The lives of innocent dogs are at stake, and time is running out to help

The lives of a family of dogs are being threatened with death in Monroe County Michigan.  The 4 boxers, belonging to Timothy Iocoangeli were seized in April and labelled as “dangerous dogs” after one of the dogs bit a teenage girl who was technically trespassing on the property while the owner was away.  None of the other dogs were involved in the incident, yet all of them have been in custody for 7 months deprived of the freedom and love they deserve.

Iocoangeli has been fighting with the Monroe County system, even going to jail himself rather than surrender the rights to his dogs since he could not afford to pay $3000 to have the dogs released.  He is currently out on bail but not allowed to see his pets, which include a puppy.  The courts decision is difficult to understand since  the city’s own law states that a dog cannot be considered dangerous if it attacks in protecting its property against strangers, which is exactly what happened.  The dog in question, Brooklyn, was protecting her five 2 month old puppies in her own home, and the girl that was bitten was trespassing in the sense that the owner was not home and unaware that she was there.

It is difficult to comprehend why animal control would seize all 4 of the dogs when there is no apparent evidence of aggression or wrongdoing.  Iocoangeli has done everything he can, including finding extra work to raise the money to free the dogs and prevent their needless and unjustified killing.  It is unclear why the the girl who was bitten was in the house at all, and this does not seem to be a concern of the courts.

The reality is that unless something changes in the next few days, these dogs will likely be euthanized by the end of the week.  This is a drastic and unjustified measure that could set a very dangerous precedent.  The rights of innocent animals are at stake and they need defenders to come to their aide.

22 thoughts on “The lives of innocent dogs are at stake, and time is running out to help”

1. Somebody may need to just go ahead and contact this Lexus project. Org or any local rescues as well to make sure their innocent lives aren’t put in jeopardy this week. Please someone reach out and help this family. This type of action by the Animal control is not justified and they need to be accountable . Just give this poor man back his family. And stop playing
    god with innocent animals lives. Any female dog will defend their pups specially a stranger… You all went to far with this and are out of line doing this to this family. Give them back their beloved family members……do the right thing….someone help these people call the mayor there call this horrible animal shelter listed in the comments previuosly on here …everyone…. Lets help this family who obviously love their dogs.

2. I called and left a message at the mayors office. I am calling from Richmond VA. I will post this to my wall as well.

3. The girl in question was standing in the front yard waiting for her friend to come back out of the house. When he opened the door all 4 boxers came out and attacked her. They had to beat all 4 dogs off of her with bricks. She was taken by ambulance nearly mauled to death. There is always 2 sides to every story, get informed. I love boxers and found this story heart wrenching. However, if you raise your dogs to be vicious you ruin it for the rest of us.

• not sure I belive your story I have three boxers, they bark and sound bad but are big babies, Boxers are not mean dogs,

• I also have a boxer, that’s why this story bothered me. I called to plead with them not to put the dogs down. Linda Benson told me this story. I asked her why they couldn’t be rehabilitated as well. Apparently these dogs are known to be vicious that’s why the girl was outside waiting for her friend. A neighbor came to help as did her friend. She was brought inside by the paramedics. I would love to see the police report from this because of the conflicting stories. Trust me I’m on the dogs side. I just don’t like getting false information. Praying for a peaceful outcome.

• also, if she was mauled so critically, where are the pictures that ALWAYS accompany such stories? why has her name not been released?

• Really that’s the “official story.” That’s a facebook event created to gain signatures for the dogs’ release. Also the original story says the girl was inside and only attacked by one dog where the “official” story admits that she was outside when all of the dogs attacked. I love dogs and support them in cases where they are being persecuted but this one sounds like a legitimate attack. The reason the girls name isn’t released like and pictures being shown like ALWAYS is because they NEVER are in the case of minors. It is against the law to post the identity of minor victims.

4. why are people so cruel to animals….Lexus project, causes, facebook…. I just hope it isn’t too late to get everyone involved

5. Let me understand this…someone illegally breaks into a house, is bitten by a dog defending it’s home and babies and she (the dog) and 3 other innocent animals are the ones being charged with a crime? Are these people at animal control mentally deficient in some way?

6. I contacted the Mayor and let him know in no uncertain terms where I stand on this. I got an email back saying the facts aren’t accurate. The girl was outside and a male opened the door, the dogs ran out and attacked this girl. Not sure I really believe that as I am and have been an owner of boxers and never has one showed any form of aggression. The law remains, an animal has the right to protect its property and home. The Monroe County Animal Shelter broke the law by immediately taking all the dogs and simply throwing them in cages with no contact with the owner then deciding to make the owner pay $3000.00 boarding. WTF???? The animal shelter is in the wrong. The kid was told, NO ONE was to be there. Now, because she had 200 stitches, 10 days in the hospital, she was in the wrong the dogs die. Shame on the Judge, shame on the Mayor and shame on the animal shelter.