Dog Adopted After Spending Six Years in Shelter

This is the story of Rufo, a dog who, though loving and sweet, just could not get adopted.

At the age of one, he was turned over to a New York shelter. He would not go home until six long, painful years had passed. Rufo’s struggle to find a new home is a testament to the power of using social media for the sake of animals. Have you shared an adoptable dog with friends lately? If not, you need to watch this: with the simple click of a share button, you may very well find a home for the next Rufo.

18 thoughts on “Dog Adopted After Spending Six Years in Shelter”

1. I am so glad that Rufo finally got a home. Good job to all of those who made it possible. I hope that he and his best friend have a long and happy life together.

2. God Bless both. I hope and pray that Rufo will have a VERY, VERY long life and that he gets to have MANY balls thrown for him.

3. Is there something on FaceBook or other media that lists such long term residents of shelters? I think we need to create one if there isn’t.

• There is a site called “Pet Pardons” that showcases animals in shelters and they feature longtime residents at times.

4. OMG, I can’t believe he was looked over for so many years! He is adorable.

God Bless the people that cared for him all those years and the woman that that found Rufo’s forever home. Wow. That’s a true angel.

I can tell that Jon has found a best friend in Rufo that will give him many many years of happiness and Rufo will give it back unconditionally.

5. ♥♥♥♥♥ oh my gosh… what a (sniffling) BEAUTIFUL story ♥♥♥♥♥ those are some wonderful people for keeping Rufo alive & healthy at that shelter & what a beautiful soul Jon has for taking Rufo in… all those new experiences & all that freedom after 22 hrs a day in a cage for nearly 7 years…. i just want to hug both Jon & Rufo ♥♥♥♥♥♥

6. What a wonderful story! (I also cried as I watched the video). Rufo looks so happy! Thanks to all who helped find Rufo his forever home! God bless the shelter who kept him all those years believing he would get a great home some day and it looks like he has!