Man Under Investigation After Tattooing His Puppy

KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather

A North Carolina man is under investigation after he gave his four-month-old pit bull a tattoo.

Ernesto Rodriguez says he loves his dog like they were his children. After posting a photo on Facebook of a tattoo he gave his puppy, Duchess, people are questioning that. Rodriguez gave the puppy an intricate tattoo for identification purposes he says. His other dog Duke has one too. “They both have it. Thy both have their tattoos on them just in case anything happens,” said Rodriguez.

Rodriguez says he gave Duchess that tattoo after taking her to the vet to get her ears clipped and he insists that Duchess was asleep for the whole procedure. “I took her to the shop, tattooed her, and she slept the rest of the day,” he said. Animal advocates, like Caleb Scott, don’t think Rodriguez’s story makes sense. “Really that’s kind of suspicious in my mind,” said Scott. “Usually when you pick up a dog or cats they’re already awake after the procedure. They don’t usually hand you over a dog that is asleep.” Scott also thinks Rodriguez’s story has changed. “On his first Facebook post he said he was bored and tattooing. I think now he’s backpedaling, saying he’s identifying it.”

When Rodriguez was asked if he regretted his decision he responded, “No, not at all. I’ll do it again to my next dogs.” Rodriguez stands firm in his decision to tattoo Duchess despite the backlash he’s received from people all over the country. “It’s just like judging someone for wearing a tattoo,” he said. “You judge and you think that they’re bad people. It’s not. It’s just art. I’m an artist, I want to put art on my dogs. She was already asleep, so I took advantage of that.”

Local authorities are investigating after someone filed a complaint. No charges have been filed yet.

30 thoughts on “Man Under Investigation After Tattooing His Puppy”

1. I am a animal lover,we have had many dogs in the past,now we have two cats…….. whatever happened to “mind your own business”

2. Anonymous, it’s pretty hard to mind our own business when it comes to public news stories. Makes sense?

• I agree!! HE was the one who first put this on Facebook!!! To subject an animal to that kind of pain and for as long as that would take is unthinkable!! I have a couple tattoos and I can’t imagine putting the many dags & cats I adopt thru this. People who say they’re animal lovers but have nothing to say about it, or who agree, are NOT animal lovers. The fact that they can inflict PAIN on a defenseless animal proves that!!!! Imbeciles!!!

• Um, yes, especially when the tattoo given is the equivalent of something that a moron such as he feels is necessary, in a most sensitive area for a dog and in a protracted amount of time to do the bloody work. What men will do to compensate for their own tiny, um, problems.

3. Easy enough to check with the vet who did the dog’s ears as to whether or not the dog was “awake”…can’t see a squirmy pup staying still long enough to tat anything….
    …..as to the tattoo itself? Nothing wrong with that if done cleanly etc etc

• They NEVER release an animal after surgery still asleep!!!! That’s why they’re in RECOVERY for an extended amount of time after surgery…..that is to make sure they DO wake up and have no respiratory problems!!! People will believe anything, from others who will SAY anything!!!

• i was allowed to be in with my dog while she was unconscious after being spayed. i’m pretty sure that if i’d told the vet “hang on a mo’, i’m just going to tattoo her while she’s under” he wouldn’t have said Word One about it.

4. A bit of perspective would not go amiss here. His dog looks healthy and happy. So its not on the list of what most people would do to their dogs myself included but there are a lot more worse things going on out there that need investigating before time is used up on this One prime example being Freckles the dog that is currently being brought back from the brink by the heroes at Noah`s arks rescue. The perpetrators of this act should be hunted down and shot

5. The idiot is lying. The dog wasn’t sent home asleep, though he may have been sleepy. No dog would “sleep through” any kind of tattoo, much less a large tattoo like that one and as someone else said, in a very delicate location. You want to identify your dog, get it chipped. It’s one thing to tattoo someone who WANTS a tattoo, it’s another to tattoo an animal who cannot give consent.

6. What I am wondering is, what is the tatoo a picture of? It doesn’t really impress me as art. Also, a tattoo on the ear is one thing, but on the softest part of the tummy? That had to hurt. If the dog was under sedation, I don’t see a big deal, but I can’t see a dog laying there letting him do that to it otherwise.