Dog owners irate after finding cayenne pepper dumped on neighbourhood lawns

Pet owners in Seattle are furious over the actions a property manager has taken to keep dogs off her lawn.  Cayenne pepper was intentionally dumped all over the lawn to send a message to pet owners that failure to pick up after their dogs would not be tolerated.  The problem is that the pepper , in such quantities, is quite dangerous for dogs and has resulted in at least one dog sustaining burns to the pads of her feet that required veterinary attention.

Fredda Starr is the property manager of the “Greenwood Court Manor” apartments, and she says she did not mean to hurt any animals.  ”I do love dogs, but I don’t like all the poo that they leave over the ground,” said Starr, who did agree to stop and to dilute the pepper avoid harming the dogs.  In addition to spreading the pepper, Starr left the empty containers scattered around the area rather than putting them in the trash.

Pepper is not a toxic substance but can cause problems for animals who ingest or walk on it.  ”It upsets the stomach, burns the inside and may cause a little diarrhea,” said Dr. Zile Singh, a veterinarian at Greenwood Animal Hospital.

Gujral Wallace, the owner of the dog that was harmed was outraged, saying “It’s absolutely despicable, their intentions is what scares me,” and asking ”How does that even get into your head? Are you that evil?”  Her dog, who is named Buddha, suffered burns on her legs and incurred several hundred dollars in vet bills.   If this had happened to a smaller dog, it could have been much more serious.   Wallace says she is going to rally local residents to do a better job of keeping the area clean of pet waste.

Related posts

February 17, 2013 11:47 amPosted 1 year ago
    Sandy

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 16

February 17, 2013 11:51 amPosted 1 year ago
      threenorns

the owner is not at fault unless the grass was posted “keep off the grass”, which is not mentioned anywhere. she’s not upset about dogs being on the grass, she’s upset about the mess left behind.

she’s punishing ALL dogs (and every other living creature – i wonder how many squirrels will be found dead?) for what a few owners do.

Yow. What do you think? Thumb up 13 Thumb down 13

February 17, 2013 9:16 pmPosted 1 year ago
        Anonymous

threenoms, the signs don’t work. In fact some dog owners encourage their dog’s to go there just to piss off the property owners. Sandy, I agree with you. The property owner could have made a trip to petco and avoided this. It says right in the article that she never meant to hurt any dogs and she loves dogs. I have owned dogs for a looooooooong time. I always clean up after them. I didn’t have a poop bag once. I went home, got on, and went back and cleaned up after my dog.

Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

January 18, 2014 4:58 pmPosted 3 months ago
        Mr meany

If any squirrels end up dead just know that they are pre seasoned for the eating.lol

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 11:54 amPosted 1 year ago
      Sian

why is the owner at fault? nowhere does it say that this particular dog and owner are responsible for leaving mess

Woof woof! Thumb up 11 Thumb down 3

January 18, 2014 5:01 pmPosted 3 months ago
        Mr meany

The owner is at fault because the dog can’t clean up after its self.burn the nostrils of all that come near.it serves them right.lol

Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 12:37 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

There are many ways to deter dogs from going potty on your lawn without causing any harm to them. If the property owner really did “love dogs” like she said, a simple google search would have helped her come up with a variety of deterrents that is safe for both the lawn and dogs. Hardware stores sell inexpensive decorative garden fencing that could have been placed on the border of the lawn and probably cost just as much as the many containers of cayenne pepper she used. Or citrus oil can be used or pre-made animal safe animal repellants. This just seems like a very cruel way of punishing dogs.

Woof woof! Thumb up 10 Thumb down 3

February 18, 2013 3:15 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

There should be no cost for veterinary care. Capsaicin (the ingredient in peppers that causes the burning sensation) does not burn or damage the skin or internal organs in any way. Capsaicinn activates burn receptors and sends signals to the brain that a burn is occurring, but actual burning is not occurring. If dog owners are ignorant of this fact and took their dogs in to the Vet anyway, the property owner is not responsible for any costs.

