Heroic Elderly Dog Sacrifices Himself for His Family

Hannah Bochart of Haines, Alaska recently dealt with the loss of her beloved dog, Mason.  But during her grief, she penned the most touching tribute, and the story of his life and death is incredible:

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason1

This is Steve Mason, the most incredible dog I have ever met and my best friend of the past 16 years. And this is the story of how he died saving my life one last time.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason2

Steve Mason, “Mason” to his friends was a Husky, Lab, Rottweiler mutt with insanely fluffy ears and markings on his face that made it look like he was always wearing Harry Potter specs. I picked him out of a litter of puppies because while all the others yipped and squealed and played, he was the only one to stop and snuffle the flowers.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason3

He and I went on enough adventures to shame the Fellowship, and hit the top of more mountains than I can honestly remember. He always had this way of perking up his ears that could spur me to keep going, either to the top of a ridge line or out of whatever ridiculous angst I found myself muddled in.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason4

He was obsessed with shortening sticks and tearing up any cardboard he could find. He was extremely meticulous and many a vacuum cleaner died trying to tidy up his messes.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason5

Mason was a best friend and rock steady companion for my older brother and a traveling companion like no other. And every time he saw my brother, even if five years had gone by, he’d still try and jump in his arms like a puppy.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason6

Everyone who met him came away saying that he was a remarkable dog, and many could honestly say he was the nicest person they’d ever met.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason7

Over the past two years he began to show his age. His hearing and much of his eyesight abandoned him, along with his sense of balance.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason8

I kept expecting him to die in his sleep or collapse on a hike.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason10

My worst fear was that he would grow so old and infirm that we’d have to put him down. I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to go through what I’ve had to do for so many other dogs with him. He was far too special. He just seemed so old.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason11

But he just kept on going, refusing to take it easy. He moved slower, and couldn’t go as far, but he never seemed to mind.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason12

This winter I’d been sure to get as many adventures in with him as possible, knowing our days together might be numbered. On March 5th, he and I, along with my family’s three younger dogs took off for what was meant to be a quick hike around our property before I had to go to work.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason13

We were about a mile from home on our snowshoe trail when I noticed a figure following us about a quarter mile back. I recognized it as a wolf right away. I hadn’t seen a wolf in my valley for about fifteen years, but wolves are shy and usually hide from humans, especially one with four dogs. Trying to be respectful, I turned us towards home, thinking we’d give the wolf room to escape and think no more about it.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason14

A few minutes later the littlest dog gave a bark and I turned to see the wolf standing five feet behind us. She was huge, her shoulder nearly coming up to my hip. She looked scared but determined, and most of all she looked hungry. We were in trouble. She attacked and we spent the next twenty minutes trying to fight her off. I was hitting her with my ski poles while the dogs nipped and tried to avoid her teeth. She was weak but a good fighter.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason15

Mason and I ended up fighting side-by-side. The wolf kept staring me in the eyes, but it was clear she was after the dogs. She finally pinned the smallest dog and Mason lunged at her. Suddenly my frail old man looked huge, bigger than I’d ever seen him before. He knocked her off the puppy, but she got Mason by the throat. It was over in a split second. I have never screamed so loud. Every fiber in my being was telling me to kill her, stab her in the eye, tear her throat out if I could. But that would have only gotten me killed too, and there were three other dogs I had to get out of there. It was too late anyway. He was dead and she was eating him.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason16

This is the wolf. This picture was taken the morning after by some guards and the nearby border station when she wandered past. Though all I wanted to do in the moment was kill her, she really is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. And now that it’s done, I hold no hate for her. She was starving to death and did what she had to to survive. I think she went into the fight knowing she might be the one to get killed, and it was simply the luck of the draw that she got him first. I only hope she leaves this valley safely.

3.19.14 - Eulogy for Steve Mason17

I miss Mason like there is a hole in my chest. Though I know there was nothing else I could have done, I can’t escape the thought that I failed to save him. But most dogs at sixteen die by the fireside, slowly and painfully of old age. Mason went out of this world like a thunderbolt, saving my life and the lives of the three younger dogs. He was my puppy, my “grizzly”, my brother, my friend, and he died as he lived: My hero. I love you, buddy. Goodbye.

0 thoughts on “Heroic Elderly Dog Sacrifices Himself for His Family”

1. Absolutely beautiful dog and such an amazing story. we should all be so lucky to have such a love in our lives and to be able to live this world saving the ones we love instead of in pain and old age

2. And by not properly taking care of that wolf which showed no fear of humans, dogs, etc it will now probably attack and kill a human/dog again. And a person doesn’t carry a firearm walking around the dangerous wilds of Alaska for personal protection? Nice job, tree hugger. You should’ve gone down with your faithful dog. Unreal. Did you give the wolf some salt and pepper with a handy napkin to go with “Tartar Family Dog”?

