City: 8 Pound Chihuahua is a Danger to Society

She may be pretty in pink, but Windsor city officials say that an eight-pound dog named Misha is vicious. The city has named the three-year-old Chihuahua to its dangerous dog registry after she broke free and nipped a teenage girl in front of her home.

“I was in shock when the city showed up,” said Gerry Piche. Jerry’s stepdaughter, Kristin Lee, owns Misha.

He said that on September 23rd of last year, he opened the front door of his home when Misha slipped past him. She approached three teenage girls who were walking past the house.

“I shooed the dog with my foot,” said victim Jessica Cosgrove in a written statement. “I realized it bit me.” Jessica mentioned that the dog also tried to bite her friends as well.

Piche was able to grab the dog, but not before the damage was done. Shortly thereafter, Kristin Lee was notified that Misha would be labeled dangerous by the city of Windsor.

“It think it’s hilarious,” said Lees, 22. “I don’t think it’s right. If you can’t protect yourself from this dog – it’s an eight-pound dog. It blew my mind. How are you going to claim this dog is a dangerous dog? I’m not going to walk my dog down the street with a muzzle. That’s what they’re telling me I have to do.”

The city’s dangerous dog ordinance requires that Lees must muzzle Misha in public, and post a dangerous dog warning sign in her front yard. Misha will have to be microchipped with a special chip that identifies her as dangerous, and Lees will face the expense of purchasing the required $1 million of liability insurance coverage.

Lees has appealed the dangerous dog designation. The Windsor Licensing Commission will issue a decision in the matter next month.

33 thoughts on “City: 8 Pound Chihuahua is a Danger to Society”

1. If the dog bit someone it needs to be kept from biting again, no matter what size. The owner’s attitude is troubling and bad owners are the reason that over the top rules are enacted. Don’t let your dog bite people, you won’t have a problem.

2. Thos little nips can do permanent damage. I have a noticeable scar on my finger from a little dog bite when I was 5. Almost 40 years ago.

3. Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the victim “shooed the dog with her foot”? That sounds like a fancy way of saying she kicked it! I’m not saying that it’s ok because the dog is small, but it sounds like dog probably felt threatened.

• Read the story again… The dog ran out of the house and towards the group of girls. After the dog bit her, she moved it away from her. By kicking it. She was protecting herself from the dog attack.

• “I shooed the dog with my foot,” said victim Jessica Cosgrove in a written statement. “I realized it bit me.”

She kicked at the dog then it bit her ….. Y did it bite her ??? bcuz she was kicking at it

4. “It think it’s hilarious,” said Lees, 22. “I don’t think it’s right. If you can’t protect yourself from this dog – it’s an eight-pound dog”

Ya honey I think it’s hilarious too that my dog never bit anyone or any other dog but because how it looks I have the same problem.

Today it’s my dog tomorrow looks like it’s your chihuahua.

5. It really doesn’t have as much to do with being an “Alpha dog” but rather being a leader and making sure the dog has proper training an socialization. I see way too many little dogs that are coddled and treated like delicate babies, the owners not knowing that they are setting up their little dogs for failure. They become territorial and biters. Anyone that has an untrained dog that attempts to bite should also accept that they are liable and will be assessed the same fines and restrictions that a large dog would. It’s not the size, it’s the fact that the dog attacked.

6. Yeah the girl probably should not have “shooed the dog with her foot” . That’s not how you approach a stray dog no matter what the size.

• The problem is that the girl is not the one who approached the “stray” dog. The dog charged at the girls walking by the house, unprovoked. A well-trained dog would not have done that. Any person has the right to protect themselves from injury. What if the girl had been immunocompromised and a single dog bite wound had set off a life-threatening infection? If the dog in this situation had been bigger, no one would protest if the city wanted to put the dog down for being dangerous. You can’t say a dog is not dangerous because they are too small to cause “real” damage. Any injury to a person or another dog is too much.