Pope Francis Makes Exception to Bless Guide Dog

Journalist Alessandro Forlani wasn’t sure he’d even be allowed in when the new pope met with the world media on Saturday. Guards had told him he most likely wouldn’t because of his guide dog, however Vatican officials let him and his guide dog Asia in and after the pope’s thank you speech to the media Pope Francis asked to meet Forlani and Asia.

Forlani is a visually impaired radio journalist and showed up on Saturday at the Vatican’s auditorium for Pope Francis’ address to the media. Accompanying him was his guide dog, a yellow Labrador Retriever named Asia. “As I waited in line to enter the hall, the security guards told me that most likely I wouldn’t be allowed to get in with the dog,” Forlani wrote on his Facebook page. “But after a few minutes, Vatican official gave me the green light and I was accompanied by a Swiss guard to the audience hall.” Forlani and Asia were given a seat in the front rows.

After the pope delivered his speech a selected group of media went before him. As they lined up Vatican officials came up to Forlani. “They said that Pope Francis had asked to meet me. He had seen Asia and wanted to see both us,” said Forlani. “He broke the ceremonial rules as my presence on stage with Asia wasn’t previously arranged.”

Asia walked by Forlani’s side and approached pope Francis, giving his white robe a brief sniff and then patiently waited while Forlani spoke with the pope. Forlani asked the pope for a blessing for his wife and daughter. The pope wanted to make sure Asia also got a blessing,“ He said, ‘and a special blessing for your dog too,’” Recalled Forlani. The pope reached down and stroked the yellow Lab. The pope’s attention and affection toward Asia is fitting for the name he took as St. Francis is the patron saint of animals.

Related posts

March 18, 2013 10:49 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Lovley story of our new Pope bless him ,and his path ahead .

Woof woof! Thumb up 26 Thumb down 1

March 18, 2013 10:57 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

The day he became Pope Francis I felt in my heart he was going to do good or the Catholic Church. Not a Catholic but nonetheless I am a Christian & we are based upon Christianity I felt such a wonderful feeling in my heart. I loove that be blessed Asia afterall he did choose St Francis the patron st of animals. :-)

Woof woof! Thumb up 33 Thumb down 0

March 18, 2013 11:29 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I’ not Catholic and haven’t had much use for popes but this man is GREAT

Woof woof! Thumb up 26 Thumb down 2

• March 18, 2013 12:48 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Nancy Janes

Please if you would sign this petition to end the suffering of animals being born into a world that has no place for them. Thank you!

Woof woof! Thumb up 8 Thumb down 2

March 18, 2013 2:25 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Denise in Dana Point

I believe St. Francis of Assisi would approve. WTG, Pope Francis…there is hope!

Woof woof! Thumb up 13 Thumb down 1

March 18, 2013 3:40 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Lovely story about the Pope and Asia.

Woof woof! Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

• March 18, 2013 4:22 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Linda M

I’m going to LOVE this Pope! Bless Benedict for stepping aside and thank
    God for putting Francis in place.

Woof woof! Thumb up 19 Thumb down 2

March 18, 2013 5:07 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

My tears fell when I read this news. I’m a dog lover and all pets. I just love them! I miss my Maltese Jiggy and Precious. . . .

Woof woof! Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

March 18, 2013 5:12 pmPosted 1 year ago
    junny barcenilla

My tears fell when I read this news. I’m a dog lover and all pets. I just love them!! I miss my Maltese Jiggy and Precious . . . . .

Viva Pope Francis !!!

Woof woof! Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

March 18, 2013 5:17 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Luca Mazzocco (@lukebdb)

Only a small correction the journalist is a man and his name is Alessandro …. please correct it :)

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 1

March 18, 2013 5:21 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 21

March 18, 2013 5:50 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Albany Rose

He would not show this kindness to a gay person? You realize he got death threats and cruel comments from other Catholics because he demanded the people begin treating gays with respect, as they are still human. They do not have to agree with homosexuality to be kind to them and treat them as what they are, human beings like the rest of us.

Woof woof! Thumb up 19 Thumb down 4

March 18, 2013 5:58 pmPosted 1 year ago
        Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 21

March 18, 2013 6:19 pmPosted 1 year ago
          Albany Rose

Clearly you suck at reading. As long as what the church says? Where did that even come from. Also, he never called gays the devil. How about you do a bit more research before you make yourself sound like an idiot. Show some proof.

Woof woof! Thumb up 17 Thumb down 2

March 18, 2013 6:34 pmPosted 1 year ago
            Fool!

