Rescue Puppy Saves Two-Day-Old Kitten from Being Eaten Alive

 

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites1

Rescue puppy Opie was outside of his home with his (human) mom when he heard the mewling of a two-day-old kitten.  He was under a log, having been abandoned by his mother, and was being eaten alive by maggots.  He was rescued and named Roscoe, and now he and Opie are best friends.

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites2

“My puppy Opie found him in the field behind our apartment building. He was stuck under a log and covered in maggots. Opie refused to leave him, and before you knew it we had a kitten,” explained Imgur user LiaLiaBoBiaBananaFannaFoFiaMeMiMoMiaLIA.  (I’m going to go out on a limb here and say her name is Lia.)

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites7

 

 

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites3

He was given a bath and brought to an emergency vet to be treated.  Then he was taken back to his new home, where he recovered and began developing like a normal kitten.  He had to be fed with a syringe, and kept warm in his nesting box.  He loved being cuddled after feedings.  At 10 days old, he opened one eye, and had the other open a few days later.

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites5

 

 

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites4

Soon he was spending less time in his nesting box and more time outside of it, playing with his toys.  Like every other youngster, he quickly mastered escaping from his playpen.  And he became fast friends with his rescuer.

8.3.14 - Puppy Saves Kitten Being Eaten Alive by Parasites6

Roscoe and Opie spend lots of time cuddling and playing.  Roscoe has made some other friends too, but his favorite will always be Opie.

 

 

16 thoughts on “Rescue Puppy Saves Two-Day-Old Kitten from Being Eaten Alive”

  1. Really, may whatever powers that be, whether God or karma or luck, reward you in this life for your kindness.

    Reply
  2. Great story. One minor thing, maggots only consume DEAD flesh, not healthy tissue. Before antibiotics and micro surgery, maggots were used medical personnel to get rid of dead/unhealthy tissue around wounds/burns to minimize gangrene and other infections. So the maggots were probably from another nearby source that happened to be with this kitty, possibly a sibling or parent that didn’t survive whatever happened to them. That kitten sure didn’t get under that log by itself.

    GOOD DOG!!!

    Reply
    • I did my research… the larvae of some flies – like blowflies, botflies, and screwflies – DO consume healthy, living tissue. This is known as myiasis. =)

      Reply
    • Finally the voice of reason! maggots were used for debriding long before there were scalpels. It is disgusting and the glutted maggots just drop off and sound a bit like ripe fruit falling but they can be used again until they have gone through several molts and are ready to become flies. It is the ultimate in recycling.

      Reply

Leave a Comment