Dog Sacrifices Own Life Defending Owner from Sharks

At Johns Creek Harbor, Australia, a dog that was once homeless and malnourished went from being stray and lonely, to loved and spoiled. Everyone at the harbor loved the stray, but for Franz Van Derpoll, the lonely dog went from being the community pet to becoming his best friend and life savior.

The stray dog was named Sky and she became Derpoll’s constant companion.

“She was with me 24/7,” Derpol told told The West Australian. “If I was driving a fork lift to work she was on the fork lift. If I went out on the boat doing passenger runs she was on the boat with me.”

Sky. Photo Credit: Kate Freegard

Sky. Photo Credit: Kate Freegard

On one afternoon the inseparable duo headed out to catch some fresh fish. As usual Derpoll dove into the water looking for the perfect catch, what he didn’t know was that there were two sharks nearby circling him.

When he realized he was in danger he decided to go around his boat and get back on for safety, but by this time his loyal friend Sky had perceived her best friend was in danger and had dove in to defend him.

Sadly, the sharks took Sky’s life, but if it wasn’t for her brave actions, Derpoll’s family and friends would be mourning him instead.

“She probably decided to jump over the side to protect me and when I came up from my second dive there was lots of blood in the water and no dog,” said Derpoll. “I had two good years with her in the end but sometimes I wish it was me and not her.”

Sky is no longer in the physical world but her presence will never be forgotten. There is a special plaque hanging at Johns Creek Harbor, in memory of Sky.

Related posts

June 17, 2014 2:30 amPosted 2 months ago
    Mark

Once again a APBT does something great yet they are still banned and usually vilified why is that?

Woof woof! Thumb up 17 Thumb down 3

June 17, 2014 9:40 amPosted 2 months ago
    Burt

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 26

June 17, 2014 10:22 amPosted 2 months ago
      Ray Orr

Oh Burt… you’re so brave posting negative comments on websites with an anonymous name. Your parents must be SO PROUD of what you’ve become.

Woof woof! Thumb up 8 Thumb down 3

June 17, 2014 10:26 amPosted 2 months ago
      Paper

Dogsbite.org is a site created from a pitbull hater. What else can you expect? The facts you say don’t even add up. Did you know that there are thousands of pitbulls? Thousands! If they were so dangerous then thousands of people would be dead. Almost all of the dogs that bite, the media labels them pitbulls. You never see the dogs. Most of the time it’s a mixed breed or a complete different breed of dog.

Also did anybody notice that the breed is no where mentioned?! 90% of the time when a pitbull does something good the breed is never mentioned!

Woof woof! Thumb up 18 Thumb down 0

June 17, 2014 12:01 pmPosted 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Dogsbite never let the actual truth get in the way of their “mission”. They couldn’t… their founder’s story has changed so many times over the years that if they actually paid attention to facts they would all have whiplash.

Woof woof! Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

June 18, 2014 5:09 pmPosted 2 months ago
          Tom Tilley

Before I knew the truth about dogsbite.org I had emailed them about an error in the news reporting of the breed of a dog involved in a fatal attack. I had seen a photo showing part of the body of the dog after it had been shot. It didn’t appear to be a ‘pit bull’ and I decided to check into it further. Although I live in Canada and the attack had occurred in San Antonio Texas, I was able by telephone to contact animal services there and spoke directly to an Animal Control officer that had actually seen the dog. She confirmed my suspicions and told me the dog was clearly a Lab type. I, thinking dogsbite.org was a reputable organization concerned with compiling accurate information on dog attacks, wrote an email to them with the information I had attained and its source. dogsbite.org refused to correct the error in their reporting and to this day the dog involved in the fatal attack is listed as a ‘pit bull’. YOU CANNOT TRUST dogsbite.org THEY KNOWINGLY LIE and FALSIFY DATA.

Woof woof! Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

June 17, 2014 11:58 amPosted 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Iregardless of what you may think of pitbulls, one way or the other, it dishonors her memory to argue about it here.

Woof woof! Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

June 17, 2014 3:32 pmPosted 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Irregardless is not a word.

Yow. What do you think? Thumb up 2 Thumb down 6

June 17, 2014 12:27 pmPosted 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It’s funny how one story turns into somthing else!

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 1

June 17, 2014 8:06 pmPosted 2 months ago
    Shadow

Your a BIG HERO SKY! R.I.P. Your up in DOGGIE HEAVEN now.

Woof woof! Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0