Puppy Discovers 7-Year-Old is Diabetic

dreyA young boy in Jasper, Texas was volunteering to help socialize puppies who are training to be diabetic alert dogs when one of the dogs made a discovery no one knew.

Kenyatta Carter’s 7-year-old son had been volunteering for the past few weeks with “Drey’s Alert Dogs.” The puppies are being trained to paw at a diabetic person when they can smell that their blood sugar is below 80 or above 180. Carter’s son is among a group of volunteers helping to socialize the puppies as they are trained.

Earlier this week one of the puppies started alerting that something wasn’t right with Carter’s son. It turned out the puppy was right; even though he hadn’t been diagnosed and no one was aware Carter’s son was in fact diabetic.

“If we wouldn’t have been her I probably never would’ve known that he was a diabetic,” said Carter.

14 thoughts on “Puppy Discovers 7-Year-Old is Diabetic”

1. umm….. not wanting to state the obvious but maybe you wouldn’t need more puppies if time and energy was spent educating the parents about appropriate eating habits. Great that diabetes was detected by the puppy, but does beg the question why does the child have diabetes.

• Thanks for posting your comment Sue. I immediately thought the same thing when I saw the picture. It is rare these days for one to speak the obvious when there are so many who will jump on you because of the overstated concept of political correctness.

• Or people will jump on you because your obviously of low intelligence. Too bad evolution didn’t prevent you from existing.

• sue …… how stupid can you get ….. the child has diabetes because his pancreas has stopped working …….. do a little research before you write comments on something you clearly now NOTHING about .

• Sud type 1 diabetes has NOTHING to do with food or exercise. It’s an autoimmune disorder. Get educated!

• He might have Type 1 Diabetes that has nothing to do with appropriate eating habits and isn’t anyone’s fault.

2. Sue, I think you need educating about the difference between type 1 & type 2 diabetes.
    These puppies are needed and how dare you try an make some sanctimonious point about people’s eating habits.

3. Service dogs of all types improve and save lives every day!!
    And regarding Sue’s comment, I think of a wise old saying…”Ignorance is cureable, Stupid is Forever”!!!

4. Sue-Not so much stating obvious as stating ignorance. Might be wise to educate yourself about an issue before you comment.

Thank you Emma! You hit the nail on the head.

5. I am type 1 diabetic and after reading this story from over here in the UK, I think it is remarkable how dogs can be trained to indicate when someone who is diabetic, blood sugars go hypo or hyper (low or high); I am unaware of your level indicators on each side, but your 80 must mean our 3mmols and your 180 must mean about 13mmols of sugar in the blood. We don’t have indicator dogs over here just yet but they are getting introduced; if they had been over 15 years ago (when I was diagnosed) it would’ve caused less stress of being ill and admitted to hospital because I was given wrong medication for a chest infection (sugar-coated tablets vs. someone without insulin = no good!) so yeah I agree, there needs to be more education on the differences between type 1 and type 2; type 1 is child/adolescent onset usually from an infection like what happened to me; type 2 is adult onset usually caused by obesity and unhealthy lifestyle but it has been approached that a lot of youngsters are getting type 2 more so now. I would love a dog who could bark or paw at me to indicate if I am too hyper or hypo because sometimes you don’t recognise your signs and even though after 15 years of being a diabetic who injects 4 times a day, it is hard to cope with if something like a low blood sugar is not acted upon immediately; it can mess up your entire day!

6. Maybe its not politically correct of me to state the obvious but while everyone is assuming this child has type 1, I am assuming he has type 2. Generally uncontrolled type 1 esp in a child leads to being skinny and sickly aka no more making insulin dead beta cells. Generally type 2 in children is seen along with obesity. I am sorry that this child has diabetes of either type but unless I hear officially somewhere otherwise I still think he has type 2. Maybe this is what sue was trying to say?

• I have type 1 diabetes and I’m a little bit overweight so yes the child does have type 1 diabetes you thick git I lost loads of weight before they found out I had diabetes due to being sick alot sometimes you put weight on when you have to eat 3 meals a day and when your blood goes low u need something to eat aswell as suger so go do some research and learn more

7. Are you kidding me?! How dare you “assume” he has diabetes because he is heavy?! My seemingly normal at the time 8 year old gained 30 lbs and then lost it plus some! I thought she was going to have a growth spurt, I had no idea she was as sick as she was and could have DIED. She has Type 1 Diabetes, it changes everything. You don’t get to see the tears we parents cry, the grief we go through knowing everything will be different, the stress of trying to afford the supplies each month. I know of babies as young as 11 months old being diagnosed. Educate before you speak. These D.A.D.s could save a child’s life!