DDB Dogged by Controversy

Rescue organization Dogs Deserve Better is no stranger to controversy, but recent allegations by the group’s former national rescue coordinator may have far reaching implications in the long term health of the group.

Just a few short months after their acquisition of the former Michael Vick residence, a prior employee is questioning what she calls possible misappropriation of funds and a major shift in the organization’s mission. Shannon Allen, the group’s former national rescue coordinator, recently resigned over a number of concerns with DDB activities. “I don’t agree, a lot of people don’t agree with the rehab center, amount of money being spent there,” says Allen.

Allen says the organization’s founder, Tamira Thayne, told volunteers to stop rescuing needy dogs shortly after DDB relocated to the Virginia mansion formerly occupied by Michael Vick.

Allen says money from prior fundraising drives has gone missing, and she’s also troubled by a new DDB policy: only dogs who pass personality screening tests will be considered for rescue by DDB. “The point of a rehab center is to help dogs that don’t get along with other dogs and other people,” says Allen.

Allen says her concerns are  shared by many: she says that a few months ago, Dogs Deserve Better had over 150 rescue representatives in the US. Now that number has dwindled to less than 25. “A lot of people left because when we bought this fenced center, we were told to stop rescuing, that we couldn’t afford it anymore,” says Allen. “We want to rescue, that’s what we signed up for,” she said.

We attempted to contact Tamira Thayne for a rebuttal and are awaiting response: if it’s received you’ll find it here shortly. In the meantime, Thayne has responded to Allen’s allegations on her blog.

115 thoughts on “DDB Dogged by Controversy”

1. Just looking at that Thayne person makes me think she is no good. All that money spent on that place could have been spent on the animals. I think that Thayne just wanted to buy a new home for herself. I hope she is punished and made to pay back the money she has stolen. A carport for the DOGS. I didn’t know they drove themselves to that supposed rescue.

• The “Thayne” person took the suggestion of the disgruntled employee, Shannon and bought the property. It was Shannon’s idea!!

A carport COVER for the dogs. Have you ever seen the place?

• Why does it matter? There are a lot of people on her page, and many on the doctors page, but the Doctor deleted all of us and banned us from the page.

I believe the judge defended her when he threw out the cases.

• Oh, and PS: I will only further respond to you if you don’t post anonymously – too scared to out yourself?

• I am not the one posting above, but they have deleted and banned me. I am not scared to show by distaste for DDB, they bought a huge house saying it was for the dogs, but now because of the cost of the house, they can’t rescue anymore and will probably loose the house. Make sense? Nope.

• DDB is still actively rescuing chained dogs. A couple months ago there was a 6 week hiatus while they were moving HQ and revamping their volunteer rules. HTH

• Does that “Thayne person” always do what someone else suggests? You can’t put it on someone else whether they suggested it or not. She is suppose to make decisions by using her own brain. Don’t try to blame the mansion on someone else.

2. The so-called blog from “Anonymous” is chalked with lies and more cover up. Why couldn’t Thayne respond the reporter? Because she needed all night to “spin” the truth. Be patient, in deed… MORE to follow!

• Because this person has dragged her through court, LOST the case and has set up a Facebook page telling lies about her and the shelter.

If a reported called me and said “so and so is accusing you of this”, I sure would respond right away. I’d get all the facts and then make a statement. If you were smart enough to read the court documents, you’d see that it’s all there and the judge agreed.

The Doctor is accusing EVERY SINGLE DDB EMPLOYEE of perjury right on her FB info page. Ridiculous.

• The doctor is CAUSING most of the problems. If you have proof of DDB’s so-called problems, post them here.

• How about the fact that unless a huge amount of donations come in (to the tune of $600k) they will shortly loose the house. Was that Dr Fiala’s fault?

• The payments for the house are covered. There’s no danger of DDB losing the house. The nearly $200.000 raised for the down payment was donations made *specifically* for the house. No animals were deprived by the purchase of the house.

