Woman Found Guilty of Letting Child Witness Dog Euthanasia

Suffolk County Court Judge James Hudson has charged a New York woman with child endangerment for allowing a 10-year old child to witness the euthanization of a dog.

Hudson offered the findings following a two-week trial that ended Thursday, telling Mona Kanciper that putting a dog down in front of a child was egregious. The girl who witnessed the dog being euthanized was a  student who enrolled in horseback lessons at Kanciper’s horse rescue facility. Sentencing is scheduled for December thirteenth, and we were surprised to learn that Kanciper is facing up to one year in prison for the endangerment charge.

Kanciper intends to appeal, and has already engaged the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in a $25 million lawsuit.

“It is a sad commentary about our criminal justice system that without any substantive investigation, the SCSPCA and the district attorney’s office wasted the time and resources of the court and the people of Suffolk County,” Kanciper said in a statement. “My reputation and that of my family and my business have been irreparably damaged by this experience.”

View an earlier report on the incident from WPIX:

39 thoughts on “Woman Found Guilty of Letting Child Witness Dog Euthanasia”

1. What kind of “business” is she in that lets her euthanizes dogs in front of children? I don’t like that she has a $25 million lawsuit against an animal organization if she really loves animals.

• Now I got to see the video. I see why she was charged. She would choke dogs if they did not go down easily. Well she sounds just horrible! I hope she gets jail time and a fine! What is wrong with people? She has some never filing a lawsuit.

2. It was not “Dogs” it was dog. And I hope she wins! I see nothing wrong in letting this child witnesses the passing of what is probably her pet. It’s not normally a violent death, at least not the ones that I’ve had to witnesses. I wish I had been able to be the one that held my Shepherd when we had to put him down due to chronic hip pain. Instead, he was led away and had no family with him in his last minutes. That still bothers me to this day. Death is a fact of life.

• First off, she is not a vet nor legally qualified to euthanize. Secondly, this was NOT done in an office it was done on her property where she euthanized a dog, not hers, and does this to a lot of other dogs. The child/children in the area were also not her children nor their dog. Supposedly she is a horse rescue place and has also put down horses – illegally. Thirdly, why was the animal put down – space, illness, pain/suffering? AND for crying out loud, if done right, the injection would have had the proper amount cc’s and if not you give it another shot NOT choke the life out it!!

3. I want to punch the crap out of her face. What nerve she has to sue the Suffolk County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Someone should sue her for doing this and letting her kid watch, the kid is going to grow like her with no respect for life and possibly a serial killer now.

• @ mary Punch the crap out of her face? Get a life. Obviously Mona has great respect for life. It is a very hard decision to make (possibly the hardest as a human) to euthanize a pet. She is grieving already and now this? As Laurna and Sam suggest it was the final act of kindness. And Laurna, please don’t beat yourself up anymore for not being with your pet. You now know better and will be there next time.

The government and MARY need to butt out of people’s business. Mona I hope you win!

• I agree with you Emily but I don’t think she should be suing the ASPCA. That money is to help homeless and abused animals and people donated their hard earned money to help animals not to be used for things like this.

• I believe the ASPCA is an extremely wealthy and powerful organisation. Are they the ones that initially brought the charges against her?

• Don’t just read an article, watch the video. This was NOT her dog that was being killed nor her child that happened to see this. It was done on her property where she brings children in to see the horses that have been rescued – and also put down. She is not legally qualified to put animals down. She is not a doctor or a vet. She has no grounds to sue, she put this animal down inhumanely without any authority to do so.

4. There must be more to this story or I can’t see why she would have been charged with a crime for allowing her child to be with their pet while it was euthanized. Anyone know the whole story?

• She choked the dog to death in front of the kid,I do not find this a humane way to put an animal down,let alone let a child witness it!!

• She is not a doctor or a vet. She has no grounds to sue, she put this animal down inhumanely without any authority to do so.

Don’t just read, watch the video. This was NOT her dog that was being killed and NOT her child that happened to see this. It was done on her property where children were visiting to see the horses that have been rescued – sometimes illegally put down so the SPCA has investigated these allegations as well. She is not legally qualified to put animals down. CHOKING to kill it is not humanely euthanizing.

5. I wish I had been with my childhood dog when she died when I was 11. Instead, one morning I woke up and she was gone. I never got to hold her one last time and say good-bye, and I agonized over this for a long time. As an adult, I held my horse when it had to be euthanized and it was a very, calm gentle passing for an animal that was sick and in pain.

In this case, if the event was handled well it isn’t egregious and endangering. The mother “allowed” the child to be present, not forced the child.

6. I agree that we’re not seeing the whole story here. First, who filed the initial complaint? Did the child go to school traumatized and tell a teacher/counsellor? Or just mention they had watched their dog die? At 10 the child is old enough to understand death, and if this was the childs pet, it could help bring closure, especially if the dog was sick. Too many parents in my opinion tell their kids lies about what happened to their pet (went to live at the farm/doctors/etc).
    While I don’t agree with a $25 mil lawsuit, she has a point if there was no real investigation before the trial and good for her not to let a large organization, regardless of which one, step all over her.