• To the Anonymous that left such a cruel and heartless message:
      The proper way to speak to a human being is to offer compassionate advice, not hurtful criticism during a time of hurt and loss. There are so many ways to have “doled this out”…this was not the way. What must you think of yourself? That you’re improving the world one nasty comment at a time?

• what a dumb comment–no doubt you belong to the group that wants to kill all wildlife and wishes to “pack heat” in your holster every where you go–even to bed.

• The only sentence I would even give you a modicum of credit for is the first one. A wild animal that loses fear of humans can become problematic. That said, nothing about your post is worth repeating and all you have proven yourself to be is an ignorant troll. I have way more respect for that wolf than an opinionated, ideological coward who hides behind a keyboard. And just reading from your post, I can already tell you don’t know nearly as much about wildlife as you think you do. Want to try to pass yourself off as some kind of an Alaskan wilderness expert? How about trying to pass yourself off as a decent human being? My take is you would fail at both. Good day.

• Aren’t you an idiot. Wolves are naturally afraid of humans scumbag. That one was obviously starving and looking for an easy kill. She said it was her first wolf encounter in SIXTEEN Year douche. Get a clue will you. Not everyone have the urge to kill unlike scums like you. Stupid wolf hater.

3. So anonymous, where did you get your wolf “education?” I’m guessing from some other ignorant ass. If you’re starving, you’ll do anything for food, yes YOU. This wolf faced a great deal of danger approaching a human and four dogs, she was clearly starving so she did what she had to…her next meal will most likely be something in her food chain.

What I’d really like to get rid of are people like you – no knowledge of wildlife, or interest in gaining any – whose answer to every problem is “kill it.” You’re a scar on the face of humanity. The wolf has outstanding bloodlines, yours are scum.

• Where did you get your wolf education? Please enlighten us. It sounds like you’re putting human attributes on to a wild animal which if you ask any animal behaviorist is wrong.

• Speaking off enlightenment, standing up for an ignorant coward like anonymous says all the wrong things about your moral compass. Maybe you should be asking why a fellow human could show such complete ignorance and lack of sympathy to someone who is willing to share her story, instead of pondering who knows more about wolves than whom.

4. This is a horrible thing that happened. I just read a story on my local news about coyotes killing someones dog in their yard, I am getting afraid to let my dogs out even tho I watch them like a hawk when they are out.

5. Such a sad and yet beautiful story! I’m literally sitting here with tears rolling down my face as I read your story. Such a heroic soul your Mason. RIP Steve Mason. Thank you for sharing your story.

6. R.I.P Mason, you were a good and brave companion, you will be missed, you were blessed with a long and loving life, you left this world a true Hero, protecting the person who protected you all of your life, I don’t think you would have had it any other way…You will be missed sweet one..

7. One thing’s for sure is this is a sad story. Hard to pinpoint what is/isn’t right to do. If I’m roaming the wilds of Alaska with my dogs, I’m carrying a firearm for my and their protection. Period. But that’s this woman’s choice and maybe she’s unable/unwilling to do such a thing. But the one thing I just don’t get is all the support of Mason’s ultimate fate. Why does it seem better for a dog to die by being torn to shreds by a wolf in the wild rather than peacefully at home or in a doctor’s office with its loving family? That’s the one thing that bothers me the most about all the comments here and on LWD’s FB page.

• Ray, I agree with the sentiments of others here and was in tears reading what happened to this kind soul and her dog, but I feel compelled to respond only to you.

Chances are that Mason did not die from being “torn to shreds”. Because of his age and frailty he more likely died from the shock of the adrenalin rush to his heart. But, I believe there is some part of every being that wants to go out in a blaze of glory, ending life with a magnificent and noble act of bravery that benefits those we love. I believe that Mason would be so happy and proud to know that he lived as long as he did, putting up the poor eyesight, dulled hearing, arthritis, weak heart and the pains that come with age, in order to still be there to save the lives of those he loved. Please do not begrudge him that. His good, long life was ended by a final sacrifice to those who loved him and those he loved. Dogs willingly make that sacrifice. Applaud him, mourn for him, but appreciate that he made a choice and ended his life in a grand way. He was a hero of the highest order.

• I think it is absolutely disgusting that you would place your dog at risk considering his age, dedication and loyalty. This is a form of animal neglect and YOU should be absolutely ashamed of yourself for having an elder dog get killed in this fashion. YOU would have been more humane putting him to sleep WITHOUT SUFFERING. Dog owners like this make me SICK!