Airline Employees Abuse Disabled Veteran and His Service Dog

Paws and Stripes founder and disabled veteran Jim Staneck is seeking support from fellow dog lovers after he and his service dog were insulted and assaulted by United Airline employees.

Staneck and his service dog Sarge spent 48 hours stranded in the Dulles Airport after numerous flight cancellations and delays. Wounded in battle, Staneck suffers from a brain injury that makes it difficult for him to concentrate under stress. When he struggled to understand changes to his itinerary an employee at the ticket counter insulted him.

“He said, ‘Just read it’ and I said, ‘Sir I can’t read it,’ and he said, ‘What are you retarded?'” Staneck recalls. “Prior to this I told him I have a brain injury and PTSD, I’m a disabled vet, this is my second night here; I need help.”

To make matters worse, Staneck says Sarge was kicked twice by United employees. He said the second kick was so hard that it sent her flying.

“(He) kicked her so hard on the rib cage, that she flew into my lap… He said he was afraid of dogs,” Staneck said. He and Sarge literally hid in a corner until they were able to board a flight home.

Staneck is asking fellow animal lovers to contact United Airlines and let the company know that our veterans and the dogs they rely on deserve better. He describes the incident in the following video.

July 21, 2012 11:41 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I went through a range of emotions reading this, this is unacceptable and down right disguting. We should start a petition on Change.org, those employees need to be terminated at once and United held accountable.
    Dulles is very close to us, if we had known we would have welcomed Mr. Staneck and his puppy into our home.

July 21, 2012 11:52 amPosted 2 years ago
    Marsha Ford

I never endured the indignity that the injured veteran suffered with his service dog while flying. I suppose I was lucky. This sort of thing should not happen to any one for any reason. God bless you.

• July 21, 2012 11:53 amPosted 2 years ago
    Scout and Freyja

Deplorable. What is in the minds of those who abuse others?

July 21, 2012 11:56 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

WTF? Airline employess are in the hospitality field…what kind of hospitality is that?? They should be fired…then while in flight kicked so hard out of the plane and watch them fly!!! This soldier deserves much more respect than what he got!! He is the reason we live in a country like we have. He was fighting because of 9/11 where fellow airline employees were killed by terrorists…OMG!!! I am at a loss for words right now!! Mr. Staneck, I am so sorry this happened to you. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COURAGE AND STRENGTH AND YOUR GREAT SERVICE FOR OUR COUNTRY SO THAT WE CAN HAVE THE FREEDOM WE DO!!! And to Sarge…you are a hero too little girl!!! Sorry that some humans can be so nasty and mean!!! <3

July 30, 2012 9:42 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Don’t believe all of what u here

July 21, 2012 12:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Grace

This is absolutely unconscionable, but not surprising. United Airlines is probably one of the worst airlines on the face of the Earth. I would not fly United if i were offered a free ticket anywhere in the universe. I do wonder why no one, including other passengers, came to his aid. I would have been at his side in a New York minute, even if it meant missing my flight.

I try not to be litigious, but clearly, this is an actionable legal issue. Mr. Staneck should sue the daylights out of United. I also like the idea of starting a petition at Change.org.

This happens all too often everywhere. If business owners knew they would be facing boycott, public ridicule, and lawsuits, maybe they would better educate themselves about the treatment of people and their service animals.

July 22, 2012 12:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Tina

Ha! I was offered two free $150 vouchers from United when I had incidents on my flights to and from Australia (they lost my luggage on the first flight and I didn’t get it until the day before my return flight) – and the flight back to the states? The plane didn’t have water. The sent me vouchers for me to fly with them again. I don’t think so. Lousy customer service, and rude employees… I play extra to fly other airlines, dollar for dollar it works out cheaper than me buying new clothes while I was waiting for mine to show up. I hope the employees responsible for Mr Staneck and his dog’s abuse are severely punished.

• July 21, 2012 12:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patrick

Everyone who is outraged should decline to fly united until the employees are fired.

July 22, 2012 4:32 amPosted 2 years ago

Excellent idea…Boycott United!!!

July 21, 2012 12:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rox

While internet petitions make everyone who signs them feel pretty good for about 30 seconds as “doing their part” the sad fact is that internet petitions even signed by hundreds of thousands of people simply do not achieve their desired outcome. Witness the Lennox tragedy where even a quarter MILLION signed petitions had no effect whatsoever.