• Thanks for your replies Tamira Thayne. You are in some pretty hot water, and your blog is an amusingly bad attempt to blame your problems on somebody else! YOU will NEVER CHANGE…. Have you kicked any dogs lately Tamira CI Thayne?

• Then why is Dr. Fiala going page to page ranting that this is a victory for BJH? She swore she would stop at nothing to eradicate DDB after they took her foster dog and adopted him to a happy forever home.

• I don’t see the doctor mentioned this article. This report is about a DDB employee who resigned her position because of THAYNE and her idiotic antics. Can we stay on point with the article? THAYNE IS A MESS THAT NEEDS TO CLEANED UP. DONT LEAVE HER ALONE WITH POOR DOGS, SHE KCKS DOGS WHEN SHE GETS MAD.. THAT IS WHY THEY CAN’T BRING IN ABUSED DOGS.

• Claiming VICKtory? Who is using the Vick place for propaganda? THAYNE…

• yeah, sure Barbara…..all of this can be blamed on the Dr…..pretty handy excuse.
        THERE IS A FIREPLACE IN THE MASTER BATH AT THE VICK MANSION.
        Why would a dog need this? Nope, it’s Thayne, enjoying her lovely bath with money that could save a dogs life.

• OMG, you DID NOT just say that Barbara? My house doesn’t have a firepalce, oh wait, neither does it have a master bedroom or any of the other amenities that place does.

• Not only is she accusing DDB reps of perjury, she’s accusing well known animal activist attorney Adam Karp of perjuring himself and the just of corruption and probably taking bribes. All these people are risking prison time because they’re against Dr. Fiala.

• Does this article mention the doctor? NO! Quite blaming EVERYBODY ELSE… Life with Dogs, you need to investigate Thayne on your own.

• Anonymous – What are you talking about when you write:
          “Not only is she accusing DDB reps of perjury, she’s accusing well known animal activist attorney Adam Karp of perjuring himself and the just of corruption and probably taking bribes. All these people are risking prison time because they’re against Dr. Fiala.”

When has Dr. Fiala ever accused Karp of taking bribes? Where? Please share – I’m so curious to know

• Sorry Amelia. “just” was supposed to be “judge” and yes several supporters have said the judge was probably taking bribes and some even alleged they came fro Adam Karp’s “deep pockets”. You know that, so don’t be disingenuous.

• @ anonymous. First you defend your comment about the Dr accusing the attorney and the judge of taking bribes and corruption and than you say several supporters stated that. ‘The Dr’ or ‘ several supporters’, they are not the same, are they?

• The Dr. Has made those accusations, which have been parroted by her followers ever since. HTH

• Barbara, with all due respect. Tami was not dragged through court, DDB-WA reps were. The case was not as open and closed as you would like it to sounds, some of it was decided and some of it was dismissed by request of Dr. Fiala in a manner where it could be reheard at a later time. As far as accusing “EVERY SINGLE DDB EMPLOYEE of perjury”, well, not “every single” DDB employee went to court. In fact, none of DDBs employees (employees are paid mind you) went to court and only statements submitted as evidence were claimed to have been perjured … how many of those were submitted by actual employees? Get your facts straight, or at the very least learn how our criminal justice system works, namely perjury, allegation, dismissal, prejudice … start there and then get back to me.

• Tell me; did Dr. Fiala and her psychiatrist swear under oath that she suffered from PTSD and had been unable to work, sleep or eat since losing Joel and did she then lie to the medical board about it? Simple question, since I have her and her Dr.’s statements for both situations. I want to see *your* answer, okay?

• The doctor specifically stated on her facebook info page that EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE lied.

She has been unable to prove perjury. Show me her proof.

• Barbara – what Dr. Fiala said is that the DDB reps who testified perjured themselves – not EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE testified. So get your facts straight.

And to anyone using the name Anonymous – I won’t respond to you anymore. If you are too afraid to use your real name then you are not worthy of a response

• Please! So DDB won a court case…So did Casey Anthony. So did OJ. The justice system is obviously flawed.

