Dog Miraculously Survives being Thrown off Overpass onto Highway

A German Shepherd named Rookie is lucky to be alive after being thrown from an overpass onto a busy Oklahoma City highway.  He fell over 16 feet and managed to not be struck by a single car before being pulled to safety by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper.

“Other than the leg fracture, he’s got a few skid marks on him, and that’s about it that we can find right now,” Deer Creek Animal Hospital vet technician Kate Bellah said.

The four-year-old survivor also has some internal injuries, and is in critical but stable condition.

“Other than that, he has pretty good spirits,” said Bellah.  “He’s still got a long way to go before he’s probably going to be ready for any kind of surgery.”

Vets are waiting to perform surgery on his leg because Rookie is likely still in shock, and being put under anesthesia is risky.

A truck driver witnessed someone heartlessly chuck him over the bridge and called in the incident.  The Sheriff’s department is searching for Rookie’s owner, who may be the person responsible.  The Humane Society is covering the medical treatment and is offering a reward of $2,500 for information leading to the arrest of the party responsible.  Anyone with information is advised to call the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office at (405) 869-2501.

“This is just a tragic, really sick situation,” Sheriff’s Spokesman Mark Myers said.  “For someone to take a defenseless dog and just toss it off of a bridge over a major interstate, I really don’t understand how someone could do something like that.”

Jennifer Fisher, the OHP trooper who rescued him, has adopted the injured dog.

“The look on his face and his eyes just broke my heart,” she said.
News9.com – Oklahoma City, OK – News, Weather, Video and Sports |

10 thoughts on “Dog Miraculously Survives being Thrown off Overpass onto Highway”

1. Hoping Rookie makes a full recovery. If they catch the person/people that threw this poor dog off a bridge, I would not be against Trooper Fisher pistol whipping them.

2. I can’t imagine there would ever be a time I wouldn’t have animals, but even if I didn’t have animals, I would never move into a complex or what have you that didn’t allow animals. First off, I don’t like or trust people who don’t like animals. If my animals don’t like someone, I don’t want anything to do with that person or those people. I find my animals are always the very best judge of character, or the lack thereof. I’m so sorry Rookie had to go through everything he’s had to endure, but I think he’s likely in the very best hands now. Hopefully there will be an investigation and they will find the assh*le who hurt Rookie and bring a world of hurt down on them. I don’t see how they will ever be able to prosecute them, but that isn’t always the last word in the world of hurt. Thanks to all who helped.

• Sorry, this post was in response to another post on another site regarding Rookie, and was not intended for use on “Life with Dogs” I inadvertantly posted it here by mistake. Most of the content is still pertinant as it does pertain to Rookie and the abuse he suffered at the hands of an unknown ass.

3. Hope for speedy recovery and thanks to the trooper for adopting the dog – as for the heartless person Karma will find you! I hope somebody invent some kind of the laser or other treatment to erase all the bad from people’s brain because we were not created to be beasts

4. This just broke my heart. A German Shepard is such a devoted breed. They would give their life for you.You r their love, their partner, their best friend.They would protect you , you r the appl f their eye. I hope whoever did this DIES a SLOW, AGONIZING DEATH!!!

• to anonymous: ANY dog will give their love,devotion, and most of all trust and life… we need stricter laws in order to stop this hurt and abuse towards our animals………………………………….never in history have we had so much hate.. were we went wrong is lack of respect when we took our right to spank our children..the disrespect we get from our children or others children…. even our teachers can not control these kids anymore.. they are out of control, there behaviors are killing this world.. remember these kids grow up and become monsters..bulling starts at home with siblings (sometimes) and then in the school yard, doesn’t stop there..now toward our defenceless animals…

5. at least a good situation came out of it, rookie is in good hands and is adopted my the same compassionate trooper that saved her, GOD bless her and wish her and rookie a good life together! I hope they find the piece of shit that did this and be brought to justice

6. and when they catch the s.o.b. who did this, please toss him off the same bridge only make sure it’s directly into the path of an oncoming 18-wheeler fully loaded.