Madonna of the Mills

America has a nasty secret. All of those cute puppies that are sold in pet stores come from “puppy mills.” Their mothers spend their entire lives in a tiny, unsanitary cages, never walked, never petted, never doing anything but making puppies. When these dogs can no longer produce litters or money for their owners, they are put to death – stoned, shot, drowned or starved.

“Madonna of the Mills” is a documentary about Laura, an office manager from Staten Island, who stumbled on this secret four years ago and vowed to save as many of these breeding dogs as she possibly could. Laura has now rescued over 2,000 dogs from Amish and Mennonite farmers in Pennsylvania. In the process, she has forever changed her life and the lives of those families fortunate enough to adopt one of these remarkable “puppy mill” survivors.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

0 thoughts on “Madonna of the Mills”

1. The group we volunteer for Doberman Assistance Network have been taking any of the breeders that are no longer wanted from these vile humans. It is so disheartening when we get theses babies home and try to comfort them. It will truly bring anyone to tears!

WHAT CAN YOU DO? — When anyone starts to talk about bringing a dog into their family (in the waiting line, doctors office ANYWHERE) you can interject into the conversation about these poor dogs plight and to suggest getting their dog from a Rescue (if they want a pure breed) or the local shelter.

If we all open the dialogue about this the dirty little secret wont be a secret any longer and we can truly get regulations in order to ensure ethical treatment of these poor dogs! It is up to us to make a difference in this world so start talking!! Start sharing this blog page. Share the YouTube video of Laura!

2. Laura Flynn is a saint and a hero. I just viewed the trailer and those dogs faces will haunt me.
    I am against buying puppies (and kittens) from pet stores, knowing that the “merchandise” comes from a puppy mill. I have really issues with regarding companion animals as property. My children aren’t my property, neither are my dogs and the cat. They are my family members and I am responsible for them. Rescue and adopt are the only way to go. Boycotting and education are some of the actions you can take. But what happens to those poor little puppies that no one will buy anymore? It’s misery tenfold, a devil’s circle. What I really don’t get is the mentality especially of the Amish and Mennonites, present themselves as God fearing people but commit such crimes against His creation and pay tribute to one of the seven deadly sins: GREED. I can’t help it, but each time I see pictures of puppy mills I have to think “concentration camp”.

3. I Can’t stop crying thinking about these beautiful loving animals being treated lie this.! she is truly a saint.)

4. How sad that this is still going on. Thanks for championing this cause. We all have to do our share to shut these puppy mills down forever. We need to infuence our legislators to recognize that this is a huge problem that involves cruety to animals, which itself is illegal.

5. I grew up in the areas of PA that Laura rescues from, I now live in another state. So many of the farmers there and people who have these mills look at dogs as just another livestock, like cows, chicken, etc. I have always been a dog lover, my dogs are my family, and I commend her efforts. Every dog she can save is a blessing. I look forward to seeing the documentary…..and Laura… you wil always be in my prayers.

6. If Abby could talk, this is what she would tell you…the dogs in this film had it better than me…I lived in a cage 2 feet off the ground. My cage of chicken wire was so small that my head rubbed the top, so because of that and cheap food, my ears will never be like other GSD’s…they won’t stand up. My feet never touched the ground in my whole 10 wks of life, I was never touched by a human, never played with, and was taken from my mother far too young. My mommy found me by accident and she told my dad that she would not leave me there. It has been a challenge for me, but thanks to a good trainer and lots of luv from my parents, I very much better ’cause I am luved lots. I was lucky and blessed. Most are not. Good work Laura, and thank you.

7. I could never thought that in USA something like that could exist. For me ( I live in Brazil), USA is the country when animals rights are respected and they are protected from any kind of cruelty. I am horrified. Please, do something. Try, through your congress men, to prohibit the existence of these puppy mills. And spread the idea of not buying animals from pet shops.