And why are you accusing people of not doing a story on Shannon’s legal troubles. Obviously, a story was done on her already, dumbass! Typical DDB drone, trying to divert attention to something that’s totally irrelevant.

Did DDB have good intentions at one point? Yes. Have they lost their way? YES! Buying that property without ALL of the money needed to do with it what they promised was idiotic. What happens when they don’t raise all of the money needed to build the center? They continue to keep only 5 or 6 dogs in the house? And don’t give me that bull that there are 11 dogs there…They are Tami and Elaine’s PERSONAL dogs that are being fed on people’s donations. You people are pathetic.

• Accusers who are embezzlers are liars.

Not ONE of BJH’s supporters has shown any proof at all of their claims. NONE.

• I don’t really care much about BJH. I don’t understand why you are all trying to make this about only one group being against you. I didn’t lie about anything. What’s the answer to my question? What happens when they don’t raise all of the money needed to build the center? They continue to keep only 5 or 6 dogs in the house? What’s the plan? People donated to a rehab center, not a “McMansion” for Tami to live in.

• Wow. It must be hard for you when someone with your same name makes so much more sense than you. In fact, most of your posts haven’t really made any sense. It’s like a child that knows it’s wrong but just keeps going on and on anyways.

3. Barbara! Get a grip! Are you a major donor, DDB rep, DDB volunteer? You seem to be a VERY desperate person. RELAX AND BREATHE! LOL!

4. Barbara! When you catch your breath and get YOUR facts straight, you better head back to your ward. Lights out at 11, and the nurses will be looking for you.

• Wow – I love the personal attacks. No, not a supporter, donor or anything. I just believe facts when I read them, and so far the doctor hasn’t posted anything that proves her side. One disgruntled employee with no proof whatsoever means nothing. She loses in court and claims everyone lied. THAT sounds like a person with mental issues.

But go ahead and call me names, because it makes you look so mature. The doctor is actively blocking people with FACTS from her page. Go and join the Hitler Youth club – they operate on the same principals.

• Your Doctor? I though the nurses in the ward where keeping watch on you. I don’t know what Doctor you are talking about, but you are walking the tight rope of slander.

• When you step out of your anonymous stance, maybe you’ll make more sense.

Keep attacking me personally. You just look like an idiot.

• Idiot? WHO Looks like the idiot besides Thayne? You win the prize and the prozac.

• Barbara, DDB is just as guilty of deleting people … only they include folks who ask questions too if they don’t like the questions. Dr. F’s group, they don’t mind the questions, just keep the dialogue respectful.

• Bull! The doctor deleted me – and I’d love for her to show me the “disrespectful” post I made. Because I never made one.

• @ Barbara. So, you just believe facts when you read them but how do you know that they are facts? Is it just because these ‘facts’ are what you already think or are you actually personally involved? You say the Dr hasn’t proved anything she has said but unless you are personally involved or living in the mansion, how could you possibly have proof for the other side? I don’t know much except for what I’ve been reading here but the fact that so much was and is being spent on the mansion and that no pet rescues happened for six weeks (if that is true) because of the time and money involved taking over the mansion is enough to make me not trust the person or persons running this charity.

5. Dr. Fiala is a scorned adopter who harassed the DDB rep so bad they had to get a restraining order. Dr. Fiala penned and boarded Joel so DDB removed him and he is now in a loving furever home. Shannon Allen is angry because when DDB did purchase the new property, it was hard to fund her expenseive vetting that DDB had warned her about. Many of the vet visits were for dog fights because at one time Shannon had 16 dogs in her very small home. Shannon Allen has never met Tami or been to Good Newz, she is just mad that Tami cut her money off because she had become a hoarder. You people need to stop.

To Live with Dogs….shame on you for jumping on this trash. Allen says, Allen says….. DDB has done nothing. Maybe they had to put a hold on rescues right now to get this center up and running. I see Two Loons Rescue is full and their fosters are returning dogs. All rescues and people that rescue are full and finances are bad everywhere. Your article about DDB makes me sick.

