With Black Friday just around the corner, Rover.com, the nation’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers, has been collecting data so they can share tips to make the holidays bright, beautiful, and safe for you and your pets.
With so many people traveling to visit loved ones, the option to take Fido or Tiger along may not be an option, not to mention holiday events that may keep folks away for lengthy periods. While some people have already booked their pet sitters and dog walkers, it’s not too late to think ahead. With that in mind, her are a few interesting facts:
- Among the most popular pet sitters on Rover, 10% already received a holiday booking by July 28 and 50% booked holiday stays by October 3.
- For Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years, Rover.com’s data shows that pet parents start looking for a pet sitter in mid-October. To beat the holiday rush, you should book by November 16 to lock in your preferred sitter.
- But, for the last minute planners, do not fret, there will likely be sitters or walkers.
To add to that, check out these helpful tips and hints Rover.com has collected:
Rover Holiday Booking Data
- The sweet spot for booking holiday pet care is by November 16.
o For Christmas, Hanukkah and New Year’s travel, our data shows that pet parents start looking for a pet sitter in mid-October. To be ahead of the curve, we recommend booking in advance of November 16.
o Among the most popular pet sitters on Rover, 10% have already received a holiday booking by July 28 and 50% booked holiday stays by October 3.
o If you’re traveling for Thanksgiving, ideally you should book by October 31 to lock in your preferred sitter, but with over 65,000 sitters in our network, you should be able to find someone even if you have waited.
- Holiday Booking Trends
o The holidays are the most popular time for needing a pet sitter or dog walker. The average number of requests for pet care grew 40% during November and December 2015 compared to the rest of the year.
o A third of all owners who booked a stay on Rover last year booked a stay during the holidays.
o Rover.com is quickly becoming the “go to” solution for pet parents – 28% of all owners who booked a stay for Thanksgiving last year also booked a stay for Christmas.
Finding the Right Sitter/Price During the Holidays
- To find the right pet sitter or dog walker during the holidays, Rover recommends:
o Start Your Search Early: Generally speaking, the prime booking window for pet sitting or dog board is 4-6 weeks out from your travel date. Starting early gives you the best chance of finding a sitter who’s available on your selected dates.
o Read Reviews and Look at Community Ratings: Read sitter reviews and testimonials and browse their photos to learn how a sitter is likely to care for your pet. Sitters with a 5-star ratings are our highest rated sitters, and all new sitters complete a background check.
o Identify 2-3 Sitter Options: Contact 2-3 sitters who fit the profile you are looking for so that you have lots of options when you book your first service. Now is a great time to discuss your dog’s personality, preferences and any special needs to see if the sitter is a fit.
o Schedule a Meet & Greet: Schedule meet and greets to observe how the sitters get along with your pet and determine which sitter is the best fit.
o Book & Pay Through Rover: With the Rover app or website you can search for and book a sitter, pay securely and receive photo and text updates while you’re away. Plus every booking is backed by insurance and 24/7 support.
- We also provide additional customer support for pet parents who are booking last minute or have dogs with special needs.
- For sitters, suggested holiday rates automatically apply to bookings that happen over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years but pet sitters and dog walkers can always adjust the services and rates they offer.
- The great thing about using Rover is that each dog sitter and walker sets his or her own rate, so pet parents can always find someone who is within their price range. Generally, Rover sitters and walkers are more affordable than other pet care services.
With all those great thoughts in mind, visit Rover.com for more information and to see how you can find a great pet sitter or dog walker for your household, not just for the holidays, but year ’round, too!