Yow. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 4

February 19, 2013 5:44 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Lynn

The owner is only at fault if she was one of the ones that did not pick up after her pet.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

February 17, 2013 1:51 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Everyone is condemning the manager and it’s the dog owners who are to blame . Im quite sure the manager had no intentions of harming the animals . To bad the pepper couldn’t have been placed in the dog owners underwear .

Woof woof! Thumb up 29 Thumb down 7

February 17, 2013 2:28 pmPosted 1 year ago
      threenorns

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 16

February 17, 2013 9:20 pmPosted 1 year ago
        Anonymous

threenoms,you wrote “what a few of us do?” I take it you are one that does not clan up after your dog. Dog poo kills grass. Rotting fish carcasses actually fertilize. Get off your high horse.

Woof woof! Thumb up 10 Thumb down 2

February 18, 2013 12:02 pmPosted 1 year ago
        SSB Pack

You are very naive if you don’t think that those who follow the rules quite often pay for those who don’t. It isn’t fair but it happens every day in a variety of ways.

I find it ironic that you state “since when are ALL dog owners reponsible for what a few of us do?” Yet you don’t extend that right to the property manager who ends up cleaning up after those who violate.

By the way dog feces IS a health hazard; condensed from dog talk 101:

1. Dog poop is NOT good fertilizer. It’s toxic to your lawn! The high nutrient concentration in dog poop will burn and discolor the grass, creating “hot spots”.

2. The (EPA) classifies pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.

3. The (CDC) confirms pet waste can spread parasites including hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella.

5. Merges with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria … (There are 23 million fecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste!)

6. Contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness and damage to brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes.

7. Does not “wash away” or disappear.

Clearly, there was a lapse in judgement here on all those involved. The property manager should have researched safer alternatives for discouraging dogs on the lawn and dog owners should not only be cleaning up after their dogs but they should also make ever effort to keep them from urinating on the grass as that also damages the lawn and can not be “picked up.”

Perhaps the solution is to designate an area for dogs to relieve themselves that has only crushed granite of gravel that can be more easily kept clean and let those who use it monitor for those violating the “clean up after your pet” rule. That way, the lawn is for playing and fun and the gravel area is for clean up.

Woof woof! Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 2:34 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 9

December 4, 2013 7:20 pmPosted 4 months ago
      Anonymous

We have the same problem! People let their dogs dig up and throw gravel all over our sidewalks. We posted signs asking people to be respectful and not allow the dogs to dig in the gravel. I’m tired of sweeping the sidewalk several times a day! The signs made it worse. Any suggestions?

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

January 21, 2014 12:00 pmPosted 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Sprinkle a lot cayenne pepper!

Woof woof! Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 4:58 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 9

February 17, 2013 5:25 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

The dog owners are responsible for carrying their own pick up bags.

Woof woof! Thumb up 20 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 9:07 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

not the property owner’s responsibility.

Woof woof! Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 5:23 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I love dogs and own dogs however I can see both sides of this. I am disgusted with rude pet owners who do not clean up after their dog. I wonder if the man who was so incensed is one of the regulars who never picks up his dog’s waste? More likely than not the answer is YES.

Woof woof! Thumb up 12 Thumb down 0

February 17, 2013 5:28 pmPosted 1 year ago
    WisePati

I’ve seen people walking their dogs and letting them defecate and just walking on. Some people just don’t care whose property they soil. Once saw a woman running and her dog was trying to defecate and she just keep dragging it so that poo was spread all along the sidewalk. I stopped her and offered her a bag to clean it up and she was very nasty to me. She had no regard for anyone who may be walking along the sidewalk and obviously didn’t deserve to have a dog.
    It is the few people who are like that who ruin it for everyone. Signs don’t work and in fact some people will try and make their dogs go where there are signs just to say ‘screw you’. Anyone with the type of attitude that their actions are immune to rules and regulations really isn’t civilized.
    I hope a resolution can be found here. Maybe a few tickets for not cleaning up after their dogs might convince people.

