Dog Rescuer Sells All her Possessions to Keep her Fur-Family Together

Gail Calver (58) has been rescuing pets on her own for the past 25 years and like many other Americans, she has fallen on harsh economic times. Now, she is selling all she has in an attempt to buy a used RV and keep her fur-family together.

Calver lives in Syracuse, NY, and is the proud dog parent to an American Bulldog (Tugboat), an Alapaha Blueblood Bulldog (Madea), a Great Dane (Charlie) and a 40 pound mixed breed dog (Chopper). They have been living in the same house for 19 years now, but they soon will be homeless.

Gail Calver

Calver’s health deteriorated to a point where she was forced to stop working and consequently, she stopped making house payments.

“I became disabled after hurting my back,” said Calver. “I have three slipped disks in my back and neck, and need replacement surgery for both knees. I have worked every day of my life, sometimes two jobs, and now I am only 58 and find myself unemployable. My physical problems have forced me to stop rescuing, and this is very hard.”

Calver founded Snout-in-the-House rescue, and on weekends she participated in pet-adoption fairs held at Dog Daze Pet Shop.

Dave Sturgis, owner of Dog Daze Pet Shop, says Calver has been coming to his store for a few years now.

Currently, Calver and her dogs live off her social security disability benefits. She has tried to work with her home’s mortgage company by sending smaller payments, but the bank won’t accept anything but the complete payment.

What Calver wishes for, is to be able to keep her pets and live together under one roof.

“Anyone who rescues or owns pets knows they are yours for life,” said Calver. “I will not leave them and can’t leave them. They are my family and I will not abandon them for any reason.”

Calver plans to drive the camper to Florida during the winter months and park at a friend’s property. During the summer months, she will drive back up to Syracuse, NY. If she is able to able to buy the RV she plans to continue helping as many homeless animals as possible. She wants to transport rescued dogs between Florida and New York, while traveling with her mobile home.

The cost of the RV is $10,000 and so far Calver has raised $2,000. She continues to look for anyone willing to lend a helping hand.

“Forget about me and save my animals,” said Calver.

If you want to help Calver and her fur-family, you can make a donation via GoFundMe.com or FundRazr.com. You can learn more about her rescue work by visiting Snout-in-the-House.

36 thoughts on “Dog Rescuer Sells All her Possessions to Keep her Fur-Family Together”

1. I know what she’s going through. I had to rehome My loving companion Candy. I could not afford any Vet bill.

2. Let’s everyone share this on Facebook! Just a few dollars from MANY people can rally help.

God Bless her!

3. I feel for Gail…I rescue dogs and end up keeping some of them. I lost clients and half my income 6 months ago. It was really tight and I wondered only about my babies, where would they go. Thank GOD I don’t health issues so I’m able to find work. I’m not where I need to be yet and it’s a little tight, but I can’t complain too much since there’s people out there that are struggling way worse. My prayers are with you Gail…I pray things get better for you.

4. My heart goes to her. I just donated, please donate, no amount is too small. Imagine the stress she is enduring, please give. Please pray for her as well. A village of donors will rescue her and her dogs. I don’t know her and live many states away. It didn’t matter I was compelled to give after hearing her story and verifying from a local contact that knows her.

Give, it will matter to her.

• Thanks so much Debbie, with all the scams going on today I am glad to hear that you checked me out! Yup I am genuine and right now really wish that I was not in this position. But pride is on the back burner for me because my animals have always come first and they always will. Thanks for your support!

5. This makes me sick. and hurts other people, she didn’t just become injured.. so she should have stopped rescuing long ago,and apparently seeing the size dogs she takes her back is not that bad and there are services to help her. I can’t find anything on her rescue being 501c-3 or llc or anything. SO people are just going to help fund her getting a brand new RV?? really?? Unbelieveable…..

• No one requires you to be here and ‘apparently’ you have no idea what you are talking about because this is not a ‘brand new’ RV and these dogs have been with Gail for years.. Here’s another hint – gather facts before you judge – then at least you will look like you have an informed opinion.

• Jeanine. . are you an idiot or what. .do you know how to read ??? it is not a new RV its is an old one. . she ha been in that house 19 years ! social security only gives you about $700 a month to live an and maybe $150 in food stamps. if your lucky ! .Da ! I hope that God will punish you and he will punish you for being an such imbecile. . geez.
      One day .. you may find out what it is like to suddenly loose everything . . and you may not know this. . but. . you do need your health to hold a job ! She not only lost her health.
      but she is going to end up in a wheel chair and she is still wanting to help the animals in need by using her RV to transport cats and dogs to there forever homes !
      You are a heartless POS. . that has no right to speak about something you obviously did not READ ! GTH. .GB. . and FO !

• Thank you Sandy, some people just are suspicious naturally and really jump to conclusions. I feel sorry for Jeanine, that kind of attitude will only make her life miserable. I had to think about it tho, I wonder if she ever went out of her way to save another living breathing life or just sits back and watches the doers do? That is her choice and I hope that she never has to experience what I am experiencing right now. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I can only hope that something happens in her life that wakes her up and sees life a little differently. I kind of feel sorry for her.

• Jeanine,
      Apparently you don’t know very much about rescue. Those large dogs are my babys and I have had them for many, many yrs. I got rescued them when I was not disabled and trained them all. They all have good manners and Charlie the latest rescue is learning hers as well. They are not a problem physically for me and Charlie is learning to be my therapy dog. She helps me get up when I have to get on the floor for anything. I live alone and she has been a god send for me. She is also a rescue that came from a horrible situation in Pensacola, FL. I am not a 501c3 and never wanted to be. I don’t want a board of people who can tell me what to rescue and where to rescue. A 501c3 is just a piece of paper allowing you to use for taxes etc. I have rescued for over 25yrs working a full time job and a part time job. The part time job, (cleaning houses) supported my rescue ambitions. The RV is a 1997 and old, but it will fit all of my dogs, and my parrot Sachmo in there comfortably. We will all be under one roof, and if you think that it is going to be easy for us to live that way, so be it. You have no clue about what you are talking about and I hope that you never do. The people that have known me for so many yrs and people that have adopted dogs from me, know who I am and are happy to support my decision. I am being forced into this and am scared, so your comment does not help me mentally, believe me when I say I would not want anyone to go thru what life has dealt me. But am blessed to have more people who care and trust me than people like you who seem to have a bitter way of looking at others.

• And by the way, Jeanine, there are many, many 501c3 that are abusing animals, making money off them, and should not be rescuing. Do your homework.

• Jeanine, you don’t know the first think of being a human being helping another human being. I have been in Gails shoes. My husband and I lost everything we worked for in 2009. We lived in our RV….Crap happens to good people…It could happen to you. Hope it doesn’t.

• Jeanine: I truly feel sorry for you that you were both without a heart..Life can change is a split second….I only hope nothing bad happens in your life, I do not believe maybe people would stand up and help you..Remember what goes around come around…Karma is scary and your comments are uncalled for when you do not have a clue as to what happened.

• She isn’t trying for a brand new. She has helped save animals for years. There are no services to help her. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to help people who want to help themselves. They help the bums on welfare that suck the system dry and keep popping out kids. Leave her the hell alone. No one gives a shit what the hell you have to say. Go get sick elsewhere.

6. Jeanie,
    NO one expects you to help if you are not comfy doing so. Gail is a well respected & well known rescue among those of us that do this full time. If you don’t want to help, don’t, just go away… Better for all of us. so sorry Gail ,Having gone through something similar myself & YOU know I know how much you do. Hang in there WE will continue to share. Thanks for all YOU do.