We know that Rachael Ray and Betty White are pit bull lovers, but here are 10 more celebrities you might not have known regularly snuggle up with pibbles.
1. Norman Reedus might kill zombies as Daryl on The Walking Dead, but he’d never hurt a dog! He was trying to convince producers of the show to let his character have a dog, but they knew everyone would pay more attention to his companion. And if the dog were to die? People would lose their minds.
2. Kaley Cuoco calls pit bulls “the greatest dogs in the world,” and has three rescues to prove it! She supports a number of pit bull advocacy groups and even had the groom’s cake for tennis pro hubby Ryan Sweeting designed as a giant tennis ball with their pups, Loretta, Norm, and Shirley.
3. Torrey Smith is a wide receiver for the Baltimore Ravens, and when he’s not on the field, he’s spending time with his dogs. Prince and Mama were both adopted from the Baltimore Animal Care and Rescue Shelter, which is just a football’s throw the stadium where he plays. He recently took part in the “Show Your Soft Side” campaign, which was launched to help show people that hurting animals doesn’t make them look hard.
4. Lake Bell, known from Children’s Hospital, Boston Legal, and No Strings Attached, loves her dogs Texas and Margaret so much that she made them “dogs of honor” at her wedding with artist Scott Campbell. She grew up with Dachshunds, but became a pit bull lover and foster fail with the crop-eared, overbred rescue dog, Margaret.
5. Danny Trejo – good with machetes and pit bulls. Not much scares him, and these dogs certainly don’t. One time he and his wife were driving down a street when they noticed ahead of them was a pit bull in the opened tailgate of a truck. The drivers were swerving to injure the dog for fun, and the couple made the men pull over – right in the parking lot of animal control. Trejo has a pit bull himself, and will not tolerate animal abuse.
6. Jennifer Aniston adopted a pit bull puppy last year from the Best Friends Animal Society, who fought to keep Michael Vick’s surviving dogs from being euthanized. She named her Sophie, because it felt like the situation in Sophie’s Choice to choose one and leave so many behind.
7. Kevin Bacon spends a lot of time with his girl, Lilly. So much, in fact, the two even have a synchronized dive that would put Olympians to shame! Sadly, the video featuring the “tandem canine-human diving event” that had been posted online is no longer available, so we’ll have to settle for a photo of a goofy hug instead.
8. Josh Hutcherson of The Hunger Games decided that he wanted to adopt a puppy – not just any kind of dog, but the most “beautiful” breed there is – a pit bull.
“He was actually going to be euthanized the day after I got him,” he said of Driver. “So it was kind of perfect timing how it worked out. There are so many dogs, so many puppy mills and you go to these shelters and you see these beautiful, great dogs that are about to be put down for no reason. And then people buy new dogs and it doesn’t make sense.”
9. Tom Brady looks tough on the field, but he’s a big softie when it comes to his pit bull. While out for a stroll, Lua hurt her paws on the salt and ice, so Brady scooped her up and put her in the stroller, and let his boot-wearing son walk.
10. Jessica Biel’s not shy about sharing her love for pit bull Tina. She even features her dog in an ongoing series on Twitter at #TuesdayswithTina. She affectionately refers to her pup as a “55-pound blanket.”