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 22

March 18, 2013 6:43 pmPosted 1 year ago
            Anonymous

I am sorry he didn’t call gay ppl the Devil I’m copying what he did say. is also the same man who in no uncertain terms spoke of gay ‘marriage’ as a machination of the devil. And why does it come to you calling me names. Never called you a thing. Christian live at its best . I can get more if you would like. I notice you said nothing about the adoption and the abuse the church has let go on for so long. Funny how you did not say anything.

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 4

March 18, 2013 7:16 pmPosted 1 year ago
            Anonymous

And yes what the church says. Maybe you should read.

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

March 18, 2013 8:37 pmPosted 1 year ago
          Anonymous

if you have nothing positive to say…best to keep your mouth shut, otherwise you come across as an ignorant uneducated fool!

Thumb up 3 Thumb down 2

March 18, 2013 8:46 pmPosted 1 year ago
            Anonymous

Uneducated? I study religion. I can quote from many different religious books. So anytime you really want to talk, and I do mean talk. Because not one time have I called you anything. Your Christian love amazes me. So I pray that God opens the minds of some of his followers for right now they are closed.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

March 18, 2013 5:53 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 13

March 18, 2013 5:55 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 14

March 18, 2013 6:32 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

Yes he did say adoption by a homosexual person was child abuse because they would first all be deprived of both a mother and a father and secondly, I believe because they would be exposed to evil behavior that is being called good. When someones soul is at stake and not just their body one views things differently. He will not be popular with many who are outside the Body of Christ because he will stand against evil…..and yes homosexuality it evil. One can judge the behavior and not the heart of the person…the later is for God alone to judge, but we are to judge behavior.

Woof woof! Thumb up 12 Thumb down 3

March 18, 2013 6:49 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 12

March 18, 2013 7:28 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

We love Homosexual people but that does not change the fact that homosexual acts are evil. We love the sinner but hate the sin.

Also, if you investigated male homosexual child abuse in the public schools and the Boy Scouts etc. you would see that the problem is much more severe than it WAS in the Church.

Woof woof! Thumb up 13 Thumb down 3

March 18, 2013 7:38 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 9

March 22, 2013 12:08 amPosted 1 year ago
        Tim D.

To Anonymous: With respect, as a Catholic who is hardly perfect, I agree that priests who abuse children should be prosecuted, and their victims should receive counseling and financial compensation. Yet consider this 2002 studyby ex-Penn State Prof. Phillip Jenkins, an ex-Catholic, now Episcopalian. Over a 20 year period, his research found that married Christian clergy and NON-CLERGY (my emphasis added) were just as likely to molest kids as celibate Catholic priests. Further, about 10 years ago, the U.S. Dept. of Ed commisssioned a study about abuse of students in public schools. It was authored by Carol Shakeshaft, educational reseracher at VA Commonwealth University. She found that public school employees were more likely than priest to sexually haraass or rape syudents, and that the school principals often quietly transferred the offenders to other schools, withpout notifying th police. All child mlesters should be prosecuted. No one religion should be singled out. Respectfully, Tim D.

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

March 19, 2013 12:03 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Take your “religious” discussion somewhere else besides here. It’s a good story & your ugly comments are taking away from that.

Woof woof! Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

March 19, 2013 12:17 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

To that gay idipot and the others arguing, go find a rock and crawl under it.
    We are discussing a good story about a dog here. A service dog and it is very touching the new Pope blessed him! I like him already and give the man a chance, he just started for petes sake! God Bless Jesus and God bless ALL DOGS!!!!

Woof woof! Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

March 19, 2013 12:23 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Where did we lose the beauty of a man blessing a dog that does so much for another? Your conversation should be taken elsewhere and let the light be seen when it can.

Woof woof! Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

March 19, 2013 12:53 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 14

March 19, 2013 1:10 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

He is a man of God. Very humble :)

I will pray for you…

Woof woof! Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

• March 19, 2013 12:19 pmPosted 1 year ago
    HAROON

Regards we hope that u we always keepp us in your prayers andwee hope that u know Over problem in ”’PAKISTAN””??

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

March 22, 2013 9:14 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Beautiful to see a noble dog and the love
    and loyalty between Asia and her companion.
    She deserves a special blessing- she has
    a special mission on this earth. The Pope
    Affirmed this with his Blessing. There is a
    very special reason, dear to his heart
    That he chose Francis.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

March 23, 2013 2:27 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

he will be end the turturing of animals ..im so thankful thst God give us a pope who help to end turturing animals,, hope catholicism will srread throgout in the world

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

• March 24, 2013 3:01 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Love your dogs everyday and give them an extra belly scratch dogcameramount.com

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• March 31, 2013 1:53 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Morey

The new pope seems kind and generous of spirit. That fact that he is kind to dogs shows what kind of a person he is.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0