Owner’s Terminal Illness Leaves Two Shepherds Homeless

One of the most impressive traits of our community is an overwhelming sense of good will, and another member has come forth to seek assistance for two dogs in urgent need of a new home – through no fault of their own.

Update (3/23/12):  They have a home! The Nevada Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (http://www.nevadaspca.org/)  has agreed to take the girls, despite all odds. Doug (an absolute angel) who works with the no-kill animal sanctuary, will work with both of the dogs.  Happy dance   He has agreed to help with their spaying, shots, etc .  To those of you who offered monetary help, if you would like to make a donation to this group, please follow your heart and no that euthanizing is not a happy ending BUT stepping up and finding the resources when you are not sure they are is the solution.

I know to all of you who have posted, chatted, texted, emailed, facebooked these dogs — please know that today — you made a difference!  I love you all for that.

Cheers,
Diane

–end update–
[dcs_head top=”0″ color=”#666666″] [/dcs_head]

In fact, these are sad circumstances, but perhaps their current owner will find comfort in knowing they will be cared for. Diane reached out to us with the following message:

Hello,

A friend has contacted me about his two 8-year old female (not spayed) German Shepherds. He is a single dad with end-stage pancreatic cancer. These beautiful dogs are running out of time. I am willing to have them spayed; make sure their shots are current and drive them to any rescue organization within 500-800 miles of where I live.

I am in Sanpete County Utah 84647. I don’t have any resources; I live in a rural area; I am just trying to help. The man and his son are devastated … as you can imagine. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Diane Gardner

If you or anyone you know might be able to adopt, foster, or assist in the transport of the dogs, please contact Diane at [email protected]

Comments

1. They should try to contact Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. Even though they get inundated w/ pleas on a daily basis perhaps they can assist w/ these older girls and also having them located in the same state might make a difference.
    (They helped me w/ a older dog rescue in the state before)

• Anonymous says on  03/23/2012 at 10:04 pm

2. Paula says on  03/20/2012 at 11:42 am

I hope and pray these two sweet girls find a loving, forever home.

3. Anonymous says on  03/20/2012 at 12:22 pm

I hope they find a good home for these gorgeous girls and hope they can stay
    together.

4. Loretta says on  03/20/2012 at 5:42 pm
  5. I am dealing with the same situation myself, I just buried My Mom yesterday, She left behind a Male and a Female TreeWalker Hounds…I am trying to find homes for them both…spayed/neutered..micro chipped

6. Call Best Friends.

• Anonymous says on  03/23/2012 at 10:08 pm

I did. Unfortunately Best Friends would not take them because I could not guarantee they would get along with other dogs.

7. Loretta says on  03/20/2012 at 5:43 pm

The group above help place pets whose owners are terminally ill or deceased.

8. Anonymous says on  03/20/2012 at 5:43 pm

Maybe there are K-9 units in the area that could help them?

9. KD says on  03/20/2012 at 5:46 pm

Please help these babies

10. Shannon says on  03/20/2012 at 5:46 pm

poor fellas. not only are they losing their owner they are losing their home.

11. Melissa says on  03/20/2012 at 5:47 pm
  12. Michelle says on  03/20/2012 at 5:48 pm

Heather Santora Barker – know anyone in Utah that can help?

13. Judith says on  03/20/2012 at 5:49 pm

consider contacting Best Friends in Utah

• Anonymous says on  03/23/2012 at 10:09 pm

I did. Best Friends would not take them because I could not guarantee they would get along with other dogs.

14. Oh my Lord, this is really sad…can someone out here adopt them together? I can’t due to my having 2 already and the Rules in my homeowners association does no allow more than that..Please, someone out there, resucue these poor babies. God will reward you.

15. Carolyn says on  03/20/2012 at 5:50 pm

putting on attorney hat: people, please make sure that you have someone designated to care for your animals when you are gone. You can even set up a “pet trust” and fund it with a small life insurance policy so that it can cover the cost of care. There are facilities (one near my house, no affiliation, http://www.petestates.com) which provide care to animals whose owners are deceased if a proper bequest is made. Contact an attorney familiar with drafting wills and trusts for more information.

16. Lois says on  03/20/2012 at 5:50 pm

I was just going to say that!

• Anonymous says on  03/23/2012 at 10:10 pm

I tried. Best Friends would not take them because I could not guarantee they would get along with other dogs.

17. Carolyn says on  03/20/2012 at 5:50 pm

I have boarded my crazy terriers here, and they have done very well.

