Cab Driver Forces Service Dog To Ride In Trunk

A blind Denver woman says she’s scared to go out in public with her service dog after a cab driver made it ride in the trunk of his taxi.

Judie Brown says she called a cab about a month ago while rushing to make a appointment. When the Union Taxi pulled up in front of her home she and her service dog Alberto greeted the driver and were flatly denied service.

“He said, ‘No dog in my cab,’ ” said Brown. The driver told her that he was allergic to dogs and that if Alberto was to come along, he needed to ride in the back.

“I asked him, ‘Where in the back?’ And he said, ‘In the trunk,’ ” said Brown.

Running late for her appointment and taken off guard, Brown reluctantly allowed Alberto to be placed in the trunk of the car. “I never heard my dog whine or crying. Ever. Ever. I knew it was terribly wrong. If something happened to him. I would just die,” said Brown.

Brown filed a complaint, and according to local channel 7NEWS a manager with Union Taxi said the driver had been suspended and fined by the state.

Judie Brown said she’s having a hard time putting the incident behind her. “I’ve lost my independence. And I do not like it. It makes me angry. And I want it back,” said Brown.

52 thoughts on “Cab Driver Forces Service Dog To Ride In Trunk”

1. Man, I’d sue the crap out of that guy and the taxi service company. What is it with these cab drivers??? They’re morons.

• Ya know, I just don’t get it anymore! Where do these @#$%^&* idiots get off? Over the last few weeks it has been a major issue everywhere and on the news like crazy. You think by just watching TV they would know the law and that it pertains to them too. Everywhere we turn, service dogs and their owners have been denied. Wake up America!!!

2. That cab driver actually committed a federal offense. I hope she goes after him. She and her dog are federally protected.

3. You hear a lot of stories of folks being deinied services and entry to establishments due to the fact that they’re in the company of a service dog. Whether the handicap is readily visible or not, these folks deserve to be treated the same way any other paying customer is treated. Not only is it against the law, but it is socially irresponsible to disriiminate this way. What the hell is wrong with people?? As a child I was taught to respect, but never to bother or interfere with a service dog’s job or the person they’re servicing.

4. Why did she agree to put her dog in the trunk? I would never put my dogs in a trunk. I know she must have felt helpless, which is compounded by her disability, but she should have thought about it before doing something like that. No appointment is worth risking your dogs life. You have to stand up for yourself, and for your animals when and if the time comes.

• Agreed!!!! I would have taken the license plate number down and the drivers name is possible and the cab company. Once that was done I would have said “See ya” and called for another cab.

• Well I’m not sure if she could have done that, she’s blind. But…no, I wouldn’t have put my dog in the trunk no matter what! That’s kind of weird to me that she actually did that.

• Stacy sometime people do things out of the normal. when someone else is pushing you in a wall, some people fight coming out, some don’t me. I’m a fight, what about her.

• Boy, after much thought I feel really stupid. Julie (the women in the story) could not have done what I first suggested unless the driver would have verbally told her what his cab number and name were so she could have recorded that information in a cell phone; most likely he would have lied.

This goes to show that those who are not disabled really can’t automatically internalize the day to day difficulties of the disabled.

That said, I still can’t believe she allowed her service dog to be subjected to a ride in a trunk. There is no way I would have done that to any dog, appointment or not.

• she can’t write down what she can’t see , but she known the name of the cab company. For my understand it take hours make appt. she did not call in the first place she call RTD access who make the appt.

• Agree wholeheartedly. I would never put my dog in a dangerous situation like that. BOTH of these people lack any sense.

• Donna B this lady love her dog you can’t agree, do you know the whole story this lady have lots of sense and so do the cab driver the news did not tell the whole story but everyone in her area knows the true story you only heard bits.

• I absolutely have to agree with you. I do empathize with the position she was in but if you compromise on such an important issue, what else will you allow to happen to the dog or to yourself?

I know it’s easy to say “I would have done this or done that”, but honestly – who compromises their own safety and the very life of their dog by allowing this?

5. the cab driver was in the wrong. and the woman was spineless for going along with it! i’m tired of people just caving in and going along with something they know is wrong….then sueing after the fact.

• hey! what do you want her to do hit the man than the he could have pull out a gun and shot her and the dog. You can talk big online but some people are crazy. she and her dog are alive. but why should you care you aren’t blind. but maybe you are.

• All she had to do was say, “no thank-you. I’m not putting my dog in the trunk….” Then you call to reschedule your appointment.

I’m not saying I make the most rational responses every time I’m blindsided – no pun intended – by stupidity, but “no thank-you” is easy enough, non-offensive, and safer for the dog to be sure!

6. Ok, this disgraceful mistreatment of service dogs and their humans has gone too far! Is there only a minority of people knowledgeable about the law? We need to do something. Do our state senators know this is going on? Apparently a huge campaign needs to be launched to educate the public on the legal rights of people using service dogs.

Thanks LIfe with Dogs for bringing the frequency of mistreatment to our attention and highlighting how often the rights of disabled people with service dogs are being violated. This has become a weekly story and it is utterly and completely unacceptable!

Anyone of us could unexpectedly become disabled tomorrow.

• I carry the rights on a card downloaded from the goverment. I have demanded to talk to store managers. I have been in three airlines and countless cabs with my service dog. I always give them a heads up for their convience and mine, by telling them I have a large (145 pound) serice dog. This way there is no surprises. I called the police on a 7-11 store employee once. he yelled at me to take my dog out of the store.

7. What is wrong with the woman putting her dog in danger like that just because she didn’t want to be late going somewhere. Imagine how scared that poor dog must have been. She should have demanded another cab immediately.