Dog Saves Four-year-Old from House Fire

Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.

Four year-old Iván Saúl Silva Alonzo from Monterrey, Mexico, almost died in his sleep when his house caught fire after a fan malfunctioned. The toddler, who was home alone at the time of the accident, was woken up by Rosco a Golden Retriever mix who barked until the child woke up and ran to safety. The dog risked his life, burning 30% of his body, to save the little boy.

Photo credit: Grupo Reforma/YouTube
Photo credit: Grupo Reforma/YouTube

According to Canal 44 Iván and his parents went to a party near their home, but when the child fell asleep they dropped off the sleepy child and went back to the party. While home alone, a fan in the home malfunctioned and the fire started.

Roscoe was tied outside and started barking non-stop sounding off the alarm. Neighbors ran to inform Iván’s parents that their house was on fire. By the time they arrived at the scene, the child was already safe outside the burning home.

Photo credit: Grupo Reforma/YouTube
Photo credit: Grupo Reforma/YouTube

The dog knew the little boy was in danger and broke lose from his tethered to run inside the house and wake up the boy. The Golden Retriever mix barked and barked until Iván woke up and ran outside. Unfortunately, the heroic dog was caught in the flames and as he ran to safety, he singed the right side of his torso and face, burning 30% of his body.

The dog was rushed to a veterinarian where he was cared for. The Silva Alonzo family lost it all in the fire, but not their son. The parents were glad Rosco, now known as Valente (meaning brave), became their son’s hero that night.

79 thoughts on “Dog Saves Four-year-Old from House Fire”

Leave a Comment