Construction Worker Rescues Dying Dog from Dumpster

8.7.13 - Dumpster Dog1

A beaten Kansas City dog left in a pet carrier and thrown in a dumpster like trash has been rescued and is recovering.

A construction worker discovered the Shih Tzu in the dumpster near ACE (Afrikan Centered Education) Academy.

The carrier was pretty large. It would take up quite a bit of space inside the dumpster so that may have been what caught their eye. But fortunately, they did look in there and got him out and now we are monitoring him,” said Tori Fugate, Manager of Marketing and Development with the KC Pet Project. “When he came in he was very still. His injury to his head was causing him to just… he was just very, very still when he got here.”

The construction workers called the little fighter Ace.

Ragan Hoelzel at KC Pet Project helps treat Ace.
Ragan Hoelzel at KC Pet Project helps treat Ace.

It was believed that Ace may have been shot in the head, but X-rays did not show a bullet.

Ace has a skull fracture and puncture. He is getting oxygen and meds to keep his brain from swelling,” said a representative from the Emergency Hospital Vet.

On Sunday, the two-year-old dog began showing an interest in food, and is opening his eyes. It is believed he will make a near-full recovery.

He will hopefully bounce back from this and he may have some neurological damage, but we really won’t know until a later date,” Fugate said.

Ace was taken in to a foster home on Monday, where he will likely stay for the duration of his recovery period. Applications for his adoption are already stacking up, but it is too early for him to permanently placed.

If you would like to help fund Ace’s recovery, please visit KC Pet Project.

0 thoughts on “Construction Worker Rescues Dying Dog from Dumpster”

1. I live in KC and I can report that little Ace is doing much better at his foster mommy’s! He is eating and sitting up.

Yay!

2. Once again, human stupidity and capacity for cruelty shown to be unbelievable! What a sick —- to have done this to a helpless dog! Coward! I hope you get beat to death!

• This is the BEST comment I’ve read in years!! EYE for an EYE!! Remember Dog spelled backwards is G.O.D. People better be careful who they ramdonly abuse!

God Bless you animal lovers!!

3. My fiancee and I would like to addopt Ace. He will be very well loved and live with 2 other small breed dogs. Please contact me if hes available once well enough

• As there are a stack of people wanting Ace, why not adopt another homeless pup? They all have a story, just not reported in the media.

4. I am crying as I type this and I just cannot figure out human acts …. you need to dig deep to find who did this , fingerprint the kennel do whatever it takes but find the beast …… I am sick to my stomach….. I help run a animal rescue and we get many many furbabies in our care but this nearly made me throw up to see this beautiful puppy fighting for life…… I hope the beast suffers for this and he /she is found ….i want to take this baby in my arms and hold him tight forever … i have 2 of my own and they are my life …. i wish i were there to adopt him … please whoever gets this precious angel ….. love and kiss him fureverrrrrrr……. 🙁

5. I just don’t understand how people can be cruel to animals, kids and the old people. I sure hope the little puppy gets well and gets a good home.

6. how on earth can one live with themselves after doing something like this to a God given creature? I will never understand it. this precious little animal did nothing to deserve this awful crime. how terrible to be beaten and abandoned. a dog is the most loyal and loving creature in the world…and to have its owner do this to them??? they should be ashamed!!! I hope that their punishment is far greater than what they did to this poor little dog. Ace…sending you love and hugs and prayers for a quick and full recovery. paws up little guy!!!