Dog stranded at sea rescued by a paddle boarder

Charlie Head was attempting to row 600 miles from Cornwall to London, when on the closing stretch of his journey he spotted a Shih Tzu puppy stranded on some rocks just off the coast of Kent. His focus quickly shifted from his athletic endeavor to saving the puppy. The rescue was all captured on video thanks to a video attached to Head’s helmet.

The Shih Tzu was found standing on some rocks, surrounded by water. “He was just sitting there wondering what the hell to do. He was absolutely terrified,” said Head. Ten more minutes and, due to the incoming tide, the rocks would have been covered with water. Luckily Head spotted the puppy and got to him in time. The puppy was terrified at first, but soon realized Head was trying to help him, “When he felt safe he snuggled up between my legs and we headed back to shore.”

When Head got to dry land he took the dog to the nearby Hampton Inn pub. The landlord there took the pup in and a barmaid wrapped the puppy up. “We were calling him Pebbles until the dog warden looked at his microchip and found out his real name,” the barmaid said. The dog’s name turned out to be Bam Bam. The owner still hasn’t been traced. If the owner is unable to be located the barmaid intends to keep Bam Bam.

Head went on to complete his 600 mile adventure that he started in July. He next plans to tackle the Atlantic Ocean, intending to commence that challenge in two months. He hopes rescuing Bam Bam will bring some good karma for his next adventure, “It was great to help the little dog hopefully the good deed will be bring me a little luck and help me complete the rest of the challenges.”

October 19, 2012 11:17 amPosted 2 years ago
    Cheryl F

Your compassion is in your voice as you rescued little Bam Bam. I have no doubt good Karma will follow you all the rest of your life. Thank you for helping this little dog.

October 19, 2012 11:35 amPosted 2 years ago
    Toby

Thank you Charlie Head for being a savior for this little dog. I hope the barmaid keeps him, the owners clearly had no tabs on this little fellow.

October 20, 2012 8:45 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

You could have, maybe, read the comment just before yours… The comment from the owner.

• October 19, 2012 12:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Catherine

poor wee bam bam!!!

October 19, 2012 3:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Taken from the comments following the article published in the Daily Mail online … This is my dog. Firstly, she wasn’t out there due to any cruelty. She was on a walk (I wasn’t present) and she slipped out of her collar and bolted. By the time that I was informed and had arrived she was nowhere to be seen. There were many people out searching for her but because we had no idea what direction she had gone in, we had a large area to cover and obviously didn’t have much luck. A lot of people were very concerned about her and she is very much loved. I thank Charlie from the bottom of my heart as without him my dog Molly (she was chipped with the name bam bam at her breeders) would not be alive right now. Molly was missing for 2 days and must have made her way out onto the rocks as low tide and had become trapped as the tide came in. She is now safe and well at home with her family (myself and my 2 children) and is no worse for wear. – G.W , kent, United Kingdom, 19/10/2012 15:24

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219623/Paddle-boarder-Charlie-Head-600-mile-trip-rescues-Shih-Tzu-puppy-stranded-rocks.html#ixzz29m1cjE1U
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

October 19, 2012 3:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

They need to get that microchip updated methinks!