Idaho Pug Saves Family from Fire; Wins “Hometown Hero Award”

Life With Dogs is reader-supported. We may earn a small commission through products purchased using links on this page.

———————————————————————————————————————

An 11-year-old pug is being hailed a hero in Meridian, ID, this week. Jaxon the pug noticed something weird was up with one of his family’s outlets, which had begun sparking.

And with the sparking, came the barking!

Owners Mikaela Sebree and Todd Lavoie hadn’t noticed the imminent danger. It was Jaxon who let them know something was amiss.

“Dogs have different kinds of barks, so he has his ‘somebody’s at the door’ bark and then he has his ‘holy crap, something’s happening’ bark,” Sebree told CNN affiliate KBOI.

It was the latter sort that alerted Lavoie of a problem. When he found the outlet, sparks were already turning into flames. He took care of the blaze with a fire extinguisher.

Then the Meridian Fire Department arrived.

“Certainly his actions and the actions of this dog saved that house from potentially igniting and catching on fire and going up into walls and up into the attic and causing significant damage,” said Meridian fire chief Mark Niemeyer.

Action Jaxon! This alert pug has been lauded as a Hometown Hero in Meridian, Idaho. Photo: KBOI
Action Jaxon! This alert pug has been lauded as a Hometown Hero in Meridian, Idaho. Photo: KBOI

———————————————————————————————————————

“Jaxon is definitely a super pug; he deserves the hometown hero,” Lavoie said. “He saved our house, he saved our lives and he saved our memories.”

For his bravery and quick thinking, Jaxon was bestowed with the “Hometown Hero Award,” along with an official probationary firefighter badge.

Take that, dalmatians!

Leave a Comment