• So, Mr ADMIN, you’re going to go examine DDB’s books? When? Will it be in time to stop the disgusting false allegations from being spread? Yeah, I don’t think so either.

• Yeah, well I am sure it’s already too late to see accurate records. I am sure by now the books are all doctored up to look like nothing has been done wrong. That is one of the greatest things DDB is good at.

• Oooh. Libel! You realize their tax returns have been submitted. You’re accusing someone of tax fraud, a felony. Since you’re “sure”, PPOSTFU, as the saying goes.

• Attacking the ADMIN now, huh? Is it NOW the ADMIN’s fault that THAYNE is being outed? Shame on you ADMIN. And I bet the doctor and you are in cahoots.

• I’m not attacking the ADMIN, I’m asking him if he’s going to do the research now that he’s already done the damage. You either can’t read, or you’re deliberately twisting what I said. Should we guess?

Obviously, there’s no point in discussing any of this with people who can only call names and refuse to provide *any* semblance of proof of their claims. I’m sure all the hundreds of thousands of DDB supporters wish you a good day.

• Unlike the other Barbara, I think you did a nice job. I am looking forward to you or someone else exposing them for what they really are…A BUNCH OF CROOKS! Like I said above, what happens when they don’t raise enough money to do what they promised. They had a really hard time raising the down payment and now they need to come up with over $3MM in additional donations??! If they don;t raise the money, donors that thought they were helping dogs wound up purchasing a mansion for Tami. It’s disgusting! No non-profit should be allowed to buy anything without ALL of the money that is needed up front!

• Thank you. As a volunteer, who spends much time at the center, I have started taking this issue personally. I bet over half of her minions have never even taken the time to look at court documents or DDB’s financials, to read actual facts. As for Shannon, I find it very amusing how she knows so much about a place she’s never stepped foot in. I have to say, I am quite envious of her colorful imagination. Lastly, the center is open to the public, everyday, from 9-5. If anyone was really interested in seeing the inner workings of the rehab, they would have long ago attempted to visit.

• You are a volunteer. You see what they want you to see. You should be in my shoes, a previous rescue worker for them, now stuck with vet bills they won’t pay because the center needs the money. You all make me sick.

• Are we reading the SAME article? Can someone point out where the doctor is mentioned? YOU DDB people are looking for a scapegoat. THAYNE IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!

• Clarification, the pen is larger than my apartment. Nowhere have I seen that she boarded him. I don’t give a flying fig about vetting expenses and their tie to Shannon because AT LEAST THAT MONEY WOULD HAVE GONE TO THE DOGS and not part of Tami and company’s salaries. Tami had a chance to respond for the articles and chose not to. She was invited by lifewithdogs and was sent a link to her blog. A blog does not allow for the question and answer nature of an interview Ms. Thayne …………. and where does this article talk about Joel anyways?

• You’re only stating what is in Tami’s blog…good job at stating another persons opinion. You are stealing what she said in her blog, and you didn’t even give her credit for this comment you left. I think that is called plagiarism. I mean really, you should have just copied and pasted Tami’s blog as your comment….

• Nicole

You’re only stating what is in Tami’s blog…good job at stating another persons opinion. You are stealing what she said in her blog, and you didn’t even give her credit for this comment you left. I think that is called plagiarism. I mean really, you should have just copied and pasted Tami’s blog as your comment……

• The line that says finances are bad everywhere is exactly why money should never have been used to buy the Vick mansion!! If this charity had that kind of extra money maybe they should have donated it to the charity that you mention and than more dogs could have been saved. I don’t care about this Dr case people are talking about but I do care that money is being spent on unneccesary frivolous comforts that are for the enjoyment of the humans involved. The dogs don’t care how nice their house is.

6. Barbara, you are a wound up lunatic. Chill out and stop harrassing everyone. You really need to get your facts straight. Nigel is a smart guy and will see right through your nonsense.