Dog Who Had His Legs Cut Off Getting Help To Walk Again

Fabio gets around the best he can. His back legs are stumps, a painful reminder of horrible abuse he suffered in the past. Now veterinarians in New Orleans are hoping to make things a little easier for Fabio.

Fabio will be flying to New Orleans this week to be examined by Dr. Allison Barca where she hopes to work with a team of specialists to help Fabio live a more comfortable life. Right now Fabio moves around, but it is difficult because his back legs are only stumps. His legs were hacked off just below the joint because someone didn’t want him to jump over a back yard fence.

Fabio has adapted to his situation, and gets around, but Dr. Barca wants to make it easier for him. “Fabio does not need us. Fabio’s making it on his own. We’re just going to try to make it better for him,” said Dr. Barca. “I just think he needs something to help the stumps to feel comfortable as they remodel through life and to keep them protected from hitting the ground.”

Barca will examine Fabio to assess whether the booties will work for him and how they will fit for him. “The two booties are not going to match,” she said. “In other words, you just can’t order a set of boots that are going to strap to his legs. They’re going to have to be altered to fit this little dog individually.”

While Fabio is in New Orleans he will be spending time at Dag’s House, a rehab home for dogs. Many dogs from Dag’s House have gone on to walk in parades in New Orleans, something that one day Fabio will get to do as well.

Comments

1. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm

That is horrible that someone would do such a thing. How about getting a taller fence or stay outside with the dog for a while or maybe find a good home for him since obviously these people were not the best!

2. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Who are these so-called “people” in the world today???????? Damn, Damn. But BLESSINGS to those that saved him! You look so happy Fabio, I am so proud of you!

3. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Seriously what is wrong with people. Poor little thing, but glad he is getting the attention he deserves now. Good luck gentle soul.

4. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 2:25 pm

what was the penalty for the person who hacked off Fabio’s lower hind legs?

• Nettie says on  May 20, 2013 at 2:09 am

I would like to know this as well. Anyone who would do this is psycho and should be locked up

5. Terrible. This story will give me nightmares for weeks.

6. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 3:04 pm

It is unfathomable there are people like this in this world. I say eye for an eye and do the same thing to them. hack away at their feet.

7. Cynthia says on  March 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Me alegraré el día que se instaure la pena de muerte a cualquier maltratador. Mierda de gente, no merece estar viva.

8. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm

We want to know if the person who did this was punished????? Penalized??? Consequences?????

9. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What the hell is wrong with people? What the hell! I agree, cut the people who did this f-ing feet off at the ankles! Dominion over animals on Earth gives no one the right to torture, abuse etc animals. May God have mercy on their souls because I just can not ask for mercy for the insane people who did this! I seriously think we are in the End Times after reading this. How about a higher fence? Or the halter that prevents dogs from jumping? I can share this on FB as people will have nightmares too.

10. Anonymous says on  March 12, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What the hell is wrong with people? What the hell! I agree, cut the people who did this f-ing feet off at the ankles! Dominion over animals on Earth gives no one the right to torture, abuse etc animals. May God have mercy on their souls because I just can not ask for mercy for the insane people who did this! I seriously think we are in the End Times after reading this. How about a higher fence? Or the halter that prevents dogs from jumping? I can’t share this on FB as people will have nightmares too.

11. Whoever did this needs burned alive, no questions asked

• Agreed…I will bring the matches…….The world is crowded enough and there is no room for people like this.

12. PatBostwick says on  March 13, 2013 at 10:24 am

How can anyone with any sense at all believe this ridiculous story? I read on another site that the dog lost part of its hind legs because of an accident and the “hacking legs off” story was concocted by someone soliciting donations for some abused dog organization. Think about it, a dog that size couldn’t “jump” a fence if its life depended on it. Sheesh! People today are so gullible it’s frightening!

• Pat, nowhere in the article does it say how high the fence was. I have a Pom that can jump 3-4 feet onto the bed so I’m sure she could clear a short fence. Also dogs can climb fences. However, I do hope you are right and that this story is exaggerated.

• PatBostwick says on  March 13, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Angela, the story about the “hacked off” legs was fabricated by a person soliciting donations for abused dogs! But even if this fact had not already been reported on other sites, a person in a rage over a dog escaping their yard would either dump it at the pound, dump it beside the road somewhere (perhaps toss it from a moving vehicle), or kill it! No one concerned about a dog “jumping” a fence would “hack off” its legs! People today are so gullible!

• Yeah Pat….oh I see if it was an accident then oh well….get a life .I hope the dog gets all the help it can by all the good caring people and for you Pat enjoy being a very angry unhappy person.

• PatBostwick says on  March 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm

To Doug: You are delusional! There is a world of difference between a dog being injured accidentally by a car, another dog, or whatever, and having its legs “hacked off.” Get a freaking brain!