18. NEED UTAH RESCUE, FOSTER. PLS PLS PLS

19. kimberly allan chapman, pls share

20. Shared <3

21. Christina says on  03/20/2012 at 5:57 pm

This is so sad….

22. Diane says on  03/20/2012 at 5:58 pm

shared

23. Shared.

24. Angela says on  03/20/2012 at 6:01 pm

Such pretty girls! Hope they find a loving home…wish I could take them… :-(

25. Breaks my heart, wish I could take all pets in need:(

26. Debbie says on  03/20/2012 at 6:14 pm

I will share when I get back home

27. i would take them in heart beat

28. i have 2 german sheperds and would take to more in such loving dogs and loyal friends <3

29. :o((((

30. https://www.facebook.com/woodysplacesgss a senior GSD rescue in Pa

31. Shared

32. Joanna says on  03/20/2012 at 6:47 pm

Very very sad where in utah?

33. So sad.

34. Please try to find a home for these beautiful dogs before time runs out for them.

35. Laura says on  03/20/2012 at 7:06 pm

I’ll be praying for this family and for their dogs…I hope someone hearing their story can help. Big thank you to the lady offering her assistance..the world is a better place because of caring people like you.

36. So sad when they r left behind.

37. Nancy says on  03/20/2012 at 7:13 pm

How very sad

38. Bonnie says on  03/20/2012 at 7:20 pm

Manay blessings to the 2 babies, the family, Diane, and all those who have helped.

39. I hate that Im in UK.

40. Thanks for the info! I hope some one in Utah can help them

41. Tracie says on  03/20/2012 at 7:32 pm

Canny post this to The German Shepherd Dog Community

42. Tracie says on  03/20/2012 at 7:33 pm

Can you post this to The German Shepherd Dog Community maybe they can help!

43. I hope they find homes for them….Nov Scotia

44. Pets are JUST like children. Make sure someone will care for them forever when you are gone!

45. Rose says on  03/20/2012 at 8:42 pm

Shared

46. Kim says on  03/20/2012 at 9:40 pm

Praying for these beautiful babies <3 Hoping someone opens their hearts and home to them <3

47. Anonymous says on  03/20/2012 at 10:31 pm

If i could get them i would take both i live in TN have a part german shepard she is great and so sweet live on a 14 acre small farm with pond room to play hate it i am so far away

48. They look like my dog?

49. Sue says on  03/20/2012 at 10:47 pm

Please someone help them, that poor man doesn’t need that worry on top of his illness. They need a loving home together…Please help <3

50. They look like my dog?
    Unfortunately, I live in Germany I? My dog has short hair Died last month and was also 8 years!
    I hope that they both find a beautiful new home!
    I would have taken it but unfortunately I live too far way, I!

51. Anna says on  03/20/2012 at 11:03 pm

I’d love to take them. I’ve always wanted a shepherd. I’m just not in the position to take them right now. Their situation breaks my heart and it kills me that I can’t take them. They are beautiful and look very sweet.

52. Anonymous says on  03/21/2012 at 8:02 am

Call the German Shepherd breed rescues within your range. Breed rescues are the best bet for purebred dogs. Often they are backed by breed clubs and have a large network of GSD lovers to foster and help with placement. Google German Shepherd rescue for the states you can get them to.

53. Deborah says on  03/21/2012 at 4:06 pm

Shared, please let us know when they are adopted, or any changes. Wish I could help!

54. Anne says on  03/21/2012 at 4:53 pm

Contact German Shepard rescue of Utah, http://www.gotdogsonline.com

55. Anonymous says on  03/22/2012 at 2:14 pm

The way LWD fans are mobilizing to help this story have happy ending is the feel good story of the day. This man will soon, I believe, find some measure of peace in his last days knowing his fur children are being cared for. And the dogs will have someone to ease their confusion and fear.

56. Jamie says on  03/22/2012 at 11:08 pm

Whoever is in charge of these gorgeous darlings please email me, I could take them both to keep them together and spoil them rotten & Love them both for the rest of their days. I lost my Lil Man Jack last year and my heart is still hurting for him. I hate the thought of these two loves being separated or even having to go into any sort of kennel …. it just makes my heart hurt. Although I’m in Illinois I’m willing to drive half way to pick them up. If this seems like a solution to whoever is in charge please contact me anytime. BIG HUGS TO THOSE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS & MANY PRAYERS TO THEIR SICK OWNER.