Woof woof! Thumb up 17 Thumb down 0

January 18, 2014 5:05 pmPosted 3 months ago
      Mr meany

That owner deserves pepper stuffed in her face.i know that’s what I would’ve done lol

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

February 18, 2013 11:12 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I am not advocating animal cruelty but I was told that Cayenne Pepper will keep dogs from digging in my flower beds and I have sprinkled it in my flower garden in the past, I “sprinkled” not dumped! The fact that she dumped it and left the containers should have been enough of a warning and could be why she did it like this. Then again maybe she’s just a litterbug who hates dogs, who knows!

Woof woof! Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

February 18, 2013 3:08 pmPosted 1 year ago
    M

Simple solution: – signs dont work? I bet if she put up signs that said “if your dog poops here – there will be cayenne pepper next time.”

That might solve everyone’s problem.

Not agreeing with what the propert manager did but there are irresponsible dog owners out there. I see it every day in the dog park and it’s just pure ignorance.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

February 19, 2013 5:42 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Lynn

Any repsonsible dog owner should know that it is proper etiquette to pick up after their pets. Punish the owner not the dogs!! If it is illegal to poo in said grass, why not install camera’s and fine the ones that break the laws instead of punishing ALL of the dogs and their owners?

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 2

February 23, 2013 3:01 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Dog lover, and responsible

I’m sorry for the dog who got sick. But for the record, it isn’t just the excrement left behind. When I walk my dog, I don’t let him “trespass” on the lawns of others. It infuriates me when people walking their dogs on or off leash let their dogs go onto other’s property to do their business: pee or poop. Regardless of whether they pick it up (which is of course better and the law), it is NOT ok to let your dogs go all over other’s property.

Perhaps the dogs in this instance live in the apartment complex and have a right to be there. Then. – pick it up folks! Irresponsible dog owners ruin it fir the rest of us and lead to thereto being fewer places where dog’s are legally allowed.

Woof woof! Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

June 13, 2013 9:21 pmPosted 10 months ago
    Anonymous

I found this website trying to find a way to keep dogs off my lawn, as I spend a lot of time, energy and money trying to make my lawn look beautiful.
    I have dogs myself as I love them, however, I don’t walk my dogs and let them release themselves on other peoples property. It’s rude and ignorant.
    Congratulations to the people that do pick up after their dogs, but even though you do, the urine makes brown spots and the next dog that comes along is going to smell it and release in the same spot and their owner probably won’t pick it up.
    It’s private property, so keep your dogs off it!
    As for the apartment complex, if you are going to allow dogs, you need to have a designated area for the animals and put it in their contract that they will be fined if they don’t pick up after their animals, put cameras up and catch them, you make enough money to do it.
    Come on people, use your minds, it’s the dog owners fault for even provoking someone to do something so mean.

Woof woof! Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

June 24, 2013 11:02 amPosted 9 months ago
    Anonymous

Why is the property owner the bad guy??? People shouldn’t let their dogs wander on other people’s lawns. What makes it ok to let your dog crap on someone else property whether you clean it up or not.