What actually needs to happen is for people to WRITE REAL LETTERS — as in writing (not e-mailing) polite (no profanities) but outraged letters to the airline executives and demanding explanations and demanding termination of the offending employees, making multiple polite but outraged (again, no profanities) phone calls to the airlines demanding explanations and demanding termination of the guilty employees, to go to airline counters in your area and demand to speak to a supervisor and in person express your outrage and demand an explanation, and even contact any travel agents with whom you have established relationships and inform them you will NOT use United Airlines and tell them why and request that they also notify the airlines that they are losing business because of what UA did. And make sure the video is sent to local TV stations! Guaranteed someone will air that information (hint: FOX network strongly supports our troops and veterans and that is a great place to start).

Unless there is a concerted direct effort made, UA — like every other large organization which gets away with this crap — going to ignore people’s concerns.

Through contacts with his veterans support services this gentleman who was victimized by abusive airline personnel can obtain legal help for a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act. He may also have a personal injury claim under his state laws for the incendiary language used by the airline employee and may also have a claim under federal law for the insults. As for the kicking of the dog there should also be available state criminal charges for animal cruelty. In some states there are also special laws against deliberately harming a service animal.

July 21, 2012 12:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Chris

The appalling thing is that United is the DoD’s contract carrier. I urge Jim, Paws & Stripes and allied organizations to make a holy stink about this until DoD puts pressure on UA to take action. I won’t accept people who feel entitled to insult our vets after they’ve been injured in the field, I’m not okay with people abusing animals out of fear or ignorance, but I sure as HELL don’t understand these companies abusing Jim & Sarge when they’d paid to take a flight. When did we get to a place in our culture that these corporate a-holes think they’re entitled to treat paying customers like crap?

July 21, 2012 8:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I’m sure another airline would LOVE to pick up that contract. How about US Airways since they just built up a LOT of flights in the DCA area. They would treat that service animal and soldier like GOLD!

September 2, 2012 9:17 amPosted 2 years ago
        Fyre

Delta would love it. They are great with SD, vets and other people. My most recent trip I had a split flight. I flew Delta one direction. Great service. Had no issues. United on the way back, first they lost one of my tickets, because one passenger didn’t have the same last name as myself. Then when we missed our flight because of issue one, they said we were on stand by for the next flight. And we didn’t get put on a list. It took me calling the service desk, asking to be put on the Next flight for at least one minor so they could get home. They then changed my flight, Bussed us to a small local airfield an hour away, flew to DFW, had to pay for my own hotel and food. Then when I called the corporate office when I got home, “That is just the way the rules are.”

July 22, 2012 11:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
      AUSTRALIAN SHEP.

THIS IS NO WAY TO TREAT OUR PEOPLE WITH HANDY-CAP OR KICKIG ANIMALS THAT HELP THEM ARE WE HUMANS OE IS THERE A LITTLE SAVAGE IN THESE PEOPLE BOYCOTT BOYCOTT PLEASE MNY AIRLINES WITH EMPLOYEES WITH MORE CLASS .
      AIRLINE NEEDS TO REPAY THIS VET AND HIS COMPANION MUCH, MUCH

July 21, 2012 12:56 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I just sent a complaint about United Airlines to WTOP and requested they contact United Airlines. I requested that once we determine who the employees are they at minimum be fired.

Anyone who wants to file a complaint with WTOP this is the link: http://wtop.com/?sid=2243710&nid=700

July 21, 2012 1:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    TPB

Have posted on United’s fb page and sent an email because I am disgusted at how Jim and Sarge were dishonored and asked for the employees involved to be fired and for them to institute a training program for their employees to prevent this from happening in the future. Best wishes to Jim and Sarge.

July 21, 2012 1:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

People need to watch this video all the way through!
    I have written to United Airlines, urging them to act to rectify the situation, and included a link to the video. I encourage other to do the same. Be nice, even though the airline employees weren’t!

July 21, 2012 1:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    nancy

Shame on you United is this the type of employees you hire. I would walk before I would fly in your dam planes. I hope you loose all your business and you know what I hope Jim sues you for every dam plane and penny that you have you deserve to be treated like a bunch of asses.

