Chinese Police Officer Breaks Laws to Rescue Dogs

8.2.13 - Chinese Cop Rescues Dogs1

As many know, rules on dog ownership in China are harshly regulated. Dogs were banned entirely from Beijing’s city center until 1983, and currently in place is a one-dog-shorter-than-14-inches-per-household rule. Dogs were not always so shunned in China, and many are working to establish rights for them and other animals across the country.

Recent DNA studies have shown that domesticated dogs very likely originated in east Asia, and they were loved and even treated like royalty in China for hundreds of years. It was not until the Communist era that mentality about dogs changed. They became seen as a symbol of decadence during a time of scarcity, and then were viewed as uncivilized, rabies-spreading polluters.

Dog ownership began to rise when Mao Zedong died in 1976, but the antiquated laws and perceptions about dogs have not been eliminated. Dogs in Beijing are targeted by police who will carry them off in cages to be put to sleep or sold for meat.

But not all police are crazy about China’s crackdown. One officer, who will remain anonymous, is a champion of dogs and has broken the very laws he is sworn to uphold to protect them. He knows that laws are not always just, and has rescued dozens of confiscated dogs over the years.

My colleagues don’t have any feelings toward dogs,” he said.

He knows what he is doing is “wrong,” and that he could get in a lot of trouble, but risks his career and his own freedom to save lives.

I ask my colleagues [at the police station] first. But if they won’t give the dog to me, I’ll steal it,” he explained.

He sneaks in at night when there are fewer officers around, and clandestinely removes dogs from their cages and the building. He was motivated to do this after seeing dogs crammed into cages, waiting to die.

I felt terrible when I saw them,” he said. “I have no choice.”

8.2.13 - Chinese Cop Rescues Dogs3

Many citizens violate the laws by owning larger breeds or more than one dog. Most keep them hidden, only walking them in public after midnight, but some are more brazen about their choice to break the laws. Large dogs are illegal because it is believed they will attack humans.

Just because a dog is big, that doesn’t mean it’s aggressive,” said one Beijing man, who walks his two golden retrievers after dark.

Even small dogs are seized, if their owners can’t afford the costly registration fees. There is an initial 1,000 yuan ($160) cost, as well as a yearly 500 yuan renewal fee.

Some owners don’t have the ability to pay,” said the officer, pointing at a small golden dog. “This one was taken from an old person living on social security.”

Over 30 million Chinese homes have a dog or cat, and most do not agree with their country’s laws. Fearing for their dogs’ lives, Beijing residents shuttle them to kennels outside of city borders, hoping the severe enforcement will die down and that they can bring their pets home again.

The unknown officer is doing his part to keep dogs safe. He says he has rescued 12 dogs so far this summer, 5 of them being kept at his home, much to the chagrin of his wife.

The regulations are unreasonable,” he said matter of factly. “If people can afford to raise (more than) one dog, I don’t see why it should be illegal.”

DISCLAIMER: At Life With Dogs, we know that any stories we post about dogs in China are controversial and can incite passionate statements from dog-lovers. But any comments that are viewed as hateful, racist or bigoted will be deleted. Especially nasty or repeated attacks may lead to being banned. Please try to be open-minded about a culture that is slowly changing to view dogs in a positive manner, and do not judge an entire country or culture based on the beliefs and behaviors of some. Remember that while western culture may view dog-eating as barbaric, other cultures may feel the same about our decisions to eat cows and pigs, who are subjected to cruel conditions from birth until they are slaughtered. We do, however, understand that dogs in China are subjected to torture and inhumanely killed for fur, meat and other reasons. We do NOT support this in any part of the world, nor do we support the mistreatment of any living creature. We only aim to show how the world is changing for the better, to promote the respect and care of all animals and to commend those that do.

