Shelter Director Fired over ‘No-Kill’ Scam

Update (7/27/12): During a special meeting held on Friday, The Boggs Mountain Humane Shelter’s Board of Directors voted unanimously to fire Lowanda Kilby as director of the shelter and Rabun County Animal Control.

The board also accepted the voluntary resignation of Penny Burkitt, president of the board the past 13 years.

In her resignation letter, Burkitt said she hopes that “as a result of my resignation that the organization can move forward and heal in a more expeditious path.”

Original article continued…

Located in northern Georgia, Boggs Mountain Humane Shelter has been deceiving pet owners by claiming to be a no kill shelter, collecting donations for its cause, and killing the dogs it claims to save.

For $100, the shelter said clients could guarantee their dog or cat left at the Boggs Mountain Humane Shelter would not be euthanized.

But in a revolting case of deception, the shelter sent e-mails to owners forced to relinquish their pets telling them their lucky pet had been adopted – when in fact, they had been killed.

Comments

1. That’s fantastic

2. Things like this really make me wish I believed in Hell.

3. Great!!!!!

4. Jackie says on  07/22/2012 at 7:01 pm

Suspended WITH pay? Ridiculous. She needs to be prosecuted for fraud and animal abuse.

5. Tara says on  07/22/2012 at 7:02 pm

Awesome!!!!!

6. Sherry says on  07/22/2012 at 7:02 pm

awesome!!!!

7. Rose says on  07/22/2012 at 7:02 pm

what a slime

8. Mara says on  07/22/2012 at 7:02 pm

Yes!!! I hope this adds up to conspiracy & grand larceny charges. The b!+ch should have to pay restitution and do time in prison.

9. Amen!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!

10. Pam says on  07/22/2012 at 7:03 pm

Boggs Mountain Board has suspended Lowanda Peanut Kilby indefinitely with pay while a five-person panel investigates what we earlier reported.

11. Joanna says on  07/22/2012 at 7:03 pm

lowlifes

12. Barbara says on  07/22/2012 at 7:04 pm

add animal cruelty to the list of charges….

13. She pulled dogs from the humane society that I work at. We just yesterday found out that one is indeed safe and has in fact been adopted. No word on the others she has pulled from us for “rescue” purposes. This entire story angers me to no end.

• WisePati says on  07/23/2012 at 11:31 am

Well I hope that that fact, pulling dogs from other shelters with no intent to save them but only ‘use’ them to raise funds, is added to this. That is fraud I would think, but of course when animals are involved the laws aren’t very strong because human law view them as ‘things’ without feeling or any ‘rights’, completely under the ‘power’ of humans to do what they will with them. I doubt this is what God had in mind when He created them.
      This ‘woman’ should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for what she did, certainly some form of animal abuse, fraud and whatever else.
      And yes, it does make me wish I believed in Hell for un-humans like this. I wonder where all the money went…may she never have another peaceful night’s sleep, may nightmares haunt her.

14. Michelle says on  07/22/2012 at 7:05 pm

Awesome news happy:)

15. Why in the world is she suspended with pay ? That is not a punishment at all. Punishment is to treat her as badly as she treated humans and animals….Why does this country let so many people get away with the rotten/uncaring things that they do ?????

16. You can always identify terrible people when they treat animals in a hazardous fashion.

17. Michelle says on  07/22/2012 at 7:06 pm

BAD Lowanda!! Her days will come…just sit back folks!!

18. Pam says on  07/22/2012 at 7:06 pm

Too lenient if you ask me. She shouldn’t be receiving pay. Criminal charges should be brought against her too.

19. Jim says on  07/22/2012 at 7:06 pm

Suspended?What,no arrest and jail for larceny?

20. That is NOT good enough. This is a NON profit taking all good people’s money! They need to be shut down, because if you are telling me that the other directors(and there have to be more than one for a federal NON PROFIT) did not know about this..you are sorely wrong!!

21. Margaret says on  07/22/2012 at 7:07 pm

Suspended with pay .. really where is the justice in that>

22. shame we cant put her to sleep for being a discusting human being.

23. Michelle says on  07/22/2012 at 7:07 pm

her pay should go to the animals and their care..not to her!