July 21, 2012 2:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

the media shd be brought in & this shd be made a hu u u ge issue!!cz it is! n a lawsuit must! be filed!!

July 21, 2012 3:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Connie

This was unbelievable and unforgivable. How dare they treat one of our disabled vets and his service dog in that manner. Something should be done!

July 21, 2012 3:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Louise Bell

What a very brave and dignified man. AA should be ashamed of themselves the treatment of this eloquent man is shocking and disgusting!! To the people that kicked his dog, I hope they suffer some horrible illness!!!

July 21, 2012 8:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Hey it wasn’t AA it was UA…. AA treats animals very well as does US Airways, Southwest and JetBlue

July 22, 2012 10:28 amPosted 2 years ago
        Anonymous

AA lost my dog and then proceeded to laugh about it in my face. I would never recommend flying a pet in cargo with them again. They found her two hours later in a freight elevator. Never even offered any apology. I was disgusted with their “customer service”

July 23, 2012 4:55 pmPosted 2 years ago
      shea

WAS NOT AA IT WAS UNITED AIRLINES HOPE NEXT TIME HE FLYIES WITH AMERICAN AIRLINES … THEY TAKE CARE OF OUR MILITARY ..

July 23, 2012 8:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Cat Lover

AA does not have a good record either. Read the Facebook thread under “Jack the Cat” who died as a result of AA carelessness.

July 21, 2012 3:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This is why you NEVER GIVE AWAY DOGS “FREE TO GOOD HOME!”
    These lowlife, bottom-feeding, scum-sucking filthy antisocial types who enjoy torturing and killing animals (or people, if they can get by with it) thrive on that. Free animals wind up used for dogfigting practice, sold to research labs, neglected horribly, or tortured and killed, like this poor baby. If this woman had lived up to her responsibility to her pet — a lifetime committment, this never would have happened.

July 21, 2012 4:48 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Umm whats wrong with you, I think you have the wrong story..this isnt about giving a dog away its about a service dog and its owner being horribly abused by United Airlines, I suggest you watch the video. UA needs to be sued, I know Americans sue and in this case its justifiable,

July 21, 2012 3:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Good bye UA, u lost a customer for life. How dare you, you should be ashamed. All the people out of work and you have tyrants working for you.

July 21, 2012 3:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Randy

If I were in the DC area, I would join a flash mob demonstration to shut down United’s ticket desk for a while….. just sayin..

July 21, 2012 3:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

United Airlines are a disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves. Their employees should be charged and forced to apologise before being fired!

July 21, 2012 3:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I cut and paste this to the United Airlines Facebook page :)

July 21, 2012 4:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Barb

Well, I can say one thing that this man was lucky about. He was lucky he got a flight on another airline. If he was treated this shoddily on land, and he was told more then once that there was a mechanical issue, he would probably have ended up as another statistic after a plane crash. At the point he was at, I would have begged to be put with another airline anyway. No way would I have been able to trust them in the air if I couldn’t on the ground.

Why would a person, employee or otherwise kick a dog? Anyone with any amount of common sense would know, if you’re afraid of a dog to the point where you’d kick him, do you think that’s conducive to not getting attacked? Suppose the dog had been viscious? They could have pulled back a stump. Sounds like they’re the ‘retarded’ ones in this scenario.

Shameful to treat anyone in this manner, considering the cost of a flight, let alone a disabled man, and a veteran to boot! Those people do not belong in such a high-profile public position. Make them after-hours janitors.

July 21, 2012 5:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

why be that generious – FIRE THEM..

July 21, 2012 5:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

sent email to local TV channel – fox8.. hope it helps.. UA should be rectifying this issue before it gets too big and they hopefully go bankrupt.. kick them a couple of time – i say… those U-ncivilized A-holes.. that’s what UA stands for in my book…

July 21, 2012 5:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    shannon rhodes

I can not for any reason understand why someone would be startled by seeing a dog in an airport. They’re there everyday, whether they work there or are peoples service dogs. Really, when was the last time you went anywhere and did not see a service dog in action? And for asking if he was retarded, totally uncalled for. Makes no difference if you are a veteran or civilian, you do not insult people with such questons. Talkig about needing a refresher course in customer relations and kudos for being so politically correct… please!

