French Bulldog Dies While Getting Ears Cleaned at Vet

Jan Holtz walks her new dog, Leo, in her South Tampa neighborhood. She says he’s good for her. “Definitely heals the ache in your heart,” she says, tapping her chest.

Holtz is heartbroken over the sudden loss of her previous dog, Lilly. Lilly went into a local Banfield Pet Hospital last month for routine ear cleaning – and never came out.

She describes the incident as horrific. “One minute healthy, the next vomiting blood.” She says that she dropped Lilly off and was browsing the store aisles for some time before she was paged. When she returned to the hospital Lilly was near death.

Holtz demanded that Banfield perform a necropsy, but she still doesn’t have any answers. “All I can assume is they strangled her, trying to hold her down trying to clean her ears,” she says.

She also says that after losing a loved one, compensation, an apology, and some answers are required. “If I have to, I’ll stand out in front of the store with a sign saying, ‘You killed my dog,” says Holtz. “I’m not going away.”

15 thoughts on “French Bulldog Dies While Getting Ears Cleaned at Vet”

1. Not ALL doctors are the same, not ALL hospitals are the same, not ALL vet centers are the same. You need to find the one that you feel the most comfortable with because of the people, same as we do with doctors and doctor’s offices. It is not fair to bash ALL Banfield Vet Hospitals, because they are not ALL a like. I take my pets to a Banfield & love the people who work there. They take care of my pets.

2. I would not take my new puppy to the same vet that killed the first one. Period. I don’t care if it’s free! Shame on her!

3. WHY WHY WHY do people keep taking their pets to Banfield vets at PetSmart???!!! Find a good, INDEPENDENT vet or two and avoid Banfield at all costs. It WILL save your pet’s life. Google all the horrific things that have happened at Banfield vet centers!

4. I used Banfield in the past but when I had an emergency I called and the recording said they open at 8. called and called and called till 9 got the same recording no answer. I was freaking out. Found Abbott Animal Hospital in they city where I live . they took me right away and we have been there since. I love my dogs vet.

5. I have my dogs ears cleaned at the groomers in Petsmart when they get their nails clipped. It’s done right in front of me and I can watch the whole thing. One of my dogs hates her front nails cut for some reason and they always say “she needs a friend with her when they do it” another one of the employees comes over and distracts her and it’s no issue. I know they are not going to try to strangle her in front of me

6. Learn to do simple things like ear cleaning and nail clipping yourself. Your dog knows and trusts you. Take it slow and acclimate them. My beagle runs when he sees the ear cleaning bottle but he eventually takes it. Same with his nails I do one or two feet. Put the clippers away until the next night.

• you are so right, i was just thinking does anyone do their own dogs ears and nails? i do mine all the time, i have one that dont like it so i put a surgery hood like they use when your dog has a eye surgery so if he did decide to nip i can stop in time, i do two paws on him and give a treat and come back the next day and do two more, and a treat, works great, and i clean ears with no problem, why pay the vets to stress out your pet when he trust you more than anyone? i can do three dogs nails and their ears in less than 10 min, and no trip to upset them at the vet,

• Hear, Hear!!! I have NEVER in 48 years owned a dog who had to be taken to the vet or groomer for nails, ears AND TEETH!!! My dogs are taught from the first that I am Alpha…NOT RULER OR ABUSER!!!! and they all acclimated very well…I owned Springer Spaniels who wouldn;’t stay out of the pool so we had a lot of icky ears and I know it hurt sometimes. But they were all very good. Surprisingly, the new rescue dog I have is a POMERANIAN who weighs just 4.8 lbs and SHE gives me the most trouble of all my dogs. I have employed 1 paw per night as a plan and she has accepted it. Only bad thing is she won’t let me NEAR her mouth. Ears no problem, Dingleberries, No problem, Nails 1 at a time but her mouth….its freak out time!!! I am so afraid I am going to hurt her that I just give up…She is the smallest dog I have had. My daughter worked for a short time at a Banfield. By rights I should have taken my dog there. But I thought about it and said no way. BTW My daughter is now working for The SPCA here in our county and is going to college to study law enforcement and veterinary medicine. She wants to be an Animal Cop!!!