Dog Braves Traffic to Guard Slain Companion

These photos show a scene that is deeply saddening, but remarkably heart-touching.  A stray male dog in Zhangzhou, China stood over his deceased female companion who had likely been struck by a car, all while risking being struck himself.

He is known to locals as Zhangzhou, and was heartbroken when his mate was killed.  Butcher Xiao Wu said he frequently saw the pair playing together, and had just begun feeding them.  He watched as the forlorn dog licked his friend’s face and lovingly nudged her with his nose, as if trying to wake her.  He tried to hug her, and Wu could swear he was crying.

“He stayed beside her the whole day, licking her and pushing her, trying to wake her up.  It’s very touching,” Wu explained.  “Then he pushed her with his head, and licked her face.  I even saw tears.”

Perhaps people were afraid of the oncoming traffic, are desensitized to seeing dogs struck by cars or just have cultural differences that cause dogs’ lives to not be as highly valued as they are in the US, but no one appears to have attempted to move either dog from the street for some time.  Zhangzhou held his vigil for his lost loved one for over six hours.

13 thoughts on “Dog Braves Traffic to Guard Slain Companion”

1. I don’t even know what to say that wouldn’t involve curse words so I better just say I hope this little dog has a better life and the butcher rots in hell.

2. My heart breaks for this lil guy! The pictures brought tears to my eyes. If you did not feel alittle stur of emotion looking at these pictures or reading this story you might want to seek help.

Soo very sad!!!

3. My heart is broken! Nobody has feelings! The dog is more humane than humanity!

4. I am a Chinese American and thank god my parents didn’t raise me that way (they’re from HK btw). We were a huge animal loving family and would never have stood by and just watched this poor dog mourn the loss of his partner. This dog would’ve been rescued if we saw him in the middle of the street like that. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for my own dog or any animal that crosses my path. Sometimes I can’t understand how people of my ethnicity can be so cold and heartless. It embarasses and sickens me.

5. cold hearted assholes I hate anyone that dont value the lives of dogs, even if its a country of billions. I pray something good happens to this poor dog like get adopted maybe a sponsor from an organization can send for him here in the states to live out his life in peace…

6. Poor little guy. my heart is breaking for him. He looks so devastated. Yet the butcher that described the scene couldn’t go over and help. Dogs are so much more humane than most people.

7. I would like to know from the writer,if he/she cannot tell the butcher to look for the dog…? Or what did happen next?