July 22, 2012 12:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
      anonymous

The ‘retarded’ UA employee must know any dog within the airport could be nothing BUT a service animal. Talk about retarded!

July 21, 2012 5:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

unacceptable!!! no way to treat a vet or his service dog!!! is there a petition? i’ll gladly sign it…

July 21, 2012 6:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Fly Jet Blue next time seriously.

July 21, 2012 6:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This should never have happened, but it did!!! United Airlines owes you and Sarge and anyone else that has been treated in this manner a HUGE APOLOGY !!! I will certainly remember this the next time I fly… UA SHAME ON U!!!!!

July 21, 2012 7:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Harriet

Some airline employees really need retraining in regards to being around service dogs. I flew with my dog in coach on US Air. On the return flight, the airline attendant who did the safety demo tried to get my dog to leap up and take the demo oxygen mask (he leaned over into our aisle, dangling it over her head like a toy for her). Thankfully, she is solid enough in training that she remained in her down-stay, checked with me (pretty much a look on her face of what is this idiot doing?), I hand-signaled to reinforce the down-stay and she ignored the attendants antics. Guaranteed, if she had decided to leap up and snag the mask thinking it was an acceptable toy, they’d be telling me to pay for it.

July 21, 2012 7:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Do we have the full story or just this guy’s? Not saying he is lying, but more than one person must have witnessed this and can validate his story.

July 21, 2012 8:29 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dog lover

All I gotta say is it’s a good thing it wasn’t one of my dogs that got kicked….this amazing veteran showed way more restraint than I possibly could have!! I’m afraid there would be a customer service agent with a couple of broken appendages!! It appalls me this could happen! My son served two tours in the heat of Afghanistan…as a military mom and a dog lover this makes my blood boil!!! United will be hearing from me…both phone calls and written letters!! There is no excuse!! I will not fly united again…even if they fire those responsible! They should be more careful about who they hire in the first place!

July 21, 2012 8:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    J - dog lover and veteran supporter

How do we get this to local TV stations?? Nightline would be great exposure!! Contacts anyone?

July 21, 2012 9:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    J - dog lover and veteran supporter

*THIS IS THE CONTACT INFO FOR ABC NEWS, PUT IN A STORY REQUEST FOR JIM’S STORY: http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3068843 ***

July 21, 2012 10:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    J - dog lover and veteran supporter

Hey everyone, submit this story to his local Albuequerque news station: http://www.koat.com/tv/contact

July 21, 2012 10:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Deann Martin-Coleman

I know how you feel! I am not a disabled veteran but I am a disabled individual! I suffer from Polymyositis . I have both arms and legs and other than lack of muscle mass you can’t tell I am disabled! It is ridiculous how you can be treated! I don’t know if you have ever been down to our court house here in downtown Albuquerque, NM. But it is very unfriendly for handicap people! From the distance that you have to park all the way up tramp down there! It is designed terribly unfriendly! I will be happy to email United airlines on your behalf!

July 21, 2012 10:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Paul Godward

I have not exactly been a big fan of United Airlines, but after seeing this I will NEVER fly UA again, ever. This type of behavior is completely unacceptable and speaks to their commitment not just to customers but to the men and women who put their lives on the line for the rest of us. The other thing that disturbs me is where was everyone else while this was going on? I fly quite a bit as does my wife and airports, especially Dulles is not known for being deserted. Why did no one else stand up for this man and his dog. I can guaranty that if i saw an airline employee treating a passenger, especially a disabled vet and his service dog like this there would be quite a “discussion” that ensued….

July 21, 2012 11:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    mike willett

It is a violation of the Persons with Disability Act they broke federal laws easiest thing contact your Senator he should be able to start things going

July 22, 2012 4:25 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I totally agree with ya’….Well put!

July 21, 2012 11:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I am so sorry sir! And thank you for your service. I have a flight on united in a week I will endeavor to change that to another airline. I dont do this to be negative but this is what corporations understand. It cuts through and goes right to the very reason they continue to exhist. We all vote with our dollars and this is NOT the business model I want to support. Please give sarge a hug for me she’s a great dog!