Woof woof! Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

July 15, 2013 8:43 pmPosted 9 months ago
    Anonymous

qll dogs need their tail trimmed. as close to the ears as possible

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

November 29, 2013 1:41 pmPosted 4 months ago
    pCHOP

I hate when dog owners leave their dog to poo on other’s yards; i most definately agree with the property manager; a few minutes ago i see my neighbor’s dog crapping in MY YARD-not theirs…and why? because the dog owners are internally leaving scraps of food on the upper left border of my yard- and where dogs eat they will usually crap; so this is what i have to deal wth -they breed dogs and let them run free as if they own my property as well; i have called animal control about 6 times within the past 2 years-i believe they are related or friends which is my assumption-and guess what not only do i have 1 neighbor who let their dogs use my yard as a toilet but another neighbor two doors down who collect stray dogs but do not feed them and let them roam the neighborhood so they can knock over my garbage can 2-3 times a week; i am at my wits end-i want to put red peeper on the border of my yard as well but i dont want to be sued; i have even confronted my neighbor about this and just suggested that they would keep their dogs from crapping in my yard as well as jumping in my kids pool-what did these animal loving
    people say: ” they’re animals-we cant control where our dogs do their business or if they get hot and go into your kids pool!” ” its in a dogs nature, we have to let our dogs out everyday so they can get exercise” and i responded by” but this is my yard and you’re telling me you wont keep your dogs out of my yard?”
    response: ” they’re dogs”
    so as soon as my husband gets home im picking up red pepper, citrus oil, vinegar, ammonia and whatever else will keep these stupid peoples animals out of my yard,ive done all i can do-

Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

January 18, 2014 4:53 pmPosted 3 months ago
    Mr meany

If an owner don’t understand how to curb their dog then I will.its my lawn and I have no pets but am an animal lover.i don’t want waist on my shoes because of dumb ass owners.pepper or mothballs is what I use to fix the problems that start trouble with me.this way I can enjoy the animals at a distance and they learn to stay away from my residence.lol

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

February 1, 2014 11:50 amPosted 2 months ago
    Just as fed up

I would hate to see harm done or do harm to any animals EVER! However, I believe the intent is to keep offenders off of the grass since their human owners don’t love them enough to clean up after them or care enough about fellow residents to stop being offensive. There are always those few that make it bad for the responsible pet owners, and they are at fault for any injuries sustained. Maybe hefty, unnecessary vet bills will get the message across that it’s time to be responsible as well as make others think before walking away or the next experience may not be pleasurable.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

February 19, 2014 4:58 pmPosted 1 month ago
    SoTiredOfCleaningUpYourDogsStinkies

Is pepper spray used by the police a human rights issue? Pepper is pretty kind if you ask me. Some people would have used bowls of ANTIFREEZE! (That would be evil and wrong, but people have done it) If anything, I think the owner using a non-toxic repellent shows compassion towards animals, and frustration with bad owners. If a guy is trespassing and a cop pepper sprays him, nobody goes into panic mode about human rights. The issue is the responsibility of pet owners to be accountable for their pets, not whether this woman was being cruel. The other pet owners/neighbors that have a problem with her using pepper must know that their dogs visit that location also, or they wouldn’t mind. 30 years ago the dog may have got a warning shot if the property owner liked dogs. It is trespassing, human or not. Animals and pets are great, but humans come first!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

March 6, 2014 2:38 pmPosted 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Judge for yourself. I can hold cayenne pepper powder in my hand and on most areas of my skin and I feel nothing. Do they really expect us to believe that it burned her dog’s legs?
    It should only affect the mucus membranes. So, it would certainly affect the nose, mouth, throat, and eyes of a dog but the feet? I find that difficult to believe.
    The Capsaicin in the cayenne pepper can be neutralized with sugars and acids. If your dog has ingested it. Water isn’t going to help. Give the dog milk which contains both sugars and acids.
    If it’s on his body, wash with soap and water. If you think it is irritating his skin, you could try milk.
    Otherwise, you can use vinegar (for the acidity) or orange juice (for the acidity and sugar) to neutralize it but your dog may prefer the pepper since they typically hate the smell of either one.

Knowing how dogs sniff – breathing in and out of their noses fast to build up molecules in their noses – it’s reasonable to believe that with the piles of cayenne pepper on the grass, a dog might get a significant amount of pepper in its nose from one sniff; especially if it coincides with a gust of wind or if someone disturbs the pile to make the pepper airborne. For that reason I believe the grounds keeper was careless in her application of the pepper.
    Since some of the dog owners are inconsiderate of all others who walk the lawn, the grounds keeper should be allowed to pepper the lawn to deter the dogs but only by using what’s sufficient. A light dusting should suffice for the dog to get irritated enough to voluntarily stay away without any real harm.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0