24. David says on  07/22/2012 at 7:08 pm

she should be arrested and sued.

25. Ingrid says on  07/22/2012 at 7:08 pm

In my book she would have to tell each dog owner, who’s dog she killed, what she did and apologize. Let her see first hand the grief she caused – and then try to make amends. I wonder how much of her resume was doctored since she’s so good at deception.

26. She be SCUM!

27. Andrea says on  07/22/2012 at 7:09 pm

What a disgusting Human Being.

28. Ingrid says on  07/22/2012 at 7:10 pm

The authorities have to amass solid evidence first, otherwise it will fall through the cracks of justice. Be patient – justice’s arm is far reaching!

29. Suspended with pay? She should be fired,charged for her crimes & never allowed to work around or own an animal again. What a pathetic,worthless excuse for a human being

30. Timothy says on  07/22/2012 at 7:10 pm

She has NO HEART. There was NO remorse whatsoever in her voice, or her words…she is STILL in charge there.

31. Joey Arendt says on  07/22/2012 at 7:10 pm

The Kirby “woman” should be put to sleep. What a terrible person and the board isnt any better… they should ALL be held responsible. They took the money and killed the animals… isnt that unlawful? There should be jail time for this scam.

• WisePati says on  07/23/2012 at 11:35 am

That’s a good point…someone besides her must have been involved. They had to dispose of the bodies and fake reports to the board. And there are costs involved in buying the euthanizing drugs…but then maybe she did things I don’t want to know about. So yes, I’ll bet there are others involved who need to be brought to justice.
      What a heartless piece of work. All about money.

32. Human crap like her pisses me off, no wonder I spend more time with animals.

33. Is this the one that had the Lucky Dog progam? May she rot in hell!!

34. Wow that is so great!!!! Congrats!!!

35. The Lucky dog program…!

36. Robert says on  07/22/2012 at 7:12 pm

Disgraceful woman

37. fire her make her pay

38. Unbelievable! May she burn in hell!

39. Nancy says on  07/22/2012 at 7:14 pm

Randy Travis’ report can be found on his FB page or through the Fox 5 FB page. The shelter’s BOD is touting the fact that they have ‘saved’ 12,000 pets. I think that number is grossly misstated.

40. Sadie says on  07/22/2012 at 7:14 pm

so happy, although, so sad it had to happen. i hope those responsible for the deception are charged with something…

41. How horrible!! God not only created human beings but also all the earth and everything in it and the animals were to be taken care of as gardens are taken care of. I have no quarell with those who hunt certain animals for food, if done legally and quickly. But the thing she did to those animals was so wrong! Wait till she has her day to pay!

42. That is sick why what was her point. Just makes me so angry.

43. Suspended WITH pay??? Wow that’ll show her. Some potassium chloride injected into her arm would be more appropriate. POS.

44. Suspended! She should be flogged!

45. Deborah says on  07/22/2012 at 7:17 pm

Suspended WITH pay? Let’s just hope this leads to her firing and NO PAY!

46. Erica says on  07/22/2012 at 7:17 pm

Oh my god that is horrible! I cannot believe she could live with herself! Where was the money going to? Her pocket? She should have been fired, not suspended & surely not with pay.

47. Bette says on  07/22/2012 at 7:17 pm

“Suspended with pay” is just a paid vacation. She needs be to plain ol’ gone!

48. put her ass in jail..no bed, just concrete floor, and a empty bowl on the floor..

49. Emmy says on  07/22/2012 at 7:17 pm

Suspended with pay?! she should be fired!

50. We could euthanize her!

51. Why dont they euthanixe her

52. Greedy whore

53. Thank God!!! See, there are ANGELS watching!!!!! :)

54. Amy says on  07/22/2012 at 7:19 pm

Suspended! What!?! She wasnt Fired? Geez.

55. Toni says on  07/22/2012 at 7:20 pm

Suspended with pay? WTH is wrong with this picture. Fired, no pay, restitution, time in jail!!! Inhumanity at it worst!!!

56. SUSPENDED?????????? She needs to be euthanized!!!!!

57. Mary says on  07/22/2012 at 7:23 pm

They should have euthanized her ………..

