Chinese Animal Activists Save Hundreds of Dogs from Being Eaten

Hundreds of dogs are being treated for numerous conditions after they were rescued from a trip to the slaughterhouse by activists in China.

The dogs were being transported by truck from China’s Henan Province to Jilin Province yesterday. Volunteers got word of the transport and set up a roadblock. The Beijing Evening News reports that after 15 hours of negotiation, more than 500 dogs were saved after animal lovers paid 115,000 yuan, or approximately US$17,000 to buy the dogs from the transport company.

“If we didn’t intervene, the dogs would have been slaughtered,” said An, one of the activists responsible for the rescue. “What we were thinking was that we should save their lives.”

Life With Dogs post end paw print

14 thoughts on “Chinese Animal Activists Save Hundreds of Dogs from Being Eaten”

1. The truck is not a lot different from the haulers they use for greyhounds (except there is only one dog per crate).

2. This is a very good story as it shows that China is starting to evolve into a pro-active society and that some are starting to take action against cruelty to animals. A big step for this society.

3. I feel physically ill, and am beyond words. Shame. That’s all I feel right now, utter shame. That my so called “fellow man” could even contemplate doing this fills my with disgust and overwhelming sadness. Thank god for the angels who saved them.

4. I read about this yesterday on another site and was angered to find that many of the Chinese believe that by eating dogs they gain some sort of health benefits. Once again, another example of how animals die due to ignorance and superstitions that have no base in reality.

Thank goodness for the wiser members of their society working tirelessly I am sure to change this climate of ignorant cruelty toward animals. I applaud their efforts in the fight to save our canine companions and to change a horrible activity rooted in complete false hoods.

Just the thought of this is painful to think about!

5. Your are right that this will be a battle to change the traditions of past generations but there is only one way forward and that is a break from the past. To me, one of the most disturbing parts in this report is that many of the dogs were stolen family pets. This is another indication of anarchy and incivility in a society.

Much remains the same in the far east as this is a common practice in many Asian countries. I was born and lived in the Philippines when my father was stationed there when he was in the air force. I remember we had a springer spaniel, “Robbie” that was loved by everyone but especially my mother who doted on him. Anyway, we we never allowed to leave him outside unattended because of my parents fear that although we lived on base he could be stolen and eaten by locals. That was a lot to understand and comprehend by someone as young as myself at the time, probably 6yrs old. Sadly not much has changed in 40 years.

6. Unfortunately most of them will probably die from the Distemper and Parvo this is a big step for a country like theirs. Also unfortunately, they may have paid more than the slaughterhouse for the dogs, therefore encouraging the people who are in the trade to come up with more in hopes of selling them to the rescue folks at a better profit.

My emotions went up and down a couple bzillion times during this story. I really hope the Chinese people are starting to wake up, and that this is a big step in the right direction. They do have a huge uphill battle ahead of them though.

I’m not nearly as negative a person as this sounds, but when I heard Parvo my heart sunk. Our local shelter had 10 puppies come in with Parvo some years back. They were two weeks old. My family got three of them, and the others were sent to other foster homes. Of the ten, the three I had were the only ones that lived, and they only lived because I took them to my own vet at my own expense, and spent hours nursing them back to health. One of them could not be set down at all for over 2 weeks or he would throw up. I don’t know if they have enough people to do that kind of round the clock care. I do wish them the best, and hope they keep trying.

• You are right that if most have parvo and distemper they will not survive. I spent 3 years as a veterinary surgical technician when I was working my way through college where I regularly saw cases of both. Although many pups don’t survive parvo, with intensive care much like you provided, or of course hospitalization (I spend many shifts replacing IV fluids as they get so dehydrated due to GI infection) they can survive this virus. But, there is no cure for distemper as it goes straight to the brain. The only humane thing to do is euthanasia and to make matters worse it is highly contagious which from the tight quarters of the transport truck in this story many more dogs were probably exposed. All this horrific sadness and yet a DhPP vaccine (Distemper, Parvo) is less than $10 per dog.

What is hopeful, is the actions of the animal activists who will now begin to change the mindset of the Chinese people who until now have not valued the lives of dogs. I applaud their efforts and I hope that our rescue organizations here will offer them support and guidance in their struggle to bring about change and a new age of animal welfare in China.

• I really do hope this is a step forward for them. Even if this one doesn’t work out as well as we hope, the fact that they tried is huge over there.

One of the things that we could do, is donate vaccinations. It could help in the future. They don’t travel well for long periods of time, but maybe just the funding to have them get them from someone over there that produces them.

I haven’t personally dealt with distemper, but it sounds like that’s a really good thing. I wouldn’t handle the heartbreak very well.

7. I am so glad to hear there is some activism on this! We hear the horror stories about animal abuse, but to find some people are trying to end age-old practices is very good news.