20-Year-Old Dog Back at Shelter She Was Adopted From

6.28.14 - 20-Year-Old Dog Back at Shelter She Was Adopted From

A dog who may be close to setting the record for oldest living dog is in need of a new home.  She was recently surrendered to the same California shelter she was adopted from years ago.

Jin Do is a 20-year-and-11-month-old female Korean Jindo, and isn’t new to the Baldwin Park Shelter – she was adopted from there years ago, but now her family has surrendered her.

The reason for the surrender is a mystery, but it has been said that the family is moving.  Many people have a few choice comments to make about dumping a senior dog at a shelter, but it is worth remembering that her family may have faced no other choice and may be heartbroken about having to make the decision to give her up.

What’s more important is finding Jin Do a new, quiet home.  She is well-behaved and is fairly healthy, albeit a bit underweight and suffering from arthritis.  She needs a soft, low bed and some love in the final stage of her life.

Jin Do is being kenneled at Los Angeles County Animal Control – Baldwin Park.  This is a HIGH-KILL SHELTER, so her time may be limited.  The Petharbor link is here, and her Facebook thread is here.  If you are interested in adopting this sweetheart, you must call the shelter at 626-962-3577.  Her ID number is A1451297.

14 thoughts on “20-Year-Old Dog Back at Shelter She Was Adopted From”

1. You NEVER give up a child!! Pets are children and they should be ashamed of themselves. I hate them! I wish I could take him. OMG this makes me so angry grrrrr >:/

2. Wish I was closer. I would take her right now. I am sure the family is heartbroken to have to give her up. It couldn’t have been an easy choice to make.

3. I agree with Mary Ellen. I would do the same. I accepted this responsibility of my dog until the end no matter what. I would feed him before myself. He & I are pretty inseparable. I would find a friend or family member to take him temporarily. Definitely never a shelter unless I could be in the cage with him. Lol! These people are obviously not concerned about the dog.

4. a riddle: if there really are THAT many dog-lovers.. why are the dogs still being killed in shelters??, yea, it’s not a riddle, you are sooo incisive, want a medal???!! if dogs are your love.. why is distance a problem?! why is there High Kill shelters?? with the world banging their heads through the wall, for Zoo’s doing their job, and doing it well, why don’t you bang your heads through the walls of the shelters?? petition the deathsentence away and shit.. be a people with a voice.. instead of a people, tapping away on your keyboards, hating Things, just to feel like being apart of something, anything.. without knowing shit about anything..

5. Let’s stop banging on about how bad some people are and start sharing this article so a Good Samaritan can look after this old boy.

6. I’d take the sweet thing if I didn’t live on the East coast. With reading all your judgemental comments without know the WHOLE story of why she was given up I ask you: Why don’t one of you take her??

7. The author of this report can make feeble excuses for the ones who abandoned this dog if she chooses, but it doesn’t change my opinion of them. Unless they are 100 years old and going into a nursing home that doesn’t allow dogs, in which case, I might have a gram of sympathy, it seems they could find a way to keep the dog or hold its paw while it is put to sleep surrounded by those who purport to love it.