Bait Animals Found Clinging To Life After Being Used In Dog Fighting Circuits

A brutal practice in the illegal dog fighting circuit sacrifices smaller animals as bait to excite the dogs before they go in the ring.

Dog experts say the worst of the fighting rings are concentrated in areas throughout Los Angeles, mainly in Pacoima, Panorama City, Sylmar and Van Nuys. Fight organizers in these areas have been subjecting thousands of animals to abject torture for the sake of entertainment: police and local rescuers have seen enough, and are determined to put an end to dog fighting.

“Sometimes, they’ll cut their face up to draw blood on their face,” said Sasha Abelson, an independent dog rescuer, describing how handlers ‘prepare’ the bait animals.

“People will steal family pets, cats, puppies and throw them into the rings to excite the fighting dogs,” according to Abelson.

1-year-old Zeke was recently found on the verge of death after being used for bait. Zeke was riddled with dozens of puncture wounds and lacerations. “The bait allows the fighting dog to taste blood and allows that dog to think it’s OK,” said Kyle Schwab, a 20-year animal rescue veteran with “Smash Face Rescue”, in Van Nuys.

He says it’s clear that Zeke never stood a chance. “His wounds, they’re all defensive – he has no offensive wounds,” Schwab said.

CBS2’s Mike Dinow reports on “bait animals” and how more of them are being abandoned, clinging to life, and are in need of good homes, and if this is the first you’ve heard of this disturbing trend, prepare to be outraged.

Tipsters can qualify for a $5,000 reward by anonymously reporting a dog fighting ring. Call (877) NO2-FITE (662-3483). For information regarding how to adopt Zeke or another rescued dog e-mail [email protected] or visit handpawshearts.rescuegroups.org.

If you’d like to donate towards Zeke’s surgery expenses, please visit http://leonardossurgery.chipin.com/zeke-white-bait-dog.

14 thoughts on “Bait Animals Found Clinging To Life After Being Used In Dog Fighting Circuits”

1. I hope the police are able to catch the dog fighters and shut down those dog fights. Good luck to those dogs on finding good homes. The people who do the rescues are great.

2. This makes me sick to my stomach! How can people do this to the poor innocent animals? I wish the people who do this to animals get the same treatment back to them. That is why there needs to be stiffer penalties for people caught doing this. This would deter a lot of this going on!!

• Anybody want to connect how many illegal Mexicans are running/participating in these dog fighting rings???? I’m not saying it’s only them but it sure seems odd that those places have an extremely high illegal population and they don’t see dogs as pets at all! Odd that they want the US taxpayers to take care of them but they can’t even take care of dogs like they should be!

• Drugs, gangs AND dog fighting ALL go hand in hand, This fight will require the public coming forward and reporting any suspected dog fighting or dog fighting puppy mills,

3. And sadly not even a land-based venue is even needed anymore for dogfighting – these scumsucking bottomfeeding slimebags will do anything to feed their bloodlust and desire for money: I recently learned that sometimes if you hear a car driving by with several people riding in it and playing extremely loud music, there are actually fight dogs battling to the death inside the trunk. The gambling is on which dog survives. Of course not every car with extremely loud music is a fight-dog arena on wheels. But this is an increasing problem, a sick twist on neighborhood backyard/basement venues. I wish the cops would pull over every single rolling sound machine they hear because there just may be something worse going on than too much noise.

4. Oh how I wish we could use the people caught doing this to these dogs exactly the same way they use these dogs. I don’t think I would feel one iota of guilt carving up theses people to draw blood and using them as bait. People who can do this have no empathy and they have no useful reason to be on this earth. Sorry, but this is truly how I feel.

5. Folks if this enrages you, do something about it. Years ago when I read what Michael Vick did I felt like something died in me. It is not about me but that is how I felt. I started volunteering at a local animal shelter, walking the dogs, bringing dog treats me with, holding them and loving them. I started getting my friends involved and on the days I could get two of my friends to go with me we would work as a team. One would bring me a dog, I washed it and the other friend would take the dog outside in the warm sun to walk it and allow it to dry without using towels to save the shelter money in washing and drying the towels. We would do this for hours trading off washing and walking the dogs till either we were wore out physically or our hands were so dry from the dawn dish soap (dawn soap kills fleas) that they were cracked and bleeding and on some occasions we had washed every dog in the shelter. We could wash as many as 45 dogs in one day. A clean dog has a much better chance of being adopted then one that smells like poop. I always felt like I made a difference when we would wash and walk all the dogs. So folks if this story upsets you…remember it isn’t about you…but do something to make a difference. Volunteer at your local shelters. Some shelters are known to treat volunteers like crap, if that happens to you, try another shelter to volunteer at. There are some good ones out there.

• Thank you the comfort and assistance you and your friends provide for these animals; they need and deserve all the help they can get

• There are angels on this earth and I think one has just posted on here! You’ve brought tears to my eyes! We have rescue cats and a rescue dog (our 4th one). We’ve adopted out 6 cats and 2 dogs. The cats and dogs that we’ve rescued that lived on their own outside are so grateful and loving. Sometimes they look up at you like they are just amazed and thankful to be loved, cared for and have a forever home. Little do they know, they are the ones that rescue us!

6. Help support and STOP animal abuse. It’s not fair, the don’t have a choice…therefore humans need to stand up and be their voice.