House Bill Spares Pit Bulls from Vicious Dog Designation

The Ohio house has passed a new law that would change the state’s definition of dangerous dogs and give Ohio’s persecuted pit bulls a break.

Butler County Dog Warden Julie Holmes says the bill is long overdue. “It’s not that they’re anymore or less aggressive than any other breed of dog, there is just more numbers of them than any other breed of dog,” said Holmes.

Ohio law currently defines a vicious dog as one that hurts or kills a person, kills another dog or is among those commonly known as pit bulls.

Despite the fact that his five-year-old son was bitten by a pit bull earlier this week, Middletown resident and dog owner Josh Schlaht agrees with Holmes. “I’ve always believed that it’s not the dog that makes bad decisions, its the owner that makes bad decisions training them,” said Schlaht.

House Bill 14 will now be considered by the Senate.

30 thoughts on “House Bill Spares Pit Bulls from Vicious Dog Designation”

1. Amen Melissa…. The people that do the most inhumane acts to an innocent animal, give them the bad rap. I must admit, that because of the ignorant people i’m terrified of Pit Bulls. . . Its something I have to over come. I do stand by fair treatment & Pit Bulls do deserve Justice.

2. Kudos to the father of the kid attacked for having sense! However, if he didn’t own pits, I wonder if his tune would be different

3. Kudos to the father of the kid attacked for having sense! However, if he didn’t own pits, I wonder if his tune would be different

4. YEAH _ to my FORMER state … OUTLAW the PEOPLE that train the BULLYS to FIGHT not the DOG! The Pitty is a “QUICKER LICKER UPPER” by nature ~ not a FIGHTER ~ Hopefully all the other STATES will follow suit and save these WONDERFUL BABIES!!! <3l

5. YEAH _ to my FORMER state … OUTLAW the PEOPLE that train the BULLYS to FIGHT not the DOG! The Pitty is a “QUICKER LICKER UPPER” by nature ~ not a FIGHTER ~ Hopefully all the other STATES will follow suit and save these WONDERFUL BABIES!!! <3l

6. At the risk of sounding like a broken record. “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.” — Martin Luther King Jr. “Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don’t understand them, I will translate. If you don’t hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian God Bless all that take up the fight, for those that can’t fight for themselves. Know in your heart, you are on the side of a greater justice…Truth, Joy, and Misery, reads the same, in all tongues, and across all times. From the dawn of time, dogs have been mankind’s oldest partners in the history of our survival. In peace, in the hunt, in the safety of our homes, and in man’s war on his brothers.. With great shame, look at how we treat these friends, and life partners… It crushes me, and my sensibilities. Will