July 22, 2012 12:20 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Send them a message through twitter @united

July 22, 2012 12:21 amPosted 2 years ago
    Bryan Leach

Would have been great if he went over the counter and beat the hell out of the person. Even better would have been to have the lawsuit thrown out. of court.
    Yes, I know beating the hell out of the guy is considered bad. Some people just need an ass kicking.

July 22, 2012 3:09 amPosted 2 years ago
    Mario De Vera

I’m a veteran and an ex United Airlines employee. I’m mad as hell how you and Sarge were treated and no one should have to go through that. If that was me I would’ve lost it. Continental merged with United and their management is running United and implemented their ways of doing business including using their system which is very frustrating to the United employees. Still they shouldn’t have acted the way they did. I’ve posted your story to the United’s Facebook site and voiced my displeasure and stated that I’m not proud to be an ex United employee with the way things are going at my once great company. Here’s United’s CEO if anyone wants to email him: [email protected]

July 22, 2012 2:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

Mario – I am an ex airline employee as well and agree with all you have said. But if you think about it – two flight attendants from Newark helped Mr. Staneck and Sarge out in the end. Newark is a Continental hub, meaning these were probably former CO flight attendants and not UA. I will be writing to the CEO – thanks for the email address.

July 24, 2012 1:57 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Kristy

Sorry Mario…was giving you the THUMBS UP but on my Nook
      it hit the down, and I can’t seem to change it! You gave a GREAT POST and I appreciate you listing the CEO’s email, as I will be emailing him also! I thank you for the service you gave our country! God bless you!! :)

July 22, 2012 4:21 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

United Airlines, you should be put to shame for the
    poor treatment to a veteran and his pooch especially
    after he risked his own skin for our nation’s freedom!!
    Not only this is a disgrace, it’s an act of treason
    and the vast majority demands that you fire these
    abusive employees IMMEDIATELY or else face legal action!!!!

Jim Staneck, you served the nation very well and you
    and your beloved pooch deserve better and we won’t
    be satisfied until justice is served in your
    favor and for your beloved pooch, Sarge.
    And not to be overlooked…..Welcome home.
    Right now, you’re gonna need all the help
    from the good people who care so that you
    can finally enjoy the finer things in life such as
    family, sports, and barbeques.
    As for serving our nation, we are forever grateful for your sacrifice.

July 22, 2012 7:10 amPosted 2 years ago
    Olsen

I’d like to hear the other parties involved in this. You alway have to hear both sides of the story.

July 22, 2012 7:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    IPPY Ippolito

I agree with all that was written about the treatment the vet and his dog had to suffer. I myself am a 28 year old Navy vet and if I have some to say, and I usually do, you can bet ur tushi I want the whole world to know who I am and what my thoughts are. So whats with this “”””anonymous”””” thing????? You have something to say, then say it and be proud that you did and list ur name…….or are you playing ostrich by sticking ur head in the sand and hoping that this will go away. You were brave enuff to write ur thoughts, be brave enuff to Identify urself !!!!!!!! if not, leave the damn keyboard alone !!!!!!……IPPY…….(Ippolito)

July 22, 2012 10:45 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This is beyond unacceptable. Those employees need to be publicly humiliated for this. They don’t even deserve to have a job. Another reason to despise and boycott united airlines! Ridiculous!

July 22, 2012 11:16 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jayne

What a disgrace. I hope that United really feels the heat on this one and that employee finds himself without a job.

July 22, 2012 11:19 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Fly the Friendly Skies, NOT. This is so disgraceful to have happened to anyone much less one of our servicemen. Those employees should have been thanking Mr. Staneck for his service and bending over backwards to accommodate him. Wow, ironic that he became disabled fighting for those jerks to be able to treat him like that. Makes me sick to my stomach. To Mr. Staneck and all our military, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You are heros forever.

July 22, 2012 12:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    April

Everyone should watch this. Not only because of the way Jim and Sarge his service dog was was treated, but to share awareness and ensure this never happens again. All disabled people should be treated with respect and understanding, there is no excuse for anyone to treat a fellow human and animal this way. You can see throughout the video how hard it was for Jim to remain composed and hold back his hurt and anger at the events that happened over several days at the airport. PLEASE WATCH AND SHARE.

