With all the toxic treat scares, many have turned to homemade dog treats. Sweet potatoes are a tasty and healthy snack, as well as being easy and affordable to make. This video shows how to make sweet potato chips in a food dehydrator.
If your dog loves to chew, here are instructions (and the website they’re from) for making sweet potato “rawhide.”
- Heat oven to 250° F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don’t discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
- Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3″ slices, no smaller than 1/4″.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.