August 2, 2013 7:33 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

In Germany after the war and the war trials were going on, soldiers were convicted of their roles in mass killings of innocent people. Their excuse was “They were following orders” but were still convicted on the basis that within them was their conscience dictating right from wrong and their responsibility was to do the “right” thing regardless of orders given. Cheers for this Hero policeman who follows his conscience.

• August 2, 2013 11:57 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Davyd

Lars Bo Lomholt was an officer inDenmark when a German Shepard was scheduled to be killed. He went and took the dog ( in uniform) from the pound and saved the dog. Lost his job, is still in legal proceedings. I met him at the No Kill Conference last month. He has no regrets. Both these cops have the humanity we hope all cops have. https://www.facebook.com/larsbo.lomholt

August 3, 2013 8:16 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

God bless this man for being a compassionate human being and following his heart to do what is the right thing to do, against what he is told to do.. All animals deserve respect…we are all in this together, and have to look out for one another.

August 4, 2013 5:32 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

What a wonderful man.
    I find it silly to have a ban on large dogs because they ‘might bite’ , it has been my experience that the little dogs are more prone to bite than the large dogs.

August 5, 2013 3:38 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

he is a wonderful humanbeaing the world needs more people like him bless him xx

August 6, 2013 8:56 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

May God bless him for his compassionate and humane heart! I only wish there were more like him, in this world.

August 6, 2013 8:56 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Thank you for renewing my hope in humans. Thank you for saving those dogs. You are an angel in disguise. Bless you.

August 8, 2013 2:57 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

God bl

August 9, 2013 9:48 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Rhonda

I have seen videos of dogs in China, and how they r being killed. It is inhumanely barbaric. I pray 4 them every night 4 “GOD” 2 bless there souls. Bless this man 4 doing what he is doing.

August 13, 2013 3:24 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Thank God for this ONE chinese man who is humane & compassionate. There should be more like him in China & else were !!!

August 14, 2013 7:16 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Rhonda clemmer

Thank you so much…The videos have givin me nightmares.This is the first time I have ever read of anyone in China trying to save them from the most horrific form of torture I have even seed on tape.Thank you for restoring my faith….godbless…..

August 17, 2013 9:32 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Danita Gainey

Keep up the good work. If I were there I’d help you.

August 18, 2013 11:19 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I think what the man in China is doing is wonderful! I know we may not agree with China’s laws but we must try to understand that is what their beliefs,rules are and how their culture is sad but true yes if I could go save all those fur babies I would in a heartbeat but I can’t and I am saddened by all this but we also have to realize look what we do to the animal’s here in the United States! Is it really any different?

December 15, 2013 2:55 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Nina

I know it is diffrent in Kina and other countrys, and i do eat meat
      But if they have to kill any animal let it be in a humain way without pain and toture
      Please…

August 19, 2013 9:19 amPosted 1 year ago
    GreatDaneMan

There are two billion people living in China. There are twenty million people living in Beijing, that is more than double New York City. The air is polluted and there are not nearly enough parks and trees to acommodate what we in the west view as a regular setup for owning a dog.
    It is a responsible view to ensure that animal waste and terrible conditions for larger animals do not become a problem. It is SADDER to me that there are people willing to drag animals into unhealthy destinations only to leave them there while they work a 10-15 hour day.
    I do not agree with Chinese policy, but I RESPECT that it exists to regulate and control potential bad behaviour in OWNERS.
    So in this case, don’t hate the game, hate the players.

August 22, 2013 10:21 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I wish I could help him.

August 25, 2013 12:46 amPosted 1 year ago
    Heathor

In regard to this site’s warning before commenting, cows and pigs were not evolved by humans for 30,000 years to be intelligent, social animals. It isn’t a cultural issue, it’s an ethical issue.

September 14, 2013 11:53 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Sam

Good to see people caring for golden retrievers in China.

October 5, 2013 7:38 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Grace Nicolay

as Andrea answered I’m impressed that any one able to earn $6118 in 1 month on the internet. official statement http://www.star48.com