet, and are not dependent on meat-specific protein nor a very high level of protein in order to fulfill their basic dietary requirements. Dogs will healthily digest a variety of foods, including vegetables and grains, and can consume a large proportion of these in their diet.[3]

June 30, 2012 10:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

We feed only Life’s Healthy Pet Food (Life’s Abundance). Excellent and extremely healthy. Love that it arrives on my doorstep. They make it in small batches so it is a lot fresher than commercially made food.

July 1, 2012 12:24 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

We feed our dogs Natures select bit is made in Texas and all ingredient are from USA. Our dogs have great coats and skin. It is also delivered by a local distributor who gets to know you and your pets. I am disabled and the man brings the food and puts it directly in our bin. I can’t carry a 50 lb bag. It’s not expensive and the ingredients are the same as the “premium” foods.

July 1, 2012 11:12 amPosted 2 years ago
    Dave S

Our new addition, a Welsh Terrorist puppy, eats only the best but would that stuff too as well as the plastic and the can!

July 4, 2012 11:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    ed.

a few years back i was making a pick-up at a pedigree/mars facility in vernon ca. and the equipment i was picking up was in a small office on the second floor overlooking the mixing machines. and the smell coming out of those mixing machines reeked. I was gagging the whole time I was there. I had to wear a mask . honestly it smell like dead animals.