Tornado Survivor Finds Dog Buried Alive

maggieAs devastating tornadoes struck Washington, Illinois on Sunday Jon Byler Dann tried to protect his family. He was afraid that one important member didn’t survive. The family dog Maggie was missing after the storm and assumed dead, but over a day later faint barking was heard coming from beneath the rubble.

As debris started to hit his home with the approaching storms Jon Byler Dann took his four children down into his basement, but one family member wouldn’t come down with him. Maggie, Byer Dann’s 11-year-old dog he had since she was just a puppy, was skittish and refused to leave her kennel.

When the storm had passed Byer came out from the basement to find his home completely destroyed and Maggie nowhere to be found. He assumed his beloved dog had died.

Almost 30 hours later while family and friends searched through what was left of the home some friends heard a faint barking coming from beneath them. They quickly started to dig and found Maggie buried alive in the rubble. She had become wrapped in a piece of carpeting and when Byler Dann saw her he burst into tears.

Byler Dann quickly got his beloved pet some water. She was cold, dirty and in pain. Friends helped get her to a local veterinarian where she is now being treated for broken bones and some possible internal injuries. The veterinarian expects her to make a full recovery.

0 thoughts on “Tornado Survivor Finds Dog Buried Alive”

1. You grab your kid’s hand and the kennel in the other. Family is family. People are not more than animals, even if you’ve been trained to think that way. I’d make it my firat priority to have ALL my family in safety, even before my own.

• Did you even read the story? He didn’t have 1 kid, he has 4. I would say this man’s priorities were on point. As much as I love dogs, Maggie would have been priority #5 for me as well. Maybe 6 depending on how much the wife had been nagging recently.

2. Wow, amazing how some of you have turned this into a moment of judgment. Life isn’t always fair. I am pleased he got his dog out safely.

3. I donated to the dogs recovery….this baby deserves it…he is still at the vet and many more animals are missing…..

4. This man isn’t up for judgement he did what he felt was the right thing to do at the time as anyone would. Not everyone feels the same he’s a father and had to protect his kids. I’m very happy that Maggie was found and getting the medical help she needs.

As for me I would have had a real problem leaving my dog although I don’t have kids at home to think about. I do agree that our dogs are our family therefore they must go to the basement with us. My dogs are my kids therefore there’s no choice to make they go with me.

To the guy that said the dog may be # 6 depending on how much the wife had been nagging. Maybe the wife will be the one making the decision on the dog or you and she decides the dog should be saved and let you fin for your self….. lol.

5. I heard on the news some of the tornados came and left in four minutes. Another minute spent trying to get the dog the entire family would have died.

6. Hasn’t the man had enough to deal with and enough trauma ? Why do some of you feel the need to judge? You were not there. Perhaps it was not possible to save his dog in the time he had to save the kids. Even if it was fear can make people indecisive or freeze. Thankfully he is safe, the kids are safe, and the dog is expected to survive. Perhaps a quick prayer being said for the dog would be better than judging the man?

• Prayers will not help anyone, you dumb fool…

We can judge all we want, there are no limits or fictitious sky faeries that have the sole right to judge.

You god people make me sick, you are the biggest bunch of brainwashed twats, your god, is a man made construct, not the other way around…

• Aww… Look… All the bible thumpers are thumbing you down, how tolerant they are…NOT !

They never did learn to keep their god to themselves, they have to try to brainwash you by mentioning THEIR faith at every opportunity.