July 22, 2012 2:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    W porch

Boycott them and do not use United. Totally unacceptable and employees should be fired. Those employees sleep at night because of the veteran they abused and to harm his dog is a Tradegy. That dog may now be fearful and never trust again to work properly not to me tip. The pain and suffering they caused her. What heartless idiots.

July 22, 2012 2:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

This is disgusting – and illegal. I hope the dog has been examined for injuries and a lawyer has been contacted regarding a civil suit vs. United.

July 22, 2012 4:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    amy mac

I sent an email to Mr. simsek as well as my state tag general Baldwin. I also included admiral mullen gen casey, harry reid and John ensign. What a shameful way to treat a disabled person i live everyday with a soldier and sufferer of ptsd and tbi and anyone who treated him like that would get immediate reaction from me.

July 22, 2012 4:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Barbara F

First let me say, my heart was breaking watching this video….. Second, to Mr. Staneck and Sarge let me say I am so sorry…. You have sacrificed so much for our country and all the people here, and to have a handlful of those very people treat you this way is completely unacceptable….United Airlines needs to look at the past schedules, find the individuals responsible for this man’s suffering. I think they shoul not only lose thier jobs, because they do not have waht is needed to hold such positions, but they should also be made to publically appologize to this man!!! I will start my emails right now!!!

July 22, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

UAL is now on my “NO FLY LIST”!! Emails and phone calls to them will start tomorrow!

July 22, 2012 5:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lynda Picard

Completely Outraged! You do NOT treat People like this, you do not treat Animals like this, a Service Dog, no less! I will sign the petition. I am very sorry that there are individuals in the Service Industry, who are so uniformed; They need to be more compassionate, and patient with Patrons; obviously he needed assistance, and was met with cruelty, shame on this Airline

July 22, 2012 6:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa Haas

I am so disheartened to read this. Jim, I live an hour away from Dulles. If I had known you were there struggling, I would have been there in a heartbeat to help. Shame, shame, shame on United!!!!! I have voted with my feet. Flying to Chicago in October but NOT on United. I am a proud spouse of a Retired Marine and will be sure to spread this story. We, as a nation, need to come together and support these brave men and women who have defended our nation. There are NO excuses for doing anything less.

July 22, 2012 7:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I already sent out on email to my local ABC News; I live in New York City.

This type of abuse can not go without some sought of puishment. I urge all of you to contract your local news stations, big and small, and submit this as a possible story to them. And put down that he is a disabled vetern with a service dog that is was United Airlines.

If this reaches the media I sure things will happen at United.

July 22, 2012 8:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Nadine

I think this is another example of corporations working with minimal employees and downsized staffing. So many employees are now over-taxed, overworked and stressed to the limit themselves, because corporations focus on profit over product/service. With populations on an exponential rise, this will become the norm, I’m afraid. It’s not just United Airlines, its across the board in most of the service industries.

July 23, 2012 12:23 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

That was such a horrible thing to have happened. United Airlines should be apologizing for thier employees actions. I can honestly say that if someone had kicked my dog I would have had something to say about it each time. I think it’s disgusting how this man was treated. The fact that he informed the employees of his injuries and vet status, they saw that he had a service dog and then he was called those names, United Airlines should fire those employees! It shouldn’t take a law suit for this to happen but in these times it probably will. Hopefull people are letting United Airlines know that treating an injured vet, whether the injury is visible or not, and his service dog this way is unacceptable. Mr Staneck, I can honestly say that you held your composure much better than I would have. You should be proud of yourself and Sarge you both took everything in stride, I know that I am proud of you both as I’m sure your family is too. I really hope something comes of this even if it is certain employees being fired.

July 23, 2012 10:31 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I am trying to figure out how someone can kick a dog that big so hard as to make them fly…

July 24, 2012 4:03 amPosted 2 years ago
    Sharon

I travel a lot, and you can bet I won’t be booking any flights on United. I’m sorry for the way you and Sarge were treated. Thank you for your service to our country.