58. Smokeysmom says on  07/22/2012 at 7:23 pm

She is a sick twisted bi#ch, I hope that this one goes to jail for a long time, evil

59. stinkin scumbag hope they put her down the stinkin old bag

60. may she never have a good nights sleep again

61. Chris says on  07/22/2012 at 7:26 pm

…suspended with pay??????????

62. Christine says on  07/22/2012 at 7:27 pm

We should get her “adopted” -_-

63. That was so F up!!!! People are sick

64. There is a certain place below reserved for her…

65. Lola says on  07/22/2012 at 7:29 pm

Suspended??? that’s it??? what about going to prison or at least getting fired.. Anyway, with this story out, I’ll make sure she never works with animals again!!!!!!

66. Dori says on  07/22/2012 at 7:29 pm

That is sick…what horrible people

67. That is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing!

68. Sammarye says on  07/22/2012 at 7:31 pm

POS scumbag

69. Suspended WITH PAY?? WTF?

70. Hallelujah!!!!!

71. Hdr says on  07/22/2012 at 7:38 pm

I hope that fat lump of shit gets hers.

72. hope they keep a watch onthem!!!!

73. Margaret says on  07/22/2012 at 7:43 pm

Criminal Charges is what I want to hear about

74. that is good news. now Lowanda Kilby should be charged with animal cruelty

75. Low life scum!

76. Cathleen says on  07/22/2012 at 7:46 pm

She needs to be prosecuted.

77. Ken says on  07/22/2012 at 7:47 pm

With pay? Seriously, what kind of low life back woods yokels are we dealing with?

78. brittany says on  07/22/2012 at 7:49 pm

Fire her ass!!

79. They had a FB page, but it has been taken down. Imagine that. I did find them on the internet, but I wanted to comment directly to these worthless degenerates, but I couldn’t.

80. Raven says on  07/22/2012 at 7:55 pm

How is being “suspended with pay” punishment, when there are far too many murdered animals???

81. Lowanda Kilby needs to be charged with a criminal act, theft by deception, whatever it will take to punish her!

82. Judy says on  07/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

They need to prosecute her ass!

83. Great news would be her getting fired not being suspended WITH pay! How many animals did she have put down before she was exposed?

84. Stuart says on  07/22/2012 at 8:02 pm

How incredibly cruel. She should be forbidden from ever working with animals in the future.

85. Animal abuser the SCUMBAG

86. Nancy Burks Julie Fussnecker Rebecca Elizabeth Trawick Emily Reynolds Thompson FYI Located In GEORGIA … which needs better Animal Protection Laws.

87. With pay!
    Suspended with pay!
    Wtf

88. Jan says on  07/22/2012 at 9:21 pm

THIS IS HORRIBLE>>> may Karma pay off and send them to meet the devil .. seeing they are devils on earth .. poor animals !!

89. Monica says on  07/23/2012 at 1:53 pm

Ok, I know I am alittle slow but please bear with me – why do people put their animals in this shelter? To find adoption? And if so, why were they demanded to relinquish them?

Whatever the answer is, this woman should be prosecuted from each and everyone of these people, be locked up and fined.

How terribly sad.

90. Anonymous says on  07/23/2012 at 3:22 pm

Sometimes being prosecuted “to the full extent of the law” doesn’t mean much. I hope the laws in your state are strong. Which makes me repeat…we need STRONG FEDERAL LAWS that regard animal cruelty acts as one of the highest level of crime and punish violators accordingly. It makes me CRAZY that in our world and day and age, there are STILL literally millions I dare say nasty, illiterate, crazy, cruel people who do this with no conscience whatsoever.

91. AWESOME NEWS…. good…

92. Bring the other woman back… the one who was forced to send them, and had to resign…

93. Darlene says on  07/27/2012 at 7:15 pm

Good!!!

94. OK criminal charges next please!

95. Good for them for finally seeing what a bad person she is.

96. Hoping the shelter will now really become a NO KILL! Of course, I dont know if I would ever trust them even if they said they were

97. Don’t let that door hit you on your way out!

98. Disgusting

99. Wanda says on  07/27/2012 at 7:17 pm

that’s great news!! thank you for the update :)

100. Julie says on  07/27/2012 at 7:17 pm

I hope she goes stra8 to jail then stra8 to hell!!!