July 24, 2012 1:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    TRISH

Hello,
    I just wanted to ask where are your customer service people trained ? Are they trained ?
    Please get them trained to handle our veterans with the respect we owe them for their sacrifices. There are lots of companies that offer diversity training and I am sure there are also trainers for issues related to disabled people of all kinds.. your company is one of the most public that our vets are exposed to and I for one would gladly pay extra for my tickets to cover what ever expense is incurred to get your people trained in customer service. As for the people who kicked his dog that is wrong on so many levels, not to mention animal abuse is against the law. What are these people doing to seeing eye dogs that their owners can’t even see? They should be very glad I was not anywhere near this I for one would have stood up for not only the soldier but as an animal owner and lover I would have called the authorities on the animal abusers immediatley.
    THIS IS WHAT I SENT TO UNITED AIRLINE REPRESENTATIVES.

July 25, 2012 12:39 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Gurantee that both dog kickers touch their heads the floor 5 times a day. Gurantee it. They have laws that actually require them to throw rocks at and kill dogs. So when you ask what kind of a person could do this, the answer is simple: only a subhuman piece of filth would this. Please pay attention when and if the dock kicker’s names are released.n

July 25, 2012 1:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    BW

I am a veteran, have PTSD, a service dog and work for United. Please do not get me wrong, I am not saying that this did or did not happen. What I am saying is, if someone kicked my service dog, I would immediately get their name, supervisor, and police. If I could not get their name, I would make sure I had the description, where they went and any witness to what happen. Since he did not do any of this, he has left United with no recourse, good, bad or indifferent to response to this situation.

July 25, 2012 4:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Bluetiger

Bull. United can find out exactly what happened and who did what in about an hour. The perps should be fired, and their manager(s), too, for failing to inculcate and insist on proper respect for customers.

July 25, 2012 1:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Why is a lawsuit always the answer. That is the down fall of America. The punishment should be against the employees that took this action. The company should fire them, they do not need these types of employees.

Who do you people thinks pays for all of these law suits? It is us stupid and only the lawyers get rich.

It is always three lawyers and a court room that the people (that’s us) get to pay in addition to all of the cost associated with court rooms and all of the people employed. The people always come out behind as whatever is awarded to someone is paid in higher cost for any goods or services because of the high awards of law suits. There is no free money, we the people always pay and pay and pay. The fat cat lawyers just get richer and richer and file more and more law suits for any kind of nonsense.

• July 25, 2012 7:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

A 27 year United Airlines flight attendant who was based out of Dulles Airport was diagnosed with PTSD,Paranoid Schizophrenia,Suicide Attempts,Ect all after 911 as she was working inflight when she learned of the hijackings taking place in the U.S. The morning of September 8 2010 she was to depart Dulles in the morning to Chicago Ohare returning the evening of Saturday 9/11/2010 from standard 3 day Requalification training as United medical had just released her to work August 20 2010 & if on leave 3 or more months the above training is mandatory. United 1st scheduled her training date for Aug 25 2010 but then cancelled it @ the last minute for a requirement that was not listed on her medical release to work document? A family friend reported her to 911 dispatch as suicidal,missing @ 11:00a.m. the morning of 9/8/2010 after she had called him & asked if he would pray with & for her as she had to work,had to make money but all she knew how to do was be a flight attendant & I believe she was fired earlier that morning & would not be returning to work as her release document had stated. She would not be found for over 7 hours after being 911 reported in The Washington & Old Dominion Park beside her cell phone tower with her phones gps location set to E911 & a United employee would ID her body the next day Sept 9 2010 I was told. I was told by her friends in the town she lived in that the local news never reported her death or even that a body of a female had been found & in speaking with her co workers UA never announced,acknowledged her death, No memorial display in the flight crew lounge which had become a tradition when a flight attendant died. I am so glad Mr. Stanek was given the media attention he & Sarge so deserved to bring awareness to such horrific treatment that should have never occurr & hopefully this will not happen again as the world is watching. Ask United what happened to their flight attendant Holly Phields Farmer who was homeless @ the time of her death but for 27 years she wore her United wings with pride.

July 25, 2012 7:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie Z

Saw this at Huffington Post

“According to the blog Reduced Mobility Right, the U.S. Department of Transportation has opened an investigation into the incident, with the cooperation of the airline.

“We are reaching out to the customer directly to discuss the events that he described,” a spokesperson for United told Reduced Mobility Rights on July 21.”

July 26, 2012 1:40 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Totally UNACCEPTABLE behavior from anyone.

August 23, 2012 11:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anastasia
    November 21, 2013 6:21 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

wow, tried to sneak a fake service